Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bolt on shafts and subframe
mistergrumpy

posted on 31/12/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Bolt on shafts and subframe

Following on from my bargain thread. How do I get the driveshafts off the subframe? Is it simply a case of removing the torx/hex head bolts and removing one from the diff. cos they keep rounding and they're tighter than a Yorkshiremans wallet

pathfinder

posted on 31/12/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Yup that’s all, they are tight little feckers, I soaked them in wd40 for a day and still needed to chisel them off!
MikeRJ

posted on 31/12/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Have a search of the archives, long history of removal problems with these little gits.
BenB

posted on 31/12/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I can concur that they're a right PITA!!! Soaked them in WD40 for a few days but still no joy. Ended up grinding the heads off to release the shaft then using a combination of pliers and stud extractors on the resultant studs (didn't have a welder then for the weld-on-a-nut job) I managed to get them free....
rusty nuts

posted on 31/12/06 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cut them off and replace with new bolts, has been covered loads of times.
stevec

posted on 31/12/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Give each one a sharp blow on the head, this will shock them and they will come undone easier.
Steve.

givemethebighammer

posted on 31/12/06 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
impact wrench shifted all of mine. Only managed to break one halfords professional T40 bit (which they replaced no questions asked.
smdl

posted on 31/12/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Broke two bits without moving a single one. Finally ground off half of the heads, leaving a semi-circle with one big, flat side, and then used a hammer and chisel on the top edge of the flat in order to spin them loose in a counter-clockwise manner. As soon as they were broken loose, I could remove each one with just my fingers.

Hope this helps.

Shaun

[Edited on 31/12/06 by smdl]

mistergrumpy

posted on 1/1/07 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, so I need to show them a bit of loving eh. Tried a few searches but unless you get the correct words (and english isn't my best language despite being born here and living here all my life!) you're on a bit of a loser. This search button seems a bit tempramental compared with some.It'll be computery things no doubt.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.