Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: turbochargeing bosch k-jetronic
goodall

posted on 25/3/07 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
turbochargeing bosch k-jetronic

simple or difficult?

have the inlet manifold of the diesel engine and the exhaust manifold as well and the turbo and the assorted piping for the diesel but i want to fit it to the petrol version of the engine so can would it be difficult to do this does anyone know and even if it was what all do i need that i dont have there

worX

posted on 25/3/07 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have heard of it done before but iirc I am not sure that you can use a diesel turbo in a petrol application.

I think that apart from sometimes being a smaller turbo to ease lag, the diesel turbo has some fundamental differences - I'm sure someone on here knows what they are, but, sorry I don't!

cheers,
Steve.

Peteff

posted on 25/3/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
There was a turbo expert on here last year who mentioned that the diesel turbo doesn't stand up to the heat generated by petrol engines too well in the long term, different material specs.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Julian B

posted on 25/3/07 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Turbocharging is somthing that you should read up on before you start. If you get it wrong you will spend a huge amount of time, effort and cash getting problems that can very quickly destroy your engine.

Read this book "Forced Induction Performance Tuning" by A.Graham Bell. ISBN 1 85960 691 1 £25.00

You will find that its £25 very well spent.
It has all the calculations and explanations on how to turbocharge or supercharge an engine.

Hope that helps

BenB

posted on 25/3/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
The Corky Bell books on forced induction are also well worth reading....
rusty nuts

posted on 25/3/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC Diesel inlet manifold has no throttle butterfly as throttle operates on the injector pump
goodall

posted on 25/3/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
well even if i cant use the manifold with turbo on it im sure the one that is on the engine as normal will work fine just wont look as good

so the turbo might be useless then, what if i find out the output for the turbo they used on the petrol engine, then i dont need to read any book i guess

Digger Barnes

posted on 25/3/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting one, I will be converting a K-Jet engine later this year to forced induction. Although I will be supercharging rather than turbo (less pipe work for a cleaner look under the bonnet).

I will be junking the K-Jet injection and going to megasquirt with ford edis for coil on plug (I have spoken to people who have kept K-Jet when doing the conversion and it would appear to be more trouble than its worth).

In my conversion I will be also lowering the compression of the engine from 10.5:1 to 8.5:1, using stronger con rods, (already got a stronger custom crank in), Increasing the cooling capacity and adding an intercooler.

P.S. Also already had a TSR Pack C head fitted (oversize valves and interesting porting) with a fast road cam. Although not necessary for the conversion.

[Edited on 25/3/07 by Digger Barnes]

Julian B

posted on 25/3/07 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
like diger has said

you should at least worry about

Compression Ratio
Ignition timing
Octain boosting
Intercooling

you also need to know or should think about

How much boost you intend to run.
volumetric efficency.
pressure ratio.
air flow of the engine.
Injector sizing.
Nock detection/anti detination protection.
etc etc

Or you could just guess, stick it on and see what happens!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.