Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: chassis triangulation
oadamo

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
chassis triangulation

hi iam building a chassis but icant make my mind up about the triangulation. so can you help me out. iam making it out of 25x25x1mm box to keep it as light as possible. soz about the crap drawing lol.
adam

this is an outline of the chassis

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this?

There is a chassis idea in it

blakep82

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
something like this maybe?
Description
Description

sorry, have to admit, i don't entirely undersand your drawing

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

oadamo

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
ive just lost a page full from not logging in but iam making my own version of this but i want to see how light i can make it but still safe.
adam

andyps

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
That one doesn't have any triangulation, just some lovely carbon fibre, and a pretty big price tag.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

blakep82

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
That one doesn't have any triangulation, just some lovely carbon fibre, and a pretty big price tag.

yeah, i was thinking that too...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

oadamo

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
lol iam making the locost version. with alloy side panels the tub bit that you sit in and carbon fiber outer panels.
adam

JoelP

posted on 18/9/07 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
id say you start diagram isnt quite right. You should approach from the angle of sorting all your 'points' first, ie the 10 or so points for the front suspension mounts, the engine mounts, seat mounts, diff mounts etc. Once these points are located, link them by appropriate straight lines where possible (ie not through you or the engine), then triangulate like in the piccy above. Use a thinner tube for triangulation, if its done right it will be mostly loaded in tension and compression, no bending, so save weight and dont be shy of adding extra bars where ever you want to.

The standard locost chassis is far from perfect, but it still works. If you avoid glaring errors and weld it well you quite literally cannot go wrong. Experience learned can be applied to future cars!

iank

posted on 19/9/07 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Once more I'm going to suggest going to a model shop and buying lots of balsa wood strips and a glue gun.

Stick together the main spaceframe shape you want (to scale i.e. if using 2.5mm square balsa make it 10:1) and add triangulation by twisting the model gently and thinking about what would make it stiffer.

When you're happy make some wheels and skin it with thin card and keep it in the garage for inspiration when making the real thing

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

oadamo

posted on 20/9/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
ive sorted it out now the designer guy at works gonna design it on his computer and stress test it to see how good it will be.
adam

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.