Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 3d software.
Paul (Notts)

posted on 12/4/08 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
3d software.

Starting to plan the next project based on the 1.7 Ford puma that will become a spare car at the end of the year.

I could really do with some sort of 3d design software to visualise the end result.

Anyone suggest a free version of some thing or a good site to download from.

Have spent the last few months raiding everyone’s photo archives for chassis ideas and Kimis book should arrive today. Will be starting a welding course in September and looking to start building next January, So the next 6 months is all planning and ideas.

Paul

Puk

posted on 12/4/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Check out this thread:

http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=86445

My vote is for google's sketch up - easy to use, easy to publish and free.

There are also a bunch of CAD files here:

Locost CAD files

Cheers,
James

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

MikeR

posted on 12/4/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Now could anyone teach me how to use CAD software. I'm an ex developer, pretty PC literate but i just don't get how you make a 3d model.
Delinquent

posted on 12/4/08 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Now could anyone teach me how to use CAD software. I'm an ex developer, pretty PC literate but i just don't get how you make a 3d model.

if you choose your software first, there are loads of really good tutorials out there that will help you. I started my car project having never touched 3D Cad before, and managed to produce the first effort with virtually no help. Refining things took a bit more help, but knowing the basics I was able to comprehend instructions much better.

Mansfield

posted on 12/4/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I use Autocad 3d every day and it is fine for me, I can do anything I want with it although it is not a 'proper' package like Solidworks etc.

You are welcome to a copy even though it may not be the easiest to learn, the helpline isn't far away.

I love speed :-P

posted on 12/4/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Solidworks has some good tutorials build in which get you going

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mansfield

posted on 12/4/08 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
This Roadster rear bottom wishbone took me 20 minutes, I should have drawn the front one as it has a bit more detail. Just to show you what it can do. Rescued attachment roadsterbottombone2.jpg
Rescued attachment roadsterbottombone2.jpg

D Beddows

posted on 12/4/08 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I use AutoCad all day every day when I'm at work so I know it inside out and upside down and yes it can do a decent job with 3d stuff as Mansfield says but I have to say that Solidworks is actually MUCH quicker and easier for 3d.
Mansfield

posted on 13/4/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like I need a look at Solidworks, anyone know where I can find a copy?

Does it take up much hard drive space? I haven't got much left!

JimGTI

posted on 13/4/08 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
we have mechanical desktop and solidworks at work and in my opinion Autodesk is soooooooo far behind in the 3d modelling stakes compared to solidworks/edge.

That said once you have mastered the idiosyncrosies of Mech Desktop its not too bad. It does allow you to make lots of assumptions that come back and bite you later on. Although you could put this down to better modelling practices and housekeeping

Mansfield

posted on 13/4/08 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
I have a copy of Solid Edge, what can that do for us?
dzine

posted on 13/4/08 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimGTI
we have mechanical desktop and solidworks at work and in my opinion Autodesk is soooooooo far behind in the 3d modelling stakes compared to solidworks/edge.

Sorry, but what a load of rubbish.

If you are going to compare SW to an Autodesk product, at least make it Inventor! I use both at work, and have found that the two programs are very similar, and really depend on the user as to what flavour they prefer.

Dont forget Autodesk also have some amazing surfacing programs too. 3DS, Alias, Showcase etc...

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=10810562

D Beddows

posted on 13/4/08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
And if you re read the original post it actually asks about 3d software to visualise the finished car in which case we're all taking a load of rubbish and the OP needs 3d Max as nothing really comes close for visuals
dzine

posted on 13/4/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hahaha... good point! 3DS would be great for that, but I think the $$$ would make it somewhat prohibitive for the average person (legally).

I hear good things about Alibre design software... and for what you are doing, you can even download the Alibre Xpress version, which I understand is free

Tralfaz

posted on 13/4/08 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
I will second, or is it third? the Sketchup recommendation.

FWIW here is an example of an idea I had and what I was able to do with the program.

Description
Description

If you need to, the full version of Sketchup can export in DWG format to more elaborate CAD type programs

dzine

posted on 14/4/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
That’s pretty incredible!

Did you make that in separate parts, then arrange in an assembly, or is it all the one part?

Puk

posted on 14/4/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you have no experience of 3d work and want to get started now - right after you've finished reading this post - go Sketchup. I was a pro AutoCAD man, and have SolidWorks - but for conceptual design sketchup is easy, free, and the tutorials are built in.

Now if I need to design components and send the diagrams for fabrication, sketchup starts becoming limiting so personally I'd go for SolidWorks - its harder to use than Sketchup but does more. I guess its similar to the difference between good old Visual Basic and Csharp.

Having never used Sktechup before I managed to knock this sketch of a fabricated upright out in about 2 hours.

Fabricated Upright
Fabricated Upright

Before you judge a guy, walk a mile in his shoes. Then when you judge him, you're a mile a way and you've nicked his shoes.

Tralfaz

posted on 14/4/08 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dzine
That’s pretty incredible!

Did you make that in separate parts, then arrange in an assembly, or is it all the one part?

Well the chassis and paneling are all one bit (unfortunately-actually as it makes editing harder, I should have broken it up better). The wheels, seat, brakes, etc. etc. are all 'components'. To be honest I downloaded the wheels from the Sketchup 3D warehouse and just reworked them to suit my taste.

T

PS There is no denying that Sketchup is NOT an engineering tool, but it will allow you to create an idea quickly and does give you enough information back to make the transition to actual CAD systems which can be very challenging to learn while maintaining the creative motivation. Since I drew this I have gotten better with Solidworks, and it is nothing short of awesome. the ability to create an assembly of parts that function as if they are actually connected in a 3d environment is brilliant. BUT! it is a royal PITA when it comes to reworking a complex part or assembly (compared to sketchup). The same features that make it a great engineering tool get in the way...For visual design I don't care if a part won't fit by 2mm!!!

[Edited on 14/4/08 by Tralfaz]

Benonymous

posted on 15/4/08 at 01:29 AM Reply With Quote
A bit of googling revealed this.

quote:

GMax is derived from AutoCAD going WAY back to the early days of CAD and 3D Design. For 2D layouts and outline cutting it's pretty hard to beat. Functions like rounded corners on rectangles are about as simple as you can get.. you just stipulate the amount of rounding required when you make the rectangle and GMAX will do the rest...

Here's the link for the page with both a download link for G-Max and the G-code plugin.

http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_toolkit.htm

You'll need a Yahoo Groups membership I think.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.