Board logo

Indy pics!
Twin40 - 8/3/12 at 10:25 AM

Thought i'd post up a few pics of the build so far, cannot wait to get this thing on the track!

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

maccmike - 8/3/12 at 11:20 AM

wow, concours or what!

tomgregory2000 - 8/3/12 at 11:26 AM

i want your 2 post lift

rost - 8/3/12 at 11:44 AM

shiny!

fesycresy - 8/3/12 at 12:51 PM

On the second picture, the end of the chassis rail looks open?

Also the rear of the top wishbone is open, do you get a cap for this?

roadrunner - 8/3/12 at 03:08 PM

That doesn't belong on the track. It belongs on some ones bedroom wall.

bobinspain - 8/3/12 at 04:23 PM

Stunning. Gorgeous! Boffo! (I'm envious). That's just the garage!
The car's none too shabby either.

pauladamss - 8/3/12 at 05:00 PM

Love the colour

Johneturbo - 8/3/12 at 05:02 PM

(in my best ali G accent)
It's bling init

Twin40 - 9/3/12 at 07:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
On the second picture, the end of the chassis rail looks open?

Also the rear of the top wishbone is open, do you get a cap for this?

Cheers for the comments guys,

Yep i've got caps for the end of the chassis rail, but thats a good idea for the wishbones - could cover them over too. Cheers!

I'll post up some more shots after the weekend

Twin40 - 12/3/12 at 08:51 AM

bit of an update:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

those side panels are a b*gger to fit properly!!

scootz - 12/3/12 at 08:55 AM

l0rd - 12/3/12 at 09:25 AM

loving it

Irony - 13/3/12 at 04:50 PM

Awesome - What is the finish on the Chassis?

40inches - 13/3/12 at 05:04 PM

Really like the chassis colour

fimi7 - 13/3/12 at 11:12 PM

Did you put something on the backside of the side panels. They look pretty from inside the car. Somewhat shiny. Or is it just the photo angle. I am about to put on my panels and was just thinking of adding an aluminium panel behind it.

Twin40 - 14/3/12 at 07:24 AM

The chassis colour is just a silver powdercoat, supplied straight from MK!

Yep thats an aluminium panel on the inside, thought it looked a bit better than the fibreglass.

Cheers

C.

fimi7 - 14/3/12 at 08:31 AM

Did you bond the aluminium panel to the fiber glass, or to the chassis?

Twin40 - 14/3/12 at 10:03 AM

No i riveted/bonded the panels to the frame.

Description
Description

roadrunner - 14/3/12 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Twin40
No i riveted/bonded the panels to the frame.

Description
Description

Is that your donor bike engine in the background.
Sorry couldn't resist.
Very nice .

40inches - 14/3/12 at 10:43 AM

Did you treat the ally with lacquer or clear powder coat? Bare ally looks ok for a month or two, but looks a bit naff when it goes dull

Neville Jones - 14/3/12 at 12:07 PM

Still the dodgy roll cage front legs. When is MK going to rectify this abortion?

What's under the front roll hoop bottom mounts? Not a lot from what the pics show.

Nev.

loggyboy - 14/3/12 at 12:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
Still the dodgy roll cage front legs. When is MK going to rectify this abortion?

What's under the front roll hoop bottom mounts? Not a lot from what the pics show.

Nev.

To be fair this has been discussed in his previous thread so no point in digging it up again. Owner has been made aware of the differing opinions on the legality of the cage.

Neville Jones - 14/3/12 at 04:20 PM

The legality of the cage is the least of the problems.

What's supporting that front leg lower end? In mid air on a piece of 3mm plate???

I've done a few cages in MK's, and never been responsible for something like that.

Cheers,
Nev.

Minicooper - 14/3/12 at 06:47 PM

quote:

Nev.

Why do you hate MK so much, this seems much more than just an opinion on a rollcage leg, what's really bothering you. Are you and procomp related?

David

jacko - 14/3/12 at 07:13 PM

quote:

Nev.

So how do you do it as you asy you have put some cages in MK cars ? [ just in case i make a cage for my car ] do you have photos i - we can look at
Thanks jacko

Ps i like the look of the car in this link nice colour

noc231073 - 14/3/12 at 08:16 PM

Nev
Same old record!!! you are boring us

If you don't have anything constructive to say then just dont say it

Btw nice motor

ReMan - 14/3/12 at 09:06 PM

I want a cage for my MK, probably a late summer upgrade (I dont do winter upgrades as I have no indoor workspace) ? (literally)
What do you reccommend I do, and and where and at what price?

austin man - 14/3/12 at 09:43 PM

quote:
The legality of the cage is the least of the problems.

What's supporting that front leg lower end? In mid air on a piece of 3mm plate???

I've done a few cages in MK's, and never been responsible for something like that.

Cheers,
Nev.

Yawn yawn yawn, look at MK's website and the chasis on the wall of their workshop, both prove the strength of a 100mph plus accident resulting in a barrel roll.

Think you need to get a life fella the cage is welded to the upper chasis rail as well as the lower chasis rails and has been accepted for racing purposes. Im really please you believe you have designed / built cages why not sell them on your own merit rather than slagging off others.

loggyboy - 14/3/12 at 09:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
Yawn yawn yawn, look at MK's website and the chasis on the wall of their workshop, both prove the strength of a 100mph plus accident resulting in a barrel roll.

Think you need to get a life fella the cage is welded to the upper chasis rail as well as the lower chasis rails and has been accepted for racing purposes. Im really please you believe you have designed / built cages why not sell them on your own merit rather than slagging off others.

Evidence of one crash cant be used as a relaible source that a cage is 100% safe. Ive seen that crash, very little force was taken directly by the cage.

Jon Ison - 14/3/12 at 10:14 PM

No cage can be 100% safe can it ?

I walked away from a 90mph impact straight into the wall backwards at Cadwell, I also walked away from a 80mph incident that saw the car clear a 5' high edge on it's side before rolling 3 times with full cage impact, both occasions MK chassis n cage.

This always gets like a willy waving competition, but it always seems to be the competition waving their willys.

That's my 2p.

austin man - 14/3/12 at 10:15 PM

did you see the crash or the pictures? I saw both as I was at oulton park on the day, the pictures show very little of the incident which included several barrel rolls the car flipping nose to tail to mention a few of the aerobatic stunts. I think Chris Maries would be able to substantiate the forces he felt on the day.

austin man - 14/3/12 at 10:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
No cage can be 100% safe can it ?

I walked away from a 90mph impact straight into the wall backwards at Cadwell, I also walked away from a 80mph incident that saw the car clear a 5' high edge on it's side before rolling 3 times with full cage impact, both occasions MK chassis n cage.

This always gets like a willy waving competition, but it always seems to be the competition waving their willys.

That's my 2p.

well said that man

Neville Jones - 15/3/12 at 10:24 AM

quote:

Why do you hate MK so much, this seems much more than just an opinion on a rollcage leg, what's really bothering you. Are you and procomp related?

David

I don't hate MK, just dodgy build and design work pedalled by the kit industry in general. One or two of the other MXXX manufacturers are no better, and from what I've seen of the work of one in particular, very sub standard.

The MK supporters/glee club think that MK can do no wrong. The day will come when that is proven a very dangerous way to think. It may be closer than you realise, I just hope noone is badly hurt.

I'm not the only engineer on this forum. It's just a pity that the rest don't have the guts to speak up when they see downright poor design and build work.

Nev.

fimi7 - 15/3/12 at 03:30 PM

Nev,

I hear you and to some extent when I first got my MK Chassis, I had the exact same concerns. Seemed to be just hanging out there. With that said, I think you are missing what a few of the earlier comments were trying to get across.

It seems that on almost every other MK discussion specific individuals, (not saying you specifically), but on almost every other thread, the roll cage discussion seems to keep popping up. I agree that there are some aspects of the cage that just do not seem right.

What I think everyone is trying to ask, is that, yes we understand your concern, and ask that others with the same concern not constantly harp on the single topic on every thread and overload the forum with the exact same discussion over and over and over.

If anyone wants to read about the concerns on the cage, it is extremely easy to find. If you search for cage in MK section alone you get over 152 threads. lots of info out there on it...

I think we can all learn allot from each other. And I would encourage you or anyone else who has good constructive ideas on how to rectify (or replace) the cage to be more in line with an engineers specs, please open a thread on it separately, and I will be the first to ad my limited value 2 cents (or pence in the case of you guys. If possible with Pics

jacko - 15/3/12 at 04:43 PM

I feel for Twin 40 the bloke started this link to show of his nice new car and its just turned to a cage discussion
the car looks the dogs keep up the good work
Jacko

Twin40 - 16/3/12 at 10:48 AM

Thanks Jacko,

I've given up with this thread, when i get some time i'll create a build blog somewhere. Just had all the donor parts refurbished so much work to do this weekend!!

Cheers

C.

40inches - 16/3/12 at 11:02 AM

Another interesting thread ruined by pointless arguments

Tiger Super Six - 16/3/12 at 11:38 AM

quote:
Thanks Jacko,

I've given up with this thread, when i get some time i'll create a build blog somewhere. Just had all the donor parts refurbished so much work to do this weekend!!

Cheers

C.

That's a shame - ignore all the sh*t I am sure that me and many others were looking forward to your updates as it looks a really nice car

Daf - 16/3/12 at 11:54 AM

Please don’t stop posting pictures! I’m enjoying seeing this lovely clean car come together, it’d be a shame to stop the thread because of some of the non constructive comments! Top work!

bobinspain - 16/3/12 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Thanks Jacko,

Cheers

Twin40. Keep it going on here. The few negative comments aren't directed at your car per-se. Besides which, for every one negative, you've got ten postives followers.

Good luck.

Bob.

mad-butcher - 16/3/12 at 02:46 PM

nice clean looking car.
I assume the triangular bracket on the front of the transmission tunnel is for gearchange but what are the two at the rear of the tunnel for.

tony

jacko - 16/3/12 at 05:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
nice clean looking car.
I assume the triangular bracket on the front of the transmission tunnel is for gearchange but what are the two at the rear of the tunnel for.

tony

At a guess there for a electric revers motor to mount on
We may never know if he drops this link
Keep the photos coming Twin 40 please
Jacko

noc231073 - 17/3/12 at 02:09 PM

Nev
Your a prat .... Why don't you f off to some other site and wreck their posts
This also happened to me when I started posting my build ... I also got pissed off and removed any pics I posted

This forum is for people who have an interest in all things kit car... Not for people to moan about suppliers

To be honest I think your right not to post anymore ... Why post when you have to listen to tossers critising your build and your car...

Some people just know how to ruin a forum

Neville Jones - 17/3/12 at 03:23 PM

OK,

If MK and the other manufacturers built the kits to a proper standard, and fitted cages which do not openly flout MSA regs, then I would not have a reason to say what I do.

That kit looks very pretty, as does a lot of the output of MK.

But the fact that the engineering, or lack of, seriously compromises these cars can not be ignored.

It would take very little for MK and the others, to apply a little common sense, stop treating the punters as mugs, and produce safe and properly engineered kits.

If I had bought a kit like the pics, then had the shortfalls pointed out, I'd be taking it straight back for correction or restitution, just as the owner of that very pretty silver kit should do.

Nev.

40inches - 17/3/12 at 04:11 PM

Take it outside Gentlemen, and have a little respect for the OP.

jacko - 17/3/12 at 05:12 PM

quote:
OK,

If MK and the other manufacturers built the kits to a proper standard, and fitted cages which do not openly flout MSA regs, then I would not have a reason to say what I do.

That kit looks very pretty, as does a lot of the output of MK.

But the fact that the engineering, or lack of, seriously compromises these cars can not be ignored.

It would take very little for MK and the others, to apply a little common sense, stop treating the punters as mugs, and produce safe and properly engineered kits.

If I had bought a kit like the pics, then had the shortfalls pointed out, I'd be taking it straight back for correction or restitution, just as the owner of that very pretty silver kit should do.

Nev.

We here what you are saying but this thread is about how Twin 40 is building HIs car not about the so called things you have put up as i have asked in this thread what about some photos [ In a new thread ] of how you make / do then Please
I am not getting at any body just trying to help every one
Jacko

[Edited on 17/3/12 by jacko]

mad-butcher - 17/3/12 at 06:57 PM

As Said another excellent post ruined, a diving forum I'm on is often spoilt by 1 or 2 posting stupid remarks about a particular piece of kit just because they don't like it, the best way of dealing with them is to ignore their comment therefore depriving them of the attention they obviously didn't get as a child.

tony

Mad Dave - 17/3/12 at 07:54 PM

@ Neville Jones

Start your own thread and try and help the kit car manufacturers stating what they are doing wrong and how to correct it. That way we all benefit

Dave

fimi7 - 18/3/12 at 12:15 AM

Twin40

Could you take a closer pic of the front sway bar. Looks like an interesting setup.

Has anyone else run this setup before, or is it new?

bobinspain - 18/3/12 at 10:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dave
@ Neville Jones

Start your own thread and try and help the kit car manufacturers stating what they are doing wrong and how to correct it. That way we all benefit

Dave

Dave,
I'm sure Nev would happily supply fixes to the perceived problems of MXXX (select any kit) for a suitable consulatant's remuneration.
What he's doing (gratis) is pointing out perceived shortcomings to punters who buy the kits.
Whether punters (like me) choose to act on Nev's opinion is a personal, not a commercial matter.

Bob.

[Edited on 18/3/12 by bobinspain]

woodster - 18/3/12 at 11:53 AM

YAWN

mad-butcher - 19/3/12 at 08:03 AM

Sent Chris a U2U and the triangular brackets at the rear of the transmission tunnel are indeed for the reverse gear motor.

tony

ross05 - 19/3/12 at 07:38 PM

TWIN 40 please keep the photos coming,after speaking with Bob I am now considering an MK.Never considered it before and as I also live in Spain it"s a bit difficult to get to a show.So keep up the good work it looks great

cheers Russell

Toprivetguns - 19/3/12 at 08:09 PM

Keep the pictures coming in this section and ignore the person in this thread with those negative comments.

Photos help other builders and enthusiasts with those tricky questions that can only be answered with a picky!

Good luck with the remainder of your build

Twin40 - 19/3/12 at 09:44 PM

Ok bit of an update - I've recently bought some extra parts from MK, and had all the sierra parts refurbed (except the diff - anyone got a 3.14?!) I'll start a new thread with fresh pics asap!

Cheers

C.

RK - 20/3/12 at 12:10 AM

What is wrong with this one? It has "character".

Tiger Super Six - 20/3/12 at 05:30 PM

and I've bookmarked it

afj - 20/3/12 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RK
What is wrong with this one? It has "character".

Exactly, this forum would be pants if everyone liked and agreed with everything

And just to add BECs rule and the mk Indy is the best handling 'seven' ever made

Twin40 - 26/3/12 at 11:37 AM

Thought i'd post up a few more pics, the sun was out and the chassis is finally rolling.....

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

loggyboy - 26/3/12 at 11:44 AM

Looks beastful with the Slicks on! Also looks very wide track at front, maybe its the lack of arches and nose etc.

welderman - 26/3/12 at 12:36 PM

This car is looking sweet

brookie - 26/3/12 at 04:41 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

jacko - 26/3/12 at 05:31 PM

My god this is going to be one cracking car keep the photos coming
Jacko

ceebmoj - 26/3/12 at 05:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
My god this is going to be one cracking car keep the photos coming
Jacko

+1

I had not seen any pictures of one with the front and rear anti roll bar before. Is it normal to have welded anti roll bar?

Proby - 26/3/12 at 06:23 PM

Cracking! Looks very nice. Front track looks very wide, is it standard or look wide because of the lack of arches?

loony - 26/3/12 at 06:58 PM

Looks AWESOME

roadrunner - 26/3/12 at 07:40 PM

Liking the wheels and tyres.

Custardpants - 26/3/12 at 07:47 PM

What size are those wheels and tyres? looks really cool.

snoopy - 26/3/12 at 08:07 PM

no do please keep posting updates and pics as we are all interested and like to see more sadly people do spoil things mainly one of he reasons i rarely post now but yes were all inrested

b14wrc - 26/3/12 at 08:27 PM

Attention to detail is spot on. I actually think I will do my chassis silver based on how your car looks. What colour are you doing the rest of the body work eventually??

Keep us posted!

Rob

Twin40 - 27/3/12 at 06:41 AM

Thanks guys, the wheels are 13" compomotive CXN's, and yep i think the track looks particularly wide because of the lack of bodywork/arches.

I'm planning a few things for the final body graphics/colour, bit of an F1 fan if that gives you any ideas...!?!

jacko - 28/3/12 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Thanks guys, the wheels are 13" compomotive CXN's, and yep i think the track looks particularly wide because of the lack of bodywork/arches.

I'm planning a few things for the final body graphics/colour, bit of an F1 fan if that gives you any ideas...!?!

Black and Gold by any chance ?

loggyboy - 28/3/12 at 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Black and Gold by any chance ?

I thought he might be aluding to that too, but then thought the silver chassis would clash with the gold? If you are going for a JPS theme, then why not go with a gold chassis?

[Edited on 28/3/12 by loggyboy]

Twin40 - 26/4/12 at 06:02 AM

Hey guys, its been a while since i last updated this thread...managed to get a little further with the build. These kit cars take a long time to put together!

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

and this arrived last week from Malc at yorkshire engines....top bloke!!

Description
Description

Next step is getting the dry sump system and fitting the engine in. Can't wait.

Cheers

C.

[Edited on 26/4/12 by Twin40]

[Edited on 26/4/12 by Twin40]

theduck - 26/4/12 at 08:27 AM

Love those wheels!

Only thing I'd say, and I might be wrong, but the cycle wings look like they are rotate too far forward?

bobinspain - 26/4/12 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
Love those wheels!

Only thing I'd say, and I might be wrong, but the cycle wings look like they are rotate too far forward?

I think a 30 degree rear-ward rotation will do it. The new guards, being asymmetric makes any misalignment look worse than it is.
Great looking build.
Be ready for early summer.

PAUL FISHER - 26/4/12 at 09:59 AM

Yes, with your front arches in that position, your rear arches will get hammered with stone chips

AllWeatherDan - 26/4/12 at 10:09 AM

Sorry to lower the tone but does anyone have any keyboard wipes I appear to have had an accident!

Look awesome matey keep up the good work.

Dan

Twin40 - 26/4/12 at 10:23 AM

Yep i did have my concerns about the front wings, but i'd already made the first cut!! Doh!

Might have to get some new ones as having a huge gap in the back of the arch to re adjust them will look rubbish.

You live and learn eh?!

maccmike - 26/4/12 at 10:54 AM

possibly one of my most favourite cars on here!

yellowcab - 26/4/12 at 11:31 AM

My gosh that's amazing, absolutely love every aspect of the car... Love the shifter

PAUL FISHER - 26/4/12 at 12:20 PM

quote:
Yep i did have my concerns about the front wings, but i'd already made the first cut!! Doh!

Might have to get some new ones as having a huge gap in the back of the arch to re adjust them will look rubbish.

You live and learn eh?!

You could fit some small mudflaps on the bottom of the front wings, not to everyones taste, but they do save your rear arches from chips, I fitted some on the second Indy I built, because I was fed up with damged to the arches on my first car.
Here's a picture of mine fitted, not the same type of arch as yours, but you get the idea.

[img] Rescued attachment Indy usa.jpg
Rescued attachment Indy usa.jpg
[/img]

Twin40 - 26/4/12 at 12:39 PM

Thanks paul, i'll have a look into that - I innocently thought the front wings were an aero item, and as such needed the top 'wing' at a slightly forward angle. just looked at the CSR's and they sit further back. I'll find a way round it.

Thanks for the comments too.

withersdelivers - 29/4/12 at 07:29 AM

i think this is looking real nice! , doing a fantastic job on your build! keep the pics coming fella!!!

Twin40 - 18/6/12 at 11:40 AM

Hey people, waaaaay overdue for some new pics so i thought i'd add a few. Finally got round to fitting the dry sump kit, hopefully the engine will be installed this week. More pics to follow....

Cheers

C.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

A1 - 18/6/12 at 01:02 PM

Thats gorgeous! keep up the good work!

more pics!! (of the steering column please)!!

bobinspain - 18/6/12 at 01:16 PM

The minimalist transmission tunnel looks very Terminatoresque, (no such word, but you get the drift).
Lovin' it.
"I'll be back!"

Twin40 - 21/6/12 at 06:15 AM

engine is in!!!

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description