Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Winter upgrades
JeffJeffers

posted on 29/12/15 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Winter upgrades

There is a few jobs I want to get done on my MK before the sunny weather arrives.

1st job is to get a full roll cage fitted. Not a job I can do myself so before Christmas I dropped the car off at MK.
Everyone one at MK was really helpful as always even though I changed my mind on what I wanted a few times.

This is how I left the car. Will look a bit different when I collect it in a few weeks.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Another job I have to do is upgrade the diff.
I am currently running a 3.92 open diff which is not ideal with my setup.
I recently collected a 3.14 diff and a used Quaife ATB LSD. So my job over the next few days is to fit the Quaife LSD in to the 3.14 diff. I have found a workshop manual on how to rebuild the diff but if anyone has any tips they would be appreciated.

mark chandler

posted on 30/12/15 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Soak the output adjusting castle nuts in diesel to free the threads, do not try and tap them loose or the castellated bits will snap off!

You will need a long socket for the pinion nut, buy a cheap air socket for £5, cut the 1/2" drive off segment off the back and extend with a few inches of 2" roll tube/scaffold pole.

[Edited on 30/12/15 by mark chandler]

JeffJeffers

posted on 19/1/16 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advise Mark.
I have taken the crown wheel out of the diff and tried to fit the Quaife unit but it wouldn't fit.
I have spoken to Quaife who say I have to grind a little off the diff case. I've not had chance to do that yet.

I did collect my car from MK Saturday with its newly fitted roll cage and exhaust silencer.
I am really happy with it. I have now started to prep the roll cage for painting.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

bi22le

posted on 19/1/16 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
How much for the cage?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

JeffJeffers

posted on 24/1/16 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
The cage was £600 but don't tell the wife.

I spent Saturday morning at work preparing the roll cage for painting. I was there 3 hours plus I have been doing a bit in my lunch time last week and I don't feel like I have got anywhere.

While I'm painting the roll cage I have decided to do something with the floor. At the moment it is just alloy sheet which when it gets wet is really slippery. We have a couple of tins of raptor truck bed liner Paint. So I am going to use this to paint the floor.

floor prep about done
Description
Description

Description
Description

Rosco86

posted on 25/1/16 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
looking good, i will be interested to see how the floor turn out, might fancy doing mine

My Build Thread

jamesd

posted on 25/1/16 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Just done my floor with some halfords truck liner paint. Came out really well I think. Originally was going to use anti slip tape.

Description
Description

JeffJeffers

posted on 31/1/16 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
The floor looks good jamesd. Does it make it less slippery?

I haven't got that much done this week. I have finished masking the car up ready for painting. Now I just need to wait for a slow day in the paint booth so I can have it painted.
Description
Description

Another job I have got done is to make a plate to cover the hole where the old exhaust was. I have changed my engine from a 2.0l Zetec to an Hayabusa and the exhaust goes through the side panel in a slightly different place.
So I got the jig saw out and cut a piece of aluminium to cover the hole.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Rosco86

posted on 1/2/16 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
looks wicked, what is it coated in? also how are you going to fix it on?

My Build Thread

nick205

posted on 1/2/16 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jamesd
Just done my floor with some halfords truck liner paint. Came out really well I think. Originally was going to use anti slip tape.

Description
Description

Looks good to me!

I left mine in my Indy as bare Ally. This looked good to start with, but quickly scratched and looked a bit naff.

JeffJeffers

posted on 2/2/16 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
looks wicked, what is it coated in? also how are you going to fix it on?

Its just got some etch primer on. Its going to be painted black. I thought I would use a few rivnuts and stainless bolts.

Roll cage got painted today. I don't think it was a nice job to do with all the different angles. I am fairly happy with how it looks.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Did a few tests with the truck bed liner paint I'm going to use on the floor. It does have a textured effect but is still going to be slippery when wet!
So I did another test piece but put some shot grit in with it. It turned out like sand paper.

So I will use some grit in the paint in the front part of the drivers footwell and without grit everywhere else.

JeffJeffers

posted on 10/2/16 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
All the painting is now done. I have started to put it back together, which always seems to take longer than it does to take apart.

I'm really happy with how the floor has turned out. It is like sand paper. So no chance of my feet slipping now. I will just have to see how it lasts.

Description
Description

Description
Description

I have made a start on the diff. The Quaife diff didn't fit. So I had to grind the inside of the diff case on both sides.

Description
Description

Description
Description

I am waiting for some new rubber seals to arrive for the 2 diff side housings. I'm not 100% sure how you know how far to turn each side housing in so you know the diff is central.

CosKev3

posted on 11/2/16 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Cage looks good

Floors look much better covered too,I carpeted mine.

Ref the diff rebuild,I think there is more to it than just centralising the diff with those outer cups,pretty sure it needs to be set up to the pinion,so they have got the correct clearances between them.

Get it wrong and you'll knacker your crown wheel and pinion.

CosKev3

posted on 11/2/16 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

JeffJeffers

posted on 4/5/16 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I am never very good with updates when I start a thread.

I have got a lot done since I last posted.

The car is now back together.
Description
Description

Description
Description

My old tunnel cover had was looking very tatty. So I decided to make a new one. I had a bit of spare aluminium sheet so thought I would use that.
I cut it into 3 pieces and bent the sides over.
Description
Description

Description
Description

I then got it painted green and fitted a bit of rubber trim between them.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

I changed my wheels the end of last year from 15" to 13". The problem I had was the inside of the wheel catching on the wishbone. So I have made some spacers up to fit in the steering rack. I bought a piece or aluminium bar from ebay. I had a 21mm hole drilled down the middle then cut them to length.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Then just fitted them to each side of the steering rack.
Description
Description

I do now have a turning circle of the titanic.

CosKev3

posted on 4/5/16 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good

Word of warning on the steering reducers though,just remember if you have some sideways action that goes slighty too far you have got less opposite lock to get it back straight

JeffJeffers

posted on 4/5/16 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
So I had got the car just about ready for this years sunny weather.

I had a drive down to the petrol station.

When I went to pull out of the petrol station there was a car in front of me. I saw a gap in the traffic and the car in front moved forward. A few more cars went passed and I saw another gap in the traffic. So I went to pull away concentrating on not stalling the car because of the on/off button of a clutch I have.
Only problem was the car in front had pulled out he had just edged forward so I hit him.

A little damage to his car but smashed the front of my car. Gutted but my own fault.
Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

JeffJeffers

posted on 4/5/16 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Looking good

Word of warning on the steering reducers though,just remember if you have some sideways action that goes slighty too far you have got less opposite lock to get it back straight

I couldn't think of any other option.

CosKev3

posted on 5/5/16 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
How badly were they touching?

Your wheel must be the wrong offset are they?

As other MK's run 13's

Mash

posted on 10/7/16 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
How badly were they touching?

Your wheel must be the wrong offset are they?

As other MK's run 13's

I'd be really interested to hear the answer to this a I'm about to change to 13" myself, and offsets may well be a problem........

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.