raptor700
Contributor

Posts 241
Registered 28/2/09

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MK INDY R GSXR 1000 K5. Now sold..... Ready for th

posted on 2/8/16 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mk Indy RR pics fianlly finished and got to drive

hi guys, sorry its been so long prob about 18 months , its been hectic, hope some of you remember me !!!!
got married,decided to move house to a bungalow to make life easier (wheelchair bound) has a double garage space for the trailer big drive and land so all good.
we also moved and two weeks after my wife gave birth to our beautiful daughter. so the kit car got pushed to the back.

I cracked on and the car passed iva first time on the 8th april , I had many night in the garage until 1am!!!!!

registered on a 16 plate , tax and insured .

it went on show inside at Stoneleigh kit car show on tkc magazines stand (not sure if anyone saw it )
its going on there front cover.

my dad took it for a spin and it seems good , all just a test run. I hadn't made the hand controls and thought it would be a quick job, oh no it wasn't !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it went to rlm for a dyno tune and setup

Car weighs 495 kg , 1/2 tank of fuel, , full cage round tube chasis, elite reverse box, sbd dry sump running 7 litres of oil, hi spec billet front hubs, force racing billet aluminium wheel 3.5kg each , 7" front 8.5" rear, quaife atb diff, klicktronic shifter ,trickshifter expert with down blipper, butons on steering wheel. carbon tillet seats with white stitching on alcantara pads, alcantar centre consol. wildwood 4 pots front and rear, wildwood pedal box and bias adjuster. rear diffuser, front splitter, carbon rear arches, carbon tub cover, carbon screen, carbon mirrors, carbon front arches, carbon air intake, carbon canards. list goes on........

204bhp at the crank and 175 bhp at the rear wheels torque was at 109ftlb
standard 2012 gen 2 hayabusa so some good figures

Made the hand controls , twist throttle, push to brake and a clutch to pull (hydraulic on the hayabusa). the hardest job is it still has all three pedals so having two hydrauliuc master cylinders and two lines going into one double banjo into the slave cylinder both lines needed stop valves fitted.

Test day came, I was nervous as hell just a local one. set off all seems good, went round a corner gave it a bit down an industrial estate and the throttle stuck on full , lurching forward, clutch in brake on and my other hand switched the key off, twist throttle seems fine, (no wheelchair with me ) shuffles my way round the floor pops the bonnet and the throttle seems fine, start up and revs to 6 k still sticking , managed to get it home, as the heat of the car expanded the top of the pedal as they are mounted downwards, I had made n aluminium box to cover the pedals it was jamming on here!!!! so my 5 mile test found a sticking throttle, seat was too low, steering column too far away and my foot plate covering the pedal made my knees hit my chin.

I rectified all these problems , we had a track day booked on the sunday 24th july at blyton, a good testing circuit with some good run offs!!!!!!!!!!!

The car now just needed a test drive before the track day as I had only done my terrible 5 miles !! the bad luck started !!!! the hottest day of the year unbeknown to me I had shorts on and was sat on some metal, i didn't realise at the time and only two days later that it had blistered it was so hot I couldn't touch it for more than 10 seconds!!!! the burns are that bad its infected I have nurses coming to dress my wounds!!!!
That day i was testing the car, the garage door wouldn't open , the electric motor had packed in so £200 down and a new motor. It was Thursday and I was feeling unwell from the infection, the track day was on sunday. I knew I had no time to test so I loaded the car and we went to the track.

Sunday and the weather was dry, I wasn't nervous this time if anything went wrong there was enough space to bail, I didn't know what it would be like with the twist throttle , I had fitted a new foot plate this one sat over the clutch pedal (it was rock solid as the valve was shut and you cant compress hydraulic fluid), I had decided to disconnect the foot accelerator (its running two cables for me and my dad)I had made the footplate and some brackets to rest against the accelerator pedal so my feet were nice and stiff, I had also fitted some Velcro straps around my knees as they try and move all over.
The sighting laps were like a dream all my hard work hard work had paid off, the 1 am finishes in the garage , the car was stiff, smooth the hand controls seem good, I didn't expect miracles.
A few sessions in and the car was flying by dinner time the hand control (brake ) was hitting the cage we were getting faster and faster. I decided I had to change it , I needed more space but the feel of the brakes just didn't seem right. leverage and pivot ratio is tricky on a car with no servo. I have had this problem before on a previous kit car but the brakes were like dinner plates so when warm it nearly tipped over lol. I moved the bar that I push(its connected on a clamp the brake pedal ) I moved it down about another inch, I then moved my whole hand control lever nearer to me to give more space, I took it out and it was like I had just put a new set of brake pads in !!!!
The car ran spot on all day , the oil temp got a little warm so need to move the oil cooler but in the end a very happy person.

sorry for my shocking writing hope you like the pics and I will attach a vid too of a session when the brakes were finally working, you cant see the hand controls in my right hand but my left hand is steering and has two buttons for the gear change . hope you enjoy.

[img][/img]

[img]http://[/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[img][/img]
[img][/img]

[img]http://[/img]

[img][/img]

adithorp

posted on 2/8/16 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Those controls looks neatly done. In the pic' it looks to be floating in mid air... Does it pivot on the chassis top rail or am I missing something?

Sorry I couldn't make it for the inaugural run.

"I had many night in the garage until 1am!!!!!" ...Weren't you just staying up in case the baby woke up?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

raptor700
Contributor

Posts 241
Registered 28/2/09

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 2/8/16 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
As my last hand controls was just a push and pull , once I started adding the 22mm round bar, the clutch and fluid and twist throttle is got a bit "weighty" so mid way along is a supporting bar that it brushes on forward and back. prob get some tweeking done in the winter.

its hard to see on the pic but if you look on the steering wheel where is says t in white there is a bolt sticking up , this is the stop that I pull back to and its a flat plate that the hand control slides on

[img][/img]

adithorp

posted on 2/8/16 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Got it. I mistook that for the top inner edge of the seat from the other angle. What ratio rack have you used?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

coozer

posted on 2/8/16 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Very nicely done there

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

raptor700
Contributor

Posts 241
Registered 28/2/09

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 2/8/16 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
quick rack think its 2.4.

I haven't tried the small wheel yet as I had a 300mm one on for the track

Stevie_P

posted on 2/8/16 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Now that is very, very nice.
Congratulations Sir, I'm very jealous.

Steve

sprintB+

posted on 2/8/16 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
well done that man, video looks good too.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.