Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Front upper Wishbones
Jim

posted on 3/12/02 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Front upper Wishbones

After just finishing our second car and after a quick visit to MAC 1 in sheffield they had a look at my car to say that the front wish bones were on the wrong way round. Does anybody know if MK tell you which way round they go?

I had the top joint pointing upwards as MK said but they are also handed. After just taking off two sets of upper wishbones (both cars were wrong) I 'd just thought I would let everyone know what has been done.

The correct way is with the longer arm to the front of the car. it is only slightly longer. If they are the wrong way round then when steering the camber becomes positive from negative static camber and it is funny to drive

Cheers

JIm

bob

posted on 3/12/02 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Were mac 1 the people at donington with the amateurish looking build they were trying to sell,they were opposite MK's stand?

I noticed there wishbones were upside down ie top ball joint thread pointing down,and they were round the wrong way making the hub very vertical.
I have been told by a lot of builders that the hub must lean back which aids self centre steering.
Not sure how they decided the top wishbone was wrong,but hey if they've hit on something thats a good idea then i'll have a go.
Does anybody know how many completed cars they have sold or even SVA'd ?,as feed back from their customers is what we want.

I've just copied the website pic of the yellow car and looked at tony skeldings car for guidance,so hos it drive with the bones up the other way have you tried it yet jim?

[Edited on 3/12/02 by bob]

bob

posted on 3/12/02 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
FRONT UPPER BONES

Viper

posted on 3/12/02 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
BOB
I don't wish to start an argument but...i just looked at MK's pic on there website and the thread on the top ball joint points down!! now i am not building an MK but take a look for yourself. Or have i missed the point?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jim

posted on 3/12/02 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
The top joints were pointing the same way as in the picture and still are.

It does seem to have made a diference as the negative camber does appear to increase as the wheel turns unlike before as it went positive. I think it would have made the car would understeer like mad.

On the self centering, my car does not self centre and it did very slightly for the SVA with the front wheels very toed out. This has not been changed by altering the front wishbones. They never checked either car anyway.

Do not know about the feedback from their customers but they seem to have building full of cars being built and several orders

Cheers

Jim

[Edited on 3/12/02 by Jim]

[Edited on 3/12/02 by Jim]

bob

posted on 3/12/02 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
No problem jim,in fact thanks for the info.

I'm willing to give it a go and see how it goes,just a thought though is it anything to do with bike engines having a different set up cos of weight.
Mine is pinto and i'm copying the 3 cars i've seem completed,website pic as i've posted threads point upwards although i am desperate for a trip to specsavers (as i've been told by members here).
I know of another finished car so i'll check that one as well.
Cheers

paulbeyer

posted on 3/12/02 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Were mac 1 the people at donington with the amateurish looking build they were trying to sell,they were opposite MK's stand?

Bob,

The muppets with the badly built Indy opposite Martins stand were Sports Power Drive. You can find them regularily advertising built BEC Indies on findit.co.uk in excess of 12K. If you remember I pointed out to them that their top wish bones were back to front, upside down and inside out and their reply was "we know but it makes the car handle better" Eh ???????

Viper

posted on 3/12/02 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Mystery solved...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jim

posted on 3/12/02 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to repeat myself but,

The thread point the same way as in picture Bob posted. The handedness comes from the lenght of the arms. If you measure them the longer arms should be at the front. When they are this way round the threads of the top ball joint still point the same way as in the posted picture.

I do not think it is anything to do with the bike engine. Bike engines do have fault with being light for the self centering.

Hope this helps

Jim

Viper

posted on 3/12/02 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
So what you ae saying is with the longer half of the wishbone at the front you are running more castor which will help self centering but too much results in heavy steering..

Jim

posted on 3/12/02 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
yes,

But still won't self centre. But who cares, it passed SVA so what does it matter. I just have to remember to unwind the steering

JIm

bob

posted on 3/12/02 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
ruddy cold out in that garage,anyway i'm as the pic on MK's site with the thread that the BJ screws into pointing upwards.(wishbone thread)

I'm gonna stick with it for now,but theres every chance i'll have it in bits after SVA just to try it.

Luvly ive got an empty worry list just how i like it

[Edited on 3/12/02 by bob]

Jim

posted on 3/12/02 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
My car is the same as yours with the BJ screws into pointing upwards, the change is with the length of the arms not the direction of the thread.

Jim

bob

posted on 4/12/02 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry jim mine are the same as yours then cos the longer arm on the wishbone being at the front makes my hub lean back as it should,or so i've been told.

Mrs bob was a bit concerned when i legged it down to the garage in my trolley's,told her it was part of my new fitness regime LOL.

Jim

posted on 4/12/02 at 12:22 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry for all the confusion. Just must have been me getting it wrong on both cars. I can't believe we got both cars wrong. How crap was that?

Jim

bob

posted on 4/12/02 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
No probs Jim

It was getting late,and i attacked some of my christmas booze as well.

Like you said they are both SVA'd now.

Roll on the summer

locodude

posted on 4/12/02 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
The reason the threaded tube points upwards is..........................? Yes you all guessed right. To give the ball joint full articulation (movement). If it points the other way over half the movement is used before the suspension even starts to move and the ball joint 'bottoms out' so to speak. But you all knew that allready didn't you?

DEAN C.

posted on 7/12/02 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I was told by Martin how to put the wishbones on and even then when fitting I had to keep checking as the difference in arm length is very small,but it does alter the castor quite a lot.
Remember to put the mushroom holes to the front to gain even more castor for the SVA test,you can set up properly afterwards for better hanling.
Dean....

paulbeyer

posted on 8/12/02 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Dean,
When you say put the mushroom holes to the front for maximum castor angle do you mean for the holes to be pointing to the front (like the headlights)? If so that wouldn't be at it's maximum adjustment, would it?

bob

posted on 8/12/02 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Paul
I think what dean means is the further forward the hole the further back the hubs would lean.

DEAN C.

posted on 12/12/02 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly! Cheers Bob!

paulbeyer

posted on 13/12/02 at 12:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think what dean means is the further forward the hole the further back the hubs would lean.

Eh? I think I'll have to visit the garage to get my brain around that one. Not now though, too late and too cold.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.