Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Passed her MOT (few issues after 1st drive though!!)
mikegsi

posted on 24/1/11 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Passed her MOT (few issues after 1st drive though!!)

As per the title, i had the MK booked in for test on Saturday gone, passed first time, but only thanks to the kind tester supplying me with a 10amp fuse!!!

id taken the scenic direct route to the testing station as im waiting till this weekend to tax it and as such havent been able to do any proper roadtesting, on the way i went to use the reverse (Quaife reverse box) and the fuse for the brakelights and indicators popped.... i didnt have any spare fuses on me but thankfully the tester was friendly and gave me one!

i also noticed that i was travelling at around 460mph when i thought i was doing around 30mph, id not calibrated the speed sensor properly and had 'assumed' that as it was a rebuild it would already have been set up, obviously not! the roughly 15 mile trip has put over 5000 miles on my speedo!!!

And then on the drive home the pin holding the gear lever in fell out! seems one of the circlips has failed and fallen off, luckily the pin itself was in the tunnel, with washer and circlip for one side still on it, the other washer and circlip have gone though....

im looking into why the Quaife box blows the brake light fuse everytime i put it into reverse, im just hoping thats it down to a switch attempting to light a reverse lamp (which i dont have one anyway) and if thats the case by unplugging any such wiring it should cure the problem. so need to find a diagram/manual for the Quaife box to see if any such wiring exists.

ive sorted the speed sensor out, on my setup its positioned over the diff at a point where there are 4 bolts that it will 'sense'. It should have been setup so that every 12 passes of a bolt was equal to one full wheel turn, but it was setup that 1 bolt pass was a full turn of the wheel (wheel measurements were also wrong, indicating that its prob never bene calibrated with the 15" wheels that were on it when i bought it and as such the indicated mileage is most likely WELL over what it should be!!)

as for the gear lever, im on the hunt for a replacement washer and circlip, although i quite fancy the idea of drilling a hole in each end of the pin and using a split pin or similar, less chance of it failing then...

the cars off the road now till this weekend (legally the 1st of feb!!) as long as i can get everything sorted and tax it for the month starting february.

a big bummer was that id got the dash all wrapped and mounted and have now had to 'split' it, in doing so its marked the carbon vinyl wrap, im gonna have to patch it as its too expensive for me to do it all again and ive got plenty of 'cut offs' left over.

some updated pics -

night before the test ready to go!

boot lid that i recovered and mounted as it wasnt sitting flush first time round

and the pin and washer/circlip - anyone got any ideas where i can a washer similar to this?

skodaman

posted on 24/1/11 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
''the roughly 15 mile trip has put over 5000 miles on my speedo!!!'' So that works out at roughly 2500mpg?

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bigfoot4616

posted on 24/1/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
you've got on quickly there mike. nothing like a road test to show up a few issues
dodster

posted on 2/2/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
mk lightweight

The car you have have was originally built by myself and it is a mk lightweight locost chassis with the de-dion rear axle and trailing arms, The original sierra diff was changed by its second owner who put in a lsd and not just a standard ford unit. As I put in my u2u message it was originally fitted with a R1 lump from a 98 bike. I originally put in a HR2000 reverse box but founfd this very noisy so fitted the quaife instead.
I know the guy who bought it from me changed the engine after he blew the R1 to bits, he then spent a lot of cash I think with TTS.
The car itself does look different from an indy due to it having aluminium side panels that curve under at the front and the rear being aluminium too. The car was actually registered as an MK Lightweight . I will post some pictures of the car being built over the next couple of weeks,
have fun

mikegsi

posted on 3/2/11 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dodster
The car you have have was originally built by myself and it is a mk lightweight locost chassis with the de-dion rear axle and trailing arms, The original sierra diff was changed by its second owner who put in a lsd and not just a standard ford unit. As I put in my u2u message it was originally fitted with a R1 lump from a 98 bike. I originally put in a HR2000 reverse box but founfd this very noisy so fitted the quaife instead.
I know the guy who bought it from me changed the engine after he blew the R1 to bits, he then spent a lot of cash I think with TTS.
The car itself does look different from an indy due to it having aluminium side panels that curve under at the front and the rear being aluminium too. The car was actually registered as an MK Lightweight . I will post some pictures of the car being built over the next couple of weeks,
have fun

Brilliant mate!! id tried to find some history on this car and had a few pms about it but never actually managed to track down any of the first keepers/builder for it, until now of course!

im very interested to hear more about her and have replied to your more detailed u2u

cheers mate

needforspeed

posted on 6/2/11 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
whats that digital instrament cluster your using? looks tricky
mikegsi

posted on 6/2/11 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Its an evodash mate, had a quick go through the settings and its quite easy to use. Does quite a few things like lap timings, 0-60 times etc.

instruction manual is quite simple as well so im happy with it.

managed to get all my issues sorted today, just need to put everything back together and patch up where i marked the carbon vinyl on the dash and tunnel cover, then check my speed against tom tom and hopefully its somewhere near and i'll adjust the settings as i need to.

all taxed now too so hopefully weather being well I'll be out in her this next weekend!

DRC INDY 7

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

mikegsi

posted on 14/2/11 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate, she's all sorted now, been out in her a few times this weekend trying to get to know her.

It's extremely quick, and whatever LSD it has (definately non ford) copes with the power very well. Never used to be religious but now I pray for dry weekends do I can go play!!!!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.