Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cars you almost bought
02GF74

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cars you almost bought

There have been a few cases where I got as far as writing the cheque then backed out. Me indecisive? I am not so sure.

First one was blue Saab 900, was going to be my first car but insurance put me off. Can't remember how I wheedled my way out of that.

Red Rover 220 turbo coupe. Thought about it then backed out as it would be parked on road so probably get trashed.

Land Rover 101. Thought about it and since it would be parked in front of my garage, it would become the main driver. As the man had to bump start it for the test drive, reliability did not look to be its forte.

That one I regret the most since I negiotiated a good price and 'twas in very good condition.

I missed out on a blue MGB GT. Saw it in breakers and they were meant to call me when it was ready to be released. I waited and waited .... when I phoned, it had been sold. I was seething but I think it would have turned out to be a rust bucket.

[Edited on 16/2/09 by 02GF74]

Danozeman

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not so much nearly bought but sold and wish i hadent. My Aussie Ford LTD 5.8 V8. Sold it and regretted it ever since. especially as i know the bloke has broken it for bits. 2 in the country... Now theres one.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

britishtrident

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Singer Le Mans £350 I thought it was to dear as the cranshaft bearings needed re-metaling -- never mind 2 months later I bought a cracking little MG TF 1250 for 550 --- sold it 8 years later for 3,500 quite recently they were going for 22,000 -- dare say the price has fallen a bit in the last couple of months.
nick205

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
I often nearly bid for cars (205 GTis) on ebay, but that probably doesn't really count.

I went to look an unfinished Ford Popular hot rod once (1998) with a trailer and cash in my pocket. Had every intention of taking it away with me. Looked it over, looked like the guy had made a good start, offered £100 less than the £1700 asking price and the guy nearly flipped out on me - what sort of time wasting, ignorant little tw8t was I etc, etc.

Luckily I'd taken a mate with me and we managed to make a graceful exit

And there was me thinking car prices were there to be haggled

smart51

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
in 93/94 I really wanted a suzuki cappucino (don't laugh) but couldn't afford nor didn't want to pay the £13k asking price. Second hand ones settled at £10k for about the next 10 years. I still really like them but don't fancy a rare, expensive, hard to get parts for rusty old bucket.
Dangle_kt

posted on 16/2/09 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Not experienced this personally, but i remember a fair few years ago my dad about to buy a rover 220, ex police car.

Everything was going fine, until on the test drive the dealer said, "watch this" and set the siren wailing!

My dad paniced, and thought it was a robbed cop car and near slammed on teh brakes and jumped out!

Suffice to say the car wasn't purchased.

edspurrier

posted on 16/2/09 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Almost bought a Daimler limousine at auciton when I was a student. Went for about 5k. Putoff by the fuel cons. but did so few miles it probably wouldn't have mattered
scootz

posted on 16/2/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Very nearly bought a 1990 BMW 318is Coupe (last of the old boxy models) in 1995. One owner and only 12k miles from new... the thing was mint and was smack on budget at £6,500. I went to think about it overnight and when I came back it had sold .
mad4x4

posted on 16/2/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Landrover Discovery II and wish I hadn't

Big Lame Auto with a sting of problems Kept it 5 Months.

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

andrew-theasby

posted on 16/2/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Clio v6, looked at a damaged repaired one then negotiated a great price on a different one, just couldnt bring myself to buy a 2 seater for everyday. Still cant decide what to get next, really want the clio
Phil.J

posted on 16/2/09 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
3 cars I nearly bought but didn't, and regretted it ever since:

1/ De Tomasso Pantera (£1800)
2/ MG TF (£1200)
3/ Lotus 47 (ex works) (£1400)

A few years ago now (70's), but all would have been good investments.

bassett

posted on 16/2/09 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
For my first car i almost bought a red nova 1.2 covered in rust with black sprayed hub caps, sony xplod gear and lots of other crap. What can i say when your young you just want to buy the first thing you see as long as it gets you in a car but i held off for a 30,000 mile 1990 fiesta which was low considering it was 2002!

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Ivan

posted on 16/2/09 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Genuine AC Cobra 289 - in 1970 was on holiday with my folks when we walked past a second hand car lot in Harari - then Salisbury Rhodesia - and there it was for R4500 which I had in my bank account. I almost bought it but we were leaving for home the next day and what with Uni starting before I could arrange transfer and export the deal fell through

Anyway my Cobra Replica is most probably faster, might even handle better and a lot less hastle to own so maybe I shouldn't moan too much and at 20 I might well have killed myself in it also - or so I try to convince myself.

dogwood

posted on 16/2/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
My regret was not buying a
Merc 220 SL for £1000.
back in the 70's

couldn't justify spending that much on a second hand car,
When you could buy a new one for £850
( Vauxhall Viva,)
(Still got the receipt somewere)

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

zilspeed

posted on 16/2/09 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
1967 SWB Porsche 911

The owner lived locally and I was allowed 3 maybe 4 visits to check the car out. I then went back again with a mechanic to check it out again.

Having convinced myself to go for it, I backed out at the last minute.

The owner wanted £1,800 for it.

Other than that, nothing much.

The two cars which I have been most excited about getting were the first Robin Hood (yes, really) and the GTM.
Both were actually dream come true cars for me and I regret getting shot of the GTM most.
90% Elise for 10% of the money.

big_wasa

posted on 16/2/09 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
ive been offered an xr2 today. Always wanted one. Heart says yes and head says no and the no wins due to lack of space.
theconrodkid

posted on 16/2/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
57 bel air after watching 2 lane blacktop,my mrs went ballistic so i pulled out,i had a drive of one a few years later....it was worse than horible

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

rusty nuts

posted on 16/2/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
XK140 way back in the early 70s during the fuel crisis £50.00, been kicking myself ever since.
Shamrock GS

posted on 16/2/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
1954 series 2 landrover - bottled out because of the running costs
Ford Fusion - overnight I realised that I was being a dick!

Gary

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Snuggs

posted on 16/2/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly bought a DeLorean with only 1200 mls on the clock about 7 years ago but couldn't quite raise the cash

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

Simon

posted on 16/2/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Nearly bought a new Renault 5 GT Turbo back in about 1987. Bought a 1973 Vauxhall Viva instead

ATB

SImon

mark chandler

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Silver DB6, it was at East Grinstead garage for months 1979, for around £3000.

Then I looked at a daimler dart, but it was so ugly I passed it up.....

Both would be worth while investments now.... so I purchased a Capri instead, but then this would make silly money today !!! 3.0s

martyn_16v

posted on 16/2/09 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
ive been offered an xr2 today.

I wouldn't have even thought about it, it'd be on my drive by now and i'd be scrabbling for excuses to tell the mrs Of all my ex-cars, the XR2's are the ones I miss the most for some reason. Don't know why, they're not particularly fast or handle that well as standard, but they do put a big grin on your face. I look on eBay for them at least once a week, if one was actually offered to me I'd have trouble saying no...

I also nearly bought a Vauxhall Viva last week. Don't know why, it was just cheap when I put a bid in

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.