Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK fuel tank
L5W

posted on 5/8/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
MK fuel tank

Hi, I've received the fuel tank I ordered from MK.

Please see photo, have I got the right tank for using fuel injection? as I was expecting the fuel outlet to be attached to a small extension underneath the tank as per other tank pics I've seen. The tank I have here is completely flat underneath

mk fuel tank
mk fuel tank

Thanks,

Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

bigpig

posted on 5/8/09 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yep you need to ask for the in built swirl pot explicitly. For a car engine I was told it wasn't necessary, more for a bike engine apparently. It adds an extra 10 to 15 quid to the price.

I asked for the swirl pot just on the off chance I ever go BEC.

I guess with injection you will have a fuel pump anyhows.

Andy B

posted on 5/8/09 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
When we build up with injected motors we fit a swirl pot to the bottom of the tank and baffle them really well as we dont have the luxury of 4 float bowls full of fuel to carry us through a corner which we may well be surging on. With injected set ups as soon as the pump draws air and the line pressure drops the engine cuts which is really not good especially if you have just stuck into your favourite corner on a trackday as it can cause the equivalent of lift off oversteer.
I am not saying that the tank you have will not work just that I know how much we have to do to stop them surging. Might be worth checking with MK
regards
Andy

Flamez

posted on 5/8/09 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
My tank not an MK has the outlet at the bottom and the motorcycle pump bolts straight on.

fuel tank 1
fuel tank 1

my build mac1motorsports

L5W

posted on 5/8/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, best I give them a bell tomorrow to see if i can get it exchanged or modified.

Lee

maxey74

posted on 6/8/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
L5W, my MK tank looks just like yours, with the same pump mounting as that shown in Flamez's pic... Mine has a single plate inside which, in all honesty, doesn't look like it would help much! It has been fine so far but I haven't done any trackdays yet - how about just keeping the fuel topped up??
L5W

posted on 6/8/09 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to MK this morning and they can modify the tank to include the swirl pot (or pisspot as they called it!) Just wish I'd known it was an optional extra rather than a standard feature when I placed the order. Is there anything else I need to consider or specify whilst they're modifying the tank? Does it need a breather or is a breathable filler cap ok? The internal diameter of the fuel outlet is 6mm, does this need to be any bigger?

Thanks again,

Lee

bigpig

posted on 6/8/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mine had the swirl pot center underneath with two pipes from the top left (pressure return and breather).

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.