Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: wishbone play
main82000

posted on 24/1/10 at 12:04 AM Reply With Quote
wishbone play

hello all
im in the process of cutting the side panels round the wishbones which i have done but im not to sure if the holes are bid enough for movement so the question is how much movement is there on the wishbones

here is a pic of what has been done

also what bolts have you used for the front springs m12 seems to fit nice but mine are to long would it be ok to cut them to length
cheers Rescued attachment P1011849.JPG
Rescued attachment P1011849.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
main82000

posted on 24/1/10 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
another pic

another pic Rescued attachment P1011850.JPG
Rescued attachment P1011850.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 24/1/10 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
if you put your shocks on, and have the car lifted off the ground, the suspension will hang down as low as it can possibly go. the holes need to allow them to go that far really, plus a little extra free clearance

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

main82000

posted on 24/1/10 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
wishbones

hi thanks for the fast reply but what about the travel up the way
mookaloid

posted on 24/1/10 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Fit the shocks without the springs and see how far up they will travel

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 24/1/10 at 12:19 AM Reply With Quote
same sort of thing, take the spring out the shock, and push up until it won't go further due to shock travel. allow it that. the spring should stop it going that far anyway i think.

but when your suspension's all put together, there is a limit as to how far exactly it can go. allow it that plus about 5mm or so extra.

what you don't want to do is work out out the suspension travel on normal road driving, say 3-4" for example, work out the clearance from that, then find that the wishbone tears through the grp when you jack the car up to change a wheel

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

main82000

posted on 24/1/10 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
wishbones

hi yes that sounds so obvious now good idea thanks
blakep82

posted on 24/1/10 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
lol yeah, the amount of jobs on my car i spent weeks worrying about, and they've turned out to be really easily sorted is amazing.
the main one was space for my alternator, spent ages looking for a small alternator to fit between my steering and carbs. really struggled. solution: rotate it a little further on its mounting. done

its what forums are for. can't see the wood for the trees

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.