Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting my exhaust to fit
bodger

posted on 8/2/10 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Getting my exhaust to fit

I've got a bit of a problem trying to get the MK's R1 manifold to mate up to the can. As you can see from the photos there's quite a big offset between the end of the manifold and the can. As I see it it's going to take some serious bending of the manifold to get things to line up, might even need chopping & re-welding. I don't want to force things too much in case I damage the engine. Any suggestions?
Also is that lamda sensor boss going to cause me grief at IVA with its edges ?

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 8/2/10 by bodger]

bbwales

posted on 8/2/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I would be tempted to cut off the manifold pipe from the collector and weld in a new longer pipe. Can the silencer be moved further back? if it can then a preformed bend could be welded to your new pipe and then attached to the silencer. If the silencer can not be moved can you reduce its length?

This would also remove the problem of your Lamda sensor (unless it is needed).

Regards

Bob

[Edited on 8/2/10 by bbwales]

James

posted on 8/2/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
Tha exhaust definitely looks wrong. Is it made by MK for their car?

If they've made it wrongly I'd get it changed.

If it's from elsewhere then I'd cut off the last section of pipe and weld a new section on at the right angle that meets up with the silencer.

The silencer... is that too long? Or have to mounted it too far forward? Might want to look at that too.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

afj

posted on 8/2/10 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
They are a pain to get fitted right make sure the manifold to head join is very loose and it then needs lots of jiggleing, also i hed to trim a couple inches off the link pipe, took me 2 hours to get right

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ashg

posted on 8/2/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
you need to move the can back and use that bit of pipe on the floor. mine was a tight fit but it did fit in the end with a bit of messing around

here is a pict of mine its an indy exhaust for a pinto but you get the idea.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

blakep82

posted on 8/2/10 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
that 2-1 collector would be perfect (as far as the can goes) if it was rotated 90 degrees, so the lambda boss sticks out the side away from the car, but of course the collector won't work then. theres been some mistake somwhere when it was put together i'd say.
who made it? or was it bought pre made for this car and set up?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

bodger

posted on 8/2/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
The can is an MK one modified with a Cat on the front. Since I'm going to need a Cat for IVA it's about as short as it can be. It's the manifold that doesn't seem right. I bought it from MK a couple of years ago. I told them it was for an R1 Indy R but I'm wondering if it was made for the later R1's which I think are a bit taller (and they would need a lamda sensor whereas there's no point in having it on a carb'd R1). Work on the car was shelved for a few years whilst I sorted out the house so I never really paid much attention to the fit at the time. Anyway I've emailed these photos to MK so I'll see what they suggest.

[Edited on 8/2/10 by bodger]

afj

posted on 8/2/10 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
hope this helps just noticed yours is all welded where most are now a sliding fit for the pipes

[Edited on 8/2/10 by afj] Rescued attachment DSC01723.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC01723.JPG

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Davg

posted on 8/2/10 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Bodger
manifold ain't for the later R1 & it doesn't need the probe. It looks like someone has botched the outlet just at the boss.
Just chop it so as it lines horizontal then fit the link pipe that you have to the extended can. Don't hold your breathe waiting on a reply from the boys at MK
cheers D

bodger

posted on 8/2/10 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. Wasn't expecting much from MK. I think I've got a plan. I'm going to chop it at the boss & make a bit up to fit from there. Didn't know about the sliding pipes. What's the idea behind that ? do they just seal with exhaust sealant ?
afj

posted on 8/2/10 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
i didnt use any sealant and seems gas tight

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

tommyab

posted on 9/2/10 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I had a right pain getting my manifold to fit the R1 ('05). But this was at the engine end.

The small bit of pipe should go in between the can and the end of the manifold although would be too long if the can is extended, as you say, with the cat. This is clamped to the other bits at the ends. If i were you i'd try and modify this small bit of pipe - i.e. shorten it and re-bend to suit....

Tom

tommyab

posted on 9/2/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tommyab
I had a right pain getting my manifold to fit the R1 ('05). But this was at the engine end.

The small bit of pipe should go in between the can and the end of the manifold although would be too long if the can is extended, as you say, with the cat. This is clamped to the other bits at the ends. If i were you i'd try and modify this small bit of pipe - i.e. shorten it and re-bend to suit....

Tom

And also chop the manifold end down a bit.

procomp

posted on 9/2/10 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

if you are only wanting to modify the manifold once. Then it would be worth chopping it before the collectors and re making with collectors that will not rob you of power. At least you'll have only done the job once then not twice.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.