Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Refund from Bank Transfer
donut

posted on 14/12/10 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Refund from Bank Transfer

Hi

A little advice if poss please.

I bought a camera from another forum and paid by Bank Transfer. I have a sneaky suspicion that i have fallen foul to a hoax and may have lost my money although it's too early to be sure yet. So just in case.......

Is there a way of getting my money back via the bank if it turns out to be fraud? I have his name, sort code and account number plus his 1st name and location.

Thanks

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
prawnabie

posted on 14/12/10 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldnt of though so as bank transfers and drafts are cleared funds. May be wrong though
donut

posted on 14/12/10 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
I would hope they would seeing as it's fraud.......if that's the case.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mads

posted on 14/12/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
do you have any correspondence to back up your claims that you indeed had paid this individual money for a specific product? will help your cause... do not know if bank will still help you with this.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

GreigM

posted on 14/12/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Basically no - you can't have it reversed. Banks can reverse a transfer within 24 hours but thats usually only if they've made a error or to protect their position, after that there's no chance. Even if it was proven as fraud you'd have to make a civil claim and get a CCJ against the person etc.
donut

posted on 14/12/10 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mads, Only what's in the thread of the forum topic.

GreigM, Bugger!

Fingers crossed it turns up then

Andy

balidey

posted on 14/12/10 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
forum moderators may hold contact details for this person

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

pekwah1

posted on 15/12/10 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
if you have done a private bank transfer then no you can't get it back, unless you get in quick before the funds have gone.
If it does turn out to be a fraud/theft type situation, only option really is the police, although i have found that simply the threat of getting police involved has worked for me in the past, although i would have actually followed through if they hadn't paid up.

I have had one success with some bank transfer fraud from the police but it took around 8 months to see my money again and i got back 90% of what i paid...

In other news, if you need a camera, i'm selling one at the moment.......!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 15/12/10 at 03:21 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find that bank transfers go straight out of your account and sit in a 'holding account' until claimed by the other bank. As far as I can see, the funds cannot be 'reclaimed' by your bank only refunded by the other

Had a similar thing happen to me (not fraud) but bought some foreign currency via the bank over the phone, the guy said once the transaction goes through it will be commited. I said fine as I obviously wanted that to happen! He took the details, pressed a few buttons and hey presto! Transaction failed! So I said, no problem I will go into the bank and do it over the counter. He said that the funds would be 'ring-fenced' (unavailable!!) for between 7-10 days

My response: "How the hell can it be taken from my account if the transaction failed??"

After about 2 hrs with a very helpful Bank manager in my local branch it was all but sorted (still had to wait 24hrs!)

It turns out that the situation arose for exactly the reason I mentioned at the start of this post.

Just a heads-up......

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

donut

posted on 15/12/10 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the info. I work for the Police so can make noises if necessary. Fingers crossed it's all ok.

Thanks

Andy

nitram38

posted on 15/12/10 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
In a word Paypal.
I know people hate them and also ebay fees, but I've had 3 different non delivered items refunded.
One was over £300.

carpmart

posted on 15/12/10 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with above, Paypal protects you if your unsure of the person you're dealing with! DO NOT use the gift function else you won't get your money back if it goes bad!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

donut

posted on 15/12/10 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have just been told that the item is posted and i have a Post office tracking number.

Phew!

Thanks all

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.