Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT Emissions Cat
fishywick

posted on 10/3/11 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
MOT Emissions Cat

It’s MOT time and I need a cat and a power commander, I guess these were temporarily fitted for the SVA in 2006 and since removed.
Striker with a 2003 R1 5PW injection engine. I’m not too clued up on emissions, so….

Has anyone used a BM universal cat or one of these fleabay items UNIVERSAL PERFORMANCE CAT CATALYST CATALYTIC CONVERTER on eBay (end time 11-Mar-11 11:47:49 GMT)

I see Demon Tweeks also do a stainless one for £138 Tw eeks cat

I assume 200 cell is sufficient and I don’t need a lamda sensor? Is it best to have a specific map for cat/mot time and another for power/otherwise?

adithorp

posted on 10/3/11 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've used a 200cpi BM one for SVA. With a bit messing with the map it was possible to get a pass. I saved that "pass map" for future use (sorry no good for you as mine is 5VY). 200cpi works OK as long as you get it HOT. Hardest bit is holding steady 2500-3000rpm while the test is done. Without closed loop control (lambda sensor feeding back to ECU, etc) any throttle variation causes to reading to vary too much to pass.

Beware of some ebay cat's. We've had several customers cars fail MOT where they'd bought cheap cats from ebay. Turn out to be fakes. Just a casing and ceramic innards but no coating on the ceramic so have no effect.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

fishywick

posted on 10/3/11 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I've used a 200cpi BM one for SVA.

Thanks. On their site they (universal ones) are listed as neckless, which model did you go for and did you weld the stubs on?

blakep82

posted on 10/3/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
BM cats did get some praise on here a few weeks back though, so might be alright.
the same item is about $50 in america though.... if you can get one sent over...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

adithorp

posted on 10/3/11 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fishywick
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I've used a 200cpi BM one for SVA.

Thanks. On their site they (universal ones) are listed as neckless, which model did you go for and did you weld the stubs on?

I used the shortest, round one with 2" inlets. As the exhaust runs through the sill on the Fury asthetics don't matter as much as space, so I welded bolt up flanges direct to the ends of the cat, front pipe and silencer. Saved me about 4" in length. I also used one with a heat shield which wouldn't be ideal on a 7, butis better in the side pod and helps heat the cat up.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

snoopy

posted on 10/3/11 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
unless theres been an amendment to mot rules kit cars dont have a cat test

earlier thread on this here

[Edited on 10/3/11 by snoopy]

Davey D

posted on 10/3/11 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
i got one from america when it was £1 = $2. ended up costing me around £50 delivered to the uk.

on my 5VY during the emissions test i just adjusted the idle screw to take the revs up and hold it steady. MUCH easier than tying to hold the throttle at the required position with your foot

johny p

posted on 10/3/11 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
hi mate i run an mot garage in st. helens. you dont do a cat test on a kit car. but if your struggling with the emmissions mate you can always come and see me. pitty your quite far away.....

[Edited on 10/3/11 by johny p]

Davey D

posted on 10/3/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johny p
hi mate i run an mot garage in st. helens. you dont do a cat test on a kit car. but if your struggling with the emmissions mate you can always come and see me. pitty your quite far away.....

quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
unless theres been an amendment to mot rules kit cars dont have a cat test

earlier thread on this here

[Edited on 10/3/11 by snoopy]

Does this stand for all kitcars? i.e mine was built as a new car, registered in 2009, thus got an 09 plate. I was under the impression that when it came round to its first mot i would have to pass the same emissions levels as what i took at the SVA?

fishywick

posted on 10/3/11 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johny p

Thanks Johny, now I've got a headache! As Davey D says I was under the impression I had to follow the post 2002 (cat)flow chart. 2002+ flow chartAs my V5 does not show any emissions figures, it looks like you are right.

blakep82

posted on 10/3/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
kit cars 'should' be tested against whatever the V5 says your emissions should be. its not as clear cut any more as all kits (or as it was all Q plated cars) get visual smoke test, but of course its up to the tester interpretation

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

johny p

posted on 10/3/11 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
if there is no smoke levels on the v5 mate its just a visual smoke check... however my locost is on a Q plate and it has emmission levels on the log book... the kit cars i have mot"d in the past for people have been visuals or a none cat test....
snoopy

posted on 11/3/11 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
every kit car tested at the garage i worked at had a visual smoke test and we did most of mk,s tests at the time

be confident take your log book with you and dont be unsure tell the tester politley its a visual smoke test if he is unsure and offer him a quick spin to test to check the brakes etc works wonders big breasts and a short top also helps

[Edited on 11/3/11 by snoopy]

MikeRJ

posted on 11/3/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
every kit car tested at the garage i worked at had a visual smoke test and we did most of mk,s tests at the time

That is the case for Q reg cars that were registered prior to the introduction of the IVA/SVA test. Kit cars now have to pass an emissions test based on the age of the engine fitted at the time of the IVA/SVA, and the emissions limits are present on the V5 and get reported to the MOT tester via the new computerised equipment when they enter the cars registration number,

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.