Poll: Should the west start meddling in Libya [View Results]
no - it is none of their business, other countires brutalise their population but becasue they have no oil the west turn a blind eye
yes

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should the west start meddling in Libya
02GF74

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Should the west start meddling in Libya

as per titile, should the west start to poke their nose into Libya, such as impose no-fly zone.

[Edited on 11/3/11 by 02GF74]

MikeFellows

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Its got oil

we need oil as I dont want to pay £1.50 a litre

Yazza54

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
No. Why is everything our problem? We aren't some kind of frigging world police. It's no wonder everyone hates us.

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

daviep

posted on 11/3/11 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - we need a stable supply of oil.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

ChrisLeary

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
No, because it'll strecth our armed forces even further, and we do enough work already! 3months in afghan and then only 8 months at home before going again is enough, especially with a family, so adding more detachments would mean having to employ more servicemen and women and then that needs paying for, so fuel and anything else that can make the government money will increase in price anyway.

Like Yazza54 said, we're not the world police!

The days of the Great British Empire ruling the world are well and truely in the past, let them get on with it...

Chris

Andi

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
No.
Its got oil, so has Iraq and oil price has rocketed.
Makes you think, what if we and the US owned all the oil? Maybe we could run the monopoly and
charge what we like as there would be no competition?

Hmmmmmmmmmm!

dave107

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
No we shouldn't we are not the world police, and iv'e been told by an petrol station manager we will be paying 1.60 by the end of the month and that's just the start of it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Strontium Dog

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
If we go into Libya it will only benefit the Americans who may get cheaper oil. We will have to pay out for the armed forces etc. which means yet higher taxes to cover it and we still wont get cheaper oil. In fact it will cost us more as they tax fuel harder to pay for all the guns, bombs and soldiers we use up getting the Americans their cheaper oil!

Of course our government don't value a soldiers life very highly so it's mostly the guns and bombs that'll cost, a soldiers life is cheap to the likes of Blair or Cameron or any of our elected leaders it would seem!

James

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Yes... if the rebels want us to. If not, then no, stay out of it.

Although I'm talking about a 'relatively' low risk no-fly zone and targeted air strikes against military assets. Boots on the ground would be a mistake for sure!

Gaddafi is a lunatic and is murdering his own population. He's also a terrorist who was responsible for the worst ever terrorist atrocity on British soil- heard of Lockerbie?

I think most would argue that a Police force is necessary in this country- so why is it so bad for there to be a 'world police'? And if us, the US, NATO or EU don't do it then who the hell else is going to? It only leaves China or Russia and their human rights records are hardly exemplary!

Cheers,
James

EDIT: Yes, I know the armed forces are over-stretched. I'm anti defence spending cuts and the only thing I would be willing to spend more tax on is the armed forces.
You'll notice all of a sudden the Nimrod scrapping has been put on hold. I've heard it suggested on Radio4 that there's going to be a Defense Spending Review...review!

[Edited on 11/3/11 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

edsco

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Can i point out that whilst Libya has oil, there are other sources of oil. According to some high brow newspaper, forget which, but Libya only produce 2% of the worlds oil supply at the current rate. Estimates also show that they only sit on 3% of the oil reserves around the world. The USA have over 5% of the oil reserves and the rest of the world make up the rest. My point is, why don't other producing oil nations pull their finger out and start to up production. They don't because A) to drill for it is getting more expensive and B) if everyone started to up the anti to make up the shortfall, prices would tumble which is precisely what these big oil producing giants don't want to happen.

Its a catch 22. But we need not be getting involved in Libya, as there are other trade deals that could be done. Our government is just too reliant on current processes and to an extent stuck in their ways!

edsco

tegwin

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Instability in that region would/is bad for us.... It is far better if there is a stable regime inplace, otherwise it will become the next home for people like the taliban who like lawless regions where they can control people.

It is in our interest to deal with the issue, however we need to sit back at let the UN/NATO decide what is best and then act accordingly... we can not have another illegal war on our hands...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

tilly819

posted on 11/3/11 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
NO just no

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

jabbahutt

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
You won't get any thanks for interferring. Why is it that everytime something needs sorting out in an unstable country everyone looks to the west to sort it out only to then throw every insult in the book at us. There are plenty of countries bordering Libya who if that concerned with the way their neighbours are being treated should speak up and act. As soon as the west get involved we'll be back to the west is only there to impose it's views/steal our oil problem again.

Leave it be.

blakep82

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
yeah, gives us something to do...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Richard Quinn

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Why not? After all it's not as if we have any of our own domestic problems to sort out, is it?
femster87

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Instability in that region would/is bad for us.... It is far better if there is a stable regime inplace, otherwise it will become the next home for people like the taliban who like lawless regions where they can control people.

It is in our interest to deal with the issue, however we need to sit back at let the UN/NATO decide what is best and then act accordingly... we can not have another illegal war on our hands...

How much stability has the war brought to Iraq and afganistan?

ashg

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
don't care as long as they don't spend my taxes on it. I dont watch the news any more, its all rubbish. the uk/europe have to be the most nosey neighbours in the world. we stupidly have way too much vested interest in other countries which always seems to end up being detrimental to our own goals.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

franky

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone who says yes has zero understanding of how the armed forces work, zero political understanding of the middle east, zero understanding of Libya's military and ZERO common sense if they think it'll result in them saving money at the pump.
coozer

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
NO! Its time we shut our borders and pointed 2 fingers to the east while forging trading with America!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Ivan

posted on 11/3/11 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
No - since when has meddling helped anyone - I would guess the odds of it helping in the long run are poor - we just seem to gain more enemies each time we meddle.
loggyboy

posted on 11/3/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yes.
Gaddafi is mennace. His argument for being in power 40 years was:

'... in Britain (where) for 57 years the Queen has been ruling. I have been in the same situation.'

Im sorry, anyone whose that dim shouldnt be allowed that much power. EVERY country has the right to be demoracy. I dont believe the governments care, and will use the above as a convenient excuse to flex their muscles to gain what they can from the east, however, the people that live in these countries do deserve an elected governent. In general (some of) the east needs to buck its ideas up and get with the westernway of doing things, they all seem to hate the west for being better off, but the simple fact is we are better off because we have better, more organised, accountable powers in place.

blakep82

posted on 11/3/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
looks like japans going to take over the news from libya now poor japan

anyway its more a UN peacekeeping thing isn't it? its not the UK just getting involved because we feel like it, but a UN action i thought? but then i don't really watch the news (not through choice anyway, sometimes news 24 is on and i'm not allowed ot change it, or CNN wtf?)

[Edited on 11/3/11 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

phoenix70

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I say, yes, but only as part of a UN force
snoopy

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
personal view we wont have a choice what happens the new world order need an eastern union to go with the european union and the american union
ashg

posted on 11/3/11 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
forget the invasion, no fly zones. send in a crack team lockup or execute Gaddafi, move on job done.

yes i know its much more complicated than that but my comment goes to show just how much i think about the whole situation

[Edited on 11/3/2011 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.