Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Full Roll Cage
Rogthebandit

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy Full Roll Cage

Hi

i am building an MK Indy. it did have the single up and over roll cage but i have removed it and made a full cage. i am not sue on what height to set the front and rear roll bars. i have a rough idea where they would go but could do with a little help. does anyone know the measurements of the heights of the full cage as supplied by MK? or could someone measure theres for me please?

be grateful of any help

cheers
Rog

TimC

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
If doing it yourself do it to suit you, Sit in your seat, with a helmet and get someone to add 60mm on top of your helmet height.

lewis

posted on 25/3/11 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
i am also doing the same thing at the moment,where did you buy your tubing from?
Rogthebandit

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the reply, ya i am building the cage myself. i havent actually got the seats as yet but i know the runners are 25mm plus the seat thickness then theres the seat back height to consider. i was just after a dimension of the standard cage height to give me a start point. the up and over i cut off was 400mm from the foot plate to the top of the roll bar. i recon the full cage will be slightly higher then this.

is there anything i should consider with the IVA test when building the cage? what are they looking for with respect to cages?

i am making the cage from 1"1/2" pipe which has an OD of 48mm. i started using shed 10 which has a wall of 2.8mm but this is hard to bend with out kinking. i am now using shed 40 (3.6mm wall) for the 90deg bends and shed 10 on the straight bits to reduce weight.

MK put the front of the cage in the foot well area, can anyone tell me if the front is the same width as the back. i have looked at loads of pics and cant tell if the bends in the front legs make the cage wide for the windscreen view?

Rogthebandit

posted on 25/3/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Lewis - got the tube from the local steel stockholders, standard stuff so plenty on stock for all my mess ups whilst trying to make the cage
Nash

posted on 25/3/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I spoke to MK on this last year when I was in the market.

MK unit is 35.5 " to the underside of the front tube and +2" at the rear (so 37.5" to the underside of the rear hoop.

These mesurements are to the floor. As I recall.

Hope that helps.

cheers............ Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

Rogthebandit

posted on 25/3/11 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Neil

thanks for the measurments. i have been in the garage tonite trying to find the best fit and i set it up based on a picture. i took the measurments and i was near enough (give or take 10mm) to the dimensions you have stated. crazy how things work out. i am glad you responded cause it gives me more confidence to weld it in position. i am going to tack it all together first though to see how it looks.

when you spoke to MK, did they tell you what tube thickness they use for the full cage?

cheers
Rog

snoopy

posted on 26/3/11 at 12:29 AM Reply With Quote
have a peek in my photo archive two examples in there one blue and yellow indy one orange striker
Nash

posted on 26/3/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Rog, in terms of tube thickness I haven't got that info. I had mine made by Powerspeed in Ashford so you could do worse then call them as they do a lot of this kind of stuff. Good guys to.

.......Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.