Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: S2000 F20C wiring
fastfu

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
S2000 F20C wiring

hi all

ive bought an s2000 engine and gearbox to go in a kitcar.

i did a lot of searching around for info before i started and got ecu pinouts etc but i have one plug that i cant find any info on (the big light blue one in the picture) also im missing a plug from the ecu (plug A), would these both be on the interior loom for the car ?

its in the loom with the 2 ecu plugs, this one

does anyone know what its for ? is there a pinout for it ?

thanks

franky

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
you need to ping Daniel Mason a u2u. He's building a very nice MNR with one fitted.
SeanStone

posted on 17/5/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Are you planning on using the standard ecu?
PeteS2k

posted on 17/5/11 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
IIRC, the engine loom, ECU and dash loom all interconnect - so the dash or interior loom is probably where you'll find the missing bits of the jigsaw.

Worthwhile hunting out and downloading the S2000 workshop manual if you can, particularly when it comes to working out where all the wires go, and which ones are actually needed for however you're intending to install.

I'm running mine on a DTA S60Pro. Only problem I had is that I couldn't get the idle control valve to work - but that may just be me!

fastfu

posted on 17/5/11 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone

yes i am

SeanStone

posted on 17/5/11 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
If you fancy a lot of faffing then go for it, I'd recommend the aftermarket ecu route though.

I have some S2000 clocks for sale if you need them

fastfu

posted on 17/5/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I can understand why people go for and aftermarket ecu's but the way i see it is atleast i know everything on the engine (sensors etc) are compatible with the stock ecu and 240hp will be more than enough for me so i dont really need the ability to tune it.
SeanStone

posted on 17/5/11 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
It's not really the tuning ability of aftermarket ecu's that made me go for it. I initially was going to use the standard ecu but it is a lot of hassle. After spending the money on the gearbox and engine in the first place, the money needed for the aftermarket ecu isn't that large.

If you manage to get it running without problems then good on you! I just don't have that sort of patience, nor electronics knowledge

PeteS2k

posted on 17/5/11 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
DTA and Emerald (and maybe others) can run using the stock sensors, making it a relatively easy install. I got mine up and running and through IVA using the S2000 map that comes with the DTA software, although it did need a proper mapping session afterwards.

Using the stock Honda ECU seems to be more popular in the US and Australia - something to do with regualtions over there. A hunt on some of the US / Ozzie forums should turn up some help on how to do it. Like Sean I started with the same intentions, and did quite a bit of digging down the OEM route, but in the end, reviewed my priorities (time, patience etc vs. the cost of an aftermarket ECU & mapping ) and went after-market.

But it can be done....

[Edited on 17/5/11 by PeteS2k]

PeteS2k

posted on 17/5/11 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
By the way... what are you putting the engine in?
mcerd1

posted on 17/5/11 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fastfu
quote:

yes i am

what age of car did it come out of ?
(I've got a PDF manual for the earlier ones somewhere...)

-

fastfu

posted on 17/5/11 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
The engine came out of a 2004 ap1 s2000
SeanStone

posted on 17/5/11 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
http://pdftown.com/2000-2003-Honda-S2000-Manual.html
daniel mason

posted on 17/5/11 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
i would strongly advise you to talk to richard bulmer before you go much further.he will put you on the right track and is porobably one of the best around.

mcerd1

posted on 17/5/11 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
http://pdftown.com/2000-2003-Honda-S2000-Manual.html

^^ thats the same one I've got

I know the 2004+ manual is alot bigger (~3x as many pages) but I never managed to get a copy of that

-

atomic

posted on 13/7/11 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
If you are trying to use the oem ecu you will need to use the Honda instruments and air pump as the ecu will through error codes. If you remove the pump and dont implament a work around (basically as resistor) then the ecu will go into limp-home mode as it will not like the AFR.

You would be far better off going down the aftermarket ecu route as it is much less troublesome and allows for far better tuning. The very best ecu's for this application are the EFI Technology srl Euro-4 and the Pectel SQ6. They are not cheap but will be more than you ever need. The EFI Euro-4 is the best value for money of the two as they are both cheaper and come fully equipped where as the SQ6 uses cost options.
A cheaper but no less capable option would be the new EFI Technology Euro-2. It has many of the same features of the Euro-4 but does without things like built-in Wideband & drive-by-wire throttle control. I think the Euro-2 would be ideal for your needs.

There are of course other options from the likes of Bosch, Magnetti Marelli & Motec but these are more costly and not necessarily any better. I would recommencd you have a word with Richard @ Ole Buhl as they worked directly with Mugen and EFI Technology to develop software specifically for Honda applications including proper support for V-tec & i-Vtec. EFI Tech are also the ecu's of choice for Honda/Mugen Motorsport and are used by many in the WRC, PWRC, S2000, BTCC and many other series around the world.

You may also want to check which Oil Jet bolts you have fitted as the earlier engines had 2 hole bolts that could lead to oil starvation (especially on No4 Cylinder). These where later updated to a 4 hole design. If you can budget for it then a Dry Sump system from the likes of Race Engine Design is the best solution but if not then you most definitely want to install a Accusump on this engine.

[Edited on 13/7/11 by atomic]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.