Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Paying VED monthly.
morcus

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Paying VED monthly.

I got THIS emailed to me and it's something I've thought they should do for a long time allowing motorist to pay Tax monthly.

Personally I think they should go a step further and abolish tax disks, and have tax paid monthly on a rolling contract type affair, and tax should be transferable when you get a new car, with a rolling monthly system that would be easier as you'd just pay the extra when you swapped it.

Without needing a physical tax disk you'd remove queing at the post office and save thousands of work hours and it would mean you could buy a car, then go online and sort your tax and have it the same day rather than buying a car saturady afternoon and not being able to tax it till tuesday because the post office is shut.

What do you think?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

ReMan

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Junk it altogether
Put it on fuel
More fuel used, more road used
ATEOTD they dont need an excuse to put fule prices up so at least they'd have one

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Andybarbet

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I would happily pay by direct debit, I agree that putting it on fuel so that the more you drive/wear out the roads, the more you pay also.

As far as im aware though, most of it doesnt go to fix roads anymore ?

Me & the Mrs are in the buy every 6 months percentage, i cant usually justify paying the extra until nearer the time.

We currently put away money every month in advance for TAX, MOT etc so it would probably just lose me a few pence in interest that i may get on our 2nd bank account but atleast it wouldnt be sitting there tempting me to buy kitcar parts with

Ninehigh

posted on 8/5/12 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
True, tv licence can be paid for monthly why not this?

Then again can we trust the DVLA?

Slimy38

posted on 8/5/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
But how much more will it be to pay monthly? We already pay more to pay in two six month chunks.
mark chandler

posted on 8/5/12 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like the current system, if you bung it on top of fuel you still have to run an MOT/registration system.

Pay by DD gets my vote, although being sceptical the price will go up, positive side you may find those that do not bother may start.

morcus

posted on 8/5/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully it won't put the price up but I've got a feeling it will.

TBH my biggest problem with the system is the same as for TV lisenses, why do they all have to start on specific dates? If you moved into your first house now you'd have to buy a years TV lisense that ran out in march and still have to pay full price. same with car tax. You buy a car the last week of a month and you either have to wait to tax it or lose most of a month.

DavidM

posted on 8/5/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have to question the motives when I see this:

"The Budget report says: “The government will consider whether to reform VED over the medium term to ensure that all motorists continue to make a fair contribution to the sustainability of the public finances, and to reflect continuing improvements in vehicle fuel efficiency."

That sounds like, "motorists will be using less fuel per mile so we'll have to put up road tax to compensate and let them pay monthly otherwise they wouldn't possibly be able to find the money to afford it."

Proportion is Everything

coyoteboy

posted on 8/5/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Normal cars are no longer considered in the design and wear of most roads anymore anyway, their impact is negligible.

VED is just another justifiable revenue stream.

tegwin

posted on 8/5/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have long wondered why they dont just make the MOT more expensive and remove road tax.....roll MOT and road tax into one thing so you cant physically have one without the other...would save the workload of an entire government department!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

MikeFellows

posted on 8/5/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
road tax is the biggest load of nutsack ive ever seen, it does nothing but cost us more in tax to run the tax system, we pay for jobs that are not required and print millions of letters (dont forget postage costs for said letters) needlessly

im conviced 10p on fuel would cover it adequetly.

there are approximatley 30 million vehicles in the UK, 30 million, if everyone gets a reminder and a paper tax disk thats a minimum of 60,000,000 fancy bits of paper to print and post, how much do you reckon one of those tax disks costs during its lifetime, lets say its costs them 1p each, thats £600,000 before postage costs. at 2nd class franked postage costs another £18,600,000 in postage. to send 60m letters a year your not going to get away with a couple of grand franking machine. at my previous job we sent 18,000 letters a month and required a £40k franking machine

and of course the staff to run and manage all of the above, in a building that probably costs a fortune to run

I would be interested to hear from one of the bobbys on here on how long it would take to pull the driver, go through all the chat business, complete the paperwork (are you allowed to drive off if you have no tax if not do the police have to wait for someone to recover the vehicle?), potentially go to court and potentially chase the tax dodger with a warrant for none appearance.

you could probably halve the road tax in the money you would save from not having the stupid system

rant over sorry

dlatch

posted on 8/5/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
hold on a second
as i understand it the system makes more than enough money to cover keeping the roads working the issue seems to me to be the fact that much of what is taxed out of us motorists actually gets spent on other things such as the NHS.

i would be very wary of any pay per mile system and how exactly that would work, tracking you 24/7 seems the most likely option

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeFellows

posted on 8/5/12 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
im not doing pay per mile, and you can kiss my arse if you think your putting a tracker on my car - next stop auto fines, you just did 31 in a 30

ive been calculating for 10 mins or so, and i reckon forgetting the savings made, to make equal amount of money from fuel v road tax you would have to increase fuel by around 6.5p but this does not include the increased VAT the government would also receive.

addind the tax to fuel would benefit road users who do very few miles, and punish those who do the most miles, I cant think of a fairer system with no bureaucracy involved.

if you fancy driving around in a quad turbo V12 that does 2 mpg thats fine, but you will pay for it in fuel, similarly if you drive a polo bluemotion you pay less

the current system is based around emmisions, but doesnt take into account that the guy with the prius doing 30,000 miles and paying £35 road tax is polluting more than the guy in his V8 Jag who does 2,000 miles a year but has to pay £450 tax - stupid stupid stupid

like i say 6.5p on fuel would save the government a minimum of £20m and bring in the same money

MikeRJ

posted on 8/5/12 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
hold on a second
as i understand it the system makes more than enough money to cover keeping the roads working

If by "working" you actually mean "pot holed" then I agree.

[Edited on 8/5/12 by MikeRJ]

snapper

posted on 9/5/12 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
It will come down to "Pay 12 months upfront or by Direct debit" they will scrap the 6 Months
I would like to tax my kit for 8 months but I don't see that as a likely option

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Ninehigh

posted on 9/5/12 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by dlatch
hold on a second
as i understand it the system makes more than enough money to cover keeping the roads working

If by "working" you actually mean "pot holed" then I agree.

[Edited on 8/5/12 by MikeRJ]

To be fair all the money brought in goes into a big pot and then distributed. If it only went on what it was supposed to go to then we'd have roads that make F1 tracks look like farmyards but we'd have to wait 2 years for an ambulance.

Don't america do the whole "road tax/mot/insurance" on the licence plates? In which it's all done at the same time and then your numberplate has an expiry date on it?

Slimy38

posted on 9/5/12 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NinehighTo be fair all the money brought in goes into a big pot and then distributed. If it only went on what it was supposed to go to then we'd have roads that make F1 tracks look like farmyards but we'd have to wait 2 years for an ambulance.

That's very true, but why not adjust the taxes appropriately? I don't understand the concept of a 'pot', I think there would be a whole load more transparency in the system if each tax went towards paying it's own service. So yes, NI would go up, road tax would go down, and probably we'd all be paying the same tax at the end of it, but at least we'd see what we were paying for.

They already do it for our council tax, each year I get a council tax bill that breaks it down into the services that the council provide. It seems odd but I like being taxed more knowing that it's going towards an improved police service. Or when they reduced our bin collections from weekly to fortnightly there was a corresponding reduction in waste management costs.

morcus

posted on 9/5/12 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with spending all the specific taxes in specific places is you make more administrative work, also I think alot of people would be worse off, especially the poorest of people. In theory I'd pay less tax under that kind of system as less money per tax payer is spent in the south east than most other regions and we're by far the most populated region (If you include london about a quarter of the whole UK population) but I'd still vote against it because I don't think it's right.

Council tax is an absolute con. I'd much rather pay more in other taxes and abolish council tax. I could choose to not have a car but I can't choose to not have somewhere to live.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.