Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: your veiws about GT1
mad-butcher

posted on 18/9/02 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
your veiws about GT1

greatings all Just had a phone call from a customer of mine I own a butchers shop saying some-one was slagging of the GT1 without even talking to the guys on the stand
www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=17466
I mean lets be honest what do you want for 3500 quid.
sorry folks i've seen my arse good style
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locodude

posted on 18/9/02 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
The guy was only offering constructive criticism. I've seen this project grow up from day 1 very closely and if anyone out there knows Martin keenan they'll agree with me that he'll not walk if he can run. The car was'nt in SVA form as he said it would be. But what the hell it's a track day car first and foremost. He also said that the chassis looked very good. How is that slagging off. You're right, what do you want for £3500. I'll tell you. Something that will take a proper engine!
Chris PTM

Jon Ison

posted on 18/9/02 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
all i can say is, "I want one" and he's allready made provision for a "proper" engine, its in there allready.....

for the money, top job.....and will in time be a race winner too me finks...

paulbeyer

posted on 18/9/02 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Then there is always the car that James Hicost has ordered, the MK indy based Panoz lookalike. Now that is going to be some motor, pure sex on a stick.
And James reckons he'll have it on the road by next summer.
As far as the 2 guys who built it are concerned I wouldn't have a clue what they were saying half the time, something about boots and boats? PTM can translate though.

locodude

posted on 18/9/02 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
They were gooin 't' skoooil in thi boooits. Eeee bah gum, flat caps pigeons and whippets! It was nice to hear a real accent after a weekend of 'any robbin hood, round the jack 'orner my san, you've no jack palance, cap a rosey lea, wotcha' You're all cockneys to me, even Jasper from the land of the gay!
Chris PTM
Northern and proud(ish)

bob

posted on 19/9/02 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
OIH!! Geezer
Gregory on its way next week.

rallyslag

posted on 19/9/02 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
hmm not a board full of dodgy southerners
that cant be good

Old chinese proverb: "If a man speaks in a forest, and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mad-butcher

posted on 19/9/02 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys, Chris locodude you supply martin with a quality product. tried to bend one of your dahboards back to clear gear lever cut a couple of slots and applied a bit of heat the plastic just flowed back into the slots bent back nicely without a mark on the front good swag or what. I'm the one who keeps them all in sausages and bacon at the shows
Tony

locodude

posted on 19/9/02 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Chris PTM

Jon Ison

posted on 19/9/02 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
By now Mr PTM you should have recieved my mail, there fore you will know my veiws on the GT1.....

lets hope i can pull it off......

Any good with the spanners ?

cymtriks

posted on 19/9/02 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Judging by the chassis pictures in September KitCar the front suspension region has no triangulation at all and the engine bay is only triangulted on the sides. Proper triangulation of the front and a couple of diagonals down the sides of the engine bay would really help. The torsional stiffness of this chassis is probably only a fraction of what it could be but without more informative pictures I can't say much more. If I had 3500 pounds and didn't want to build my own design I'd buy one and modify the chassis myself. I think the bodywork looks really good and deserves a good chassis. I'm surprised you all think 3500 pounds is cheap. I dream of having this kind of spare cash lying around.
bob

posted on 19/9/02 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
£3500 is pretty cheap compared to the west field copy thats best part of 13K.

interestedparty

posted on 20/9/02 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the GT1 seemed reasonably priced too. I can't find out from their website, but I think the Westfeild car does include quite a lot more stuff, whereas the GT1 price is for the chassis, bodywork, wishbones and bushes. I think the main reason for prefering the GT1 is that it gives the person in the market for that kind of car the opportunity to put a complete car together for a fraction of the Westfeild price.

John

donut

posted on 20/9/02 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine is going to the factory tomorrow to order his GT1 and i'm going with him to order the Indy. My mate says that the chassis is very well built and lookd the dog's! He is also going to look into supplying bike engines and accesories for BEC's. We have a contact who has a company that races bikes who can get 'eveything'! This guy (and the rider) won the British superbike championship (privateer) last season!!!!!

Andy

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

chrisg

posted on 20/9/02 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't see the £3500 GT1 gettting a tow back to the pits Sunday, unlike the £13000 Westfield.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bob

posted on 20/9/02 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
That explains it then.

£13000 is not a bad price for the west field XR whatever it its called,with a brand new tow truck included.

bob

posted on 20/9/02 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Also there's other players in this area.
Have a look at
http://www.adr-engineering.co.uk/

Alan B

posted on 21/9/02 at 01:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Also there's other players in this area.
Have a look at
http://www.adr-engineering.co.uk/

Bob, isn't that a pure racer though?
I agree that it's nice though

Alan B

posted on 21/9/02 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Didn't see the £3500 GT1 gettting a tow back to the pits Sunday, unlike the £13000 Westfield.

Cheers

Chris

And I just can't see nearly 10k of difference between the GT1 and the XTR2. I'd even say the XTR2 isn't that attractive compared to it's competition, the MK beats it hands down.
All IMO of course

bob

posted on 21/9/02 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Alan
Yep, the ADR is a pure racer but i reckon you wont see many GT1's on our badly maintained roads.
Like others i'm almost surrounded by speed humps as well,the GT1 would get beeched where i live .

Its that bad here that women actually take there children to school in large of road 4x4 vehicles,or is that a fashion statment!!

interestedparty

posted on 21/9/02 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

And I just can't see nearly 10k of difference between the GT1 and the XTR2. I'd even say the XTR2 isn't that attractive compared to it's competition, the MK beats it hands down.
All IMO of course

To be fair to Westfeild, their price is for a complete car less engine gearbox wheels and tyres, whereas the MK price is for body, chassis wishbones and bushes.

As I said before, it would be possible to build a GT1 for a fraction of the cost of a Westfeild, but the difference isn't as much as earlier posts would suggest.

John

bob

posted on 21/9/02 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
I think your right John,but its a massive outlay (£13000) in one hit for a toy.

I'm building my car as and when i've got the cash or bits,doesnt hurt the pocket so much that way.

theconrodkid

posted on 21/9/02 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm like the look of the ADR Bob,think i need one
bob

posted on 21/9/02 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hmmm like the look of the ADR Bob,think i need one

Just wait till i've found out who the people are with car from donington show,PTM has info on them i think.
Widened indy chassis to take cossie turbo up front with a superb body.
Someone must have some pics?

Alan B

posted on 21/9/02 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

All IMO of course

To be fair to Westfeild, their price is for a complete car less engine gearbox wheels and tyres, whereas the MK price is for body, chassis wishbones and bushes.

As I said before, it would be possible to build a GT1 for a fraction of the cost of a Westfeild, but the difference isn't as much as earlier posts would suggest.

John

John, I take your point, however the 10k difference covers uprights, hubs, brakes, steering parts and a few bits and pieces. Certainly hard to see 3K's worth IMO. Also, there are many other parts that are extra on top of the 12K.
I guess we agree really, that the MK should be on the road for a lot less.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.