Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: bonnet shake ?
Not Anumber

posted on 21/5/12 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
bonnet shake ?

Whats the cure for bonnet shake ? I decided to repair and use the thicker of the 2 fibreglass bonnets which if anything is now about 20% heavier and more rigid than before. Even secured (tightly) with 6 catches the bonnet shakes and wobbles visibly when the car is being driven. The bonnet has plastic edge strips on the front and back edges but has plenty (too much) movement at the top where it meets the scuttle. Would a rubber strip help here ?
James

posted on 21/5/12 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Whats the cure for bonnet shake ? I decided to repair and use the thicker of the 2 fibreglass bonnets which if anything is now about 20% heavier and more rigid than before. Even secured (tightly) with 6 catches the bonnet shakes and wobbles visibly when the car is being driven. The bonnet has plastic edge strips on the front and back edges but has plenty (too much) movement at the top where it meets the scuttle. Would a rubber strip help here ?

If it's the same as my ali bonnet where it would jump up and down in the middle at the scuttle then it's caused by air pressurising the engine bay. Not healthy as it means your hot air isn't getting out.

I proved this was the problem with mine by temporarily removing the firewall panel so the engine air blew out through the cockpit.

The permanent fix is holes in the bonnet or side panels to let the air out!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Not Anumber

posted on 21/5/12 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I hadnt thought of that and was just assuming vibration. There is a hole in the bonnet round the air filter but nothing on the other side. The side panels stop short of the wishbones and there is no panelling under the nose or engine compartment so there must be a lot of air getting in that can't find a way out. It doesnt immediately appear to be heat related in that it does it as soon as i start driving, before the car has had a chance to warm up.
Should i look at panelling under the nose and front of the engine bay too or just some holes in the bonnet to let it out ?

bobinspain

posted on 21/5/12 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's a standard factory car with bonnet scoop. No extra holes.
No problems with bonnet shake, even though there was some 'play.'
Took the play out of the equation with draught excluder in matching colour.
Snug as a bug now and virtually undetectable.

austin man

posted on 21/5/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have a rubber / foam strip on the front and rear of mine and also fitted vented side panels no shake

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

renetom

posted on 22/5/12 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
shake

Hi
We put 4 X 70mm round grilles on each side
See our photo archive.

40inches

posted on 22/5/12 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Closed cell foam strips and vents on side panels, and back of bonnet on mine.
Vents
Vents

blakep82

posted on 22/5/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
if its just vibration, you could fibreglass some paper rope on the inside of the bonnet, sort of up and over. gives strengthening ridges to help stop it flexing.
if its air pressure causing it to flap, then that might break the bonnet quicker, so releasing the air is the way as said above

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Not Anumber

posted on 24/5/12 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice. A length of thin rubber strip stuck to the edge of the scuttle solved it immediately. Solid as a rock now and it improved the tension on the bonnet clips at the same time.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.