Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ? For the Computer Literate
Chippy

posted on 3/6/12 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
? For the Computer Literate

I have an old Dell Latitude that I use for my Vinyl cutter. I have fitted two new memory sticks of 256 Mb each, so should get 512 Mb, but regardless of which stick is in, either A or B, (or both together), it will only read 256 Mb. Any idea what is going wrong? The BIOS has been checked and is the latest version. At a total loss as to why this should happen. Please keep the advise in simple terms, as a total numpty with regards computer speak! Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

MikeFellows

posted on 3/6/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
depending on how old it is it might not support 512Mb of RAM.

post the model and I will have a look for you

Chippy

posted on 3/6/12 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Well the note on the bottom states Cpt-C, is that the correct number/type. Regards Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

flibble

posted on 3/6/12 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Says 512 max so should accept it
Slimy38

posted on 3/6/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I have had PC's that you have to actually tell them what's plugged in, they have no 'plug and play' capability. You might need to configure the second stick. If it can only handle 512meg it's likely to be old enough to need manual configuration.
MakeEverything

posted on 3/6/12 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on a couple of other of things.

The ram speed needs to be compatible with the motherboard.
They also should be a matched pair

Eta the BIOS might need changing to adjust for the new ram.

[Edited on 3-6-12 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

loggyboy

posted on 3/6/12 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Also are they identical sticks? brand and more importantly the make up of chis Ie no of indivdual chips on the stick. Alot of older pcs require matched pairs.

Mistral Motorsport

Chippy

posted on 3/6/12 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I have had PC's that you have to actually tell them what's plugged in, they have no 'plug and play' capability. You might need to configure the second stick. If it can only handle 512meg it's likely to be old enough to need manual configuration.

This means bsolutely nothing to me, wouldn't know where to start. Ray

Chippy

posted on 3/6/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Depends on a couple of other of things.
The ram speed needs to be compatible with the motherboard.
They also should be a matched pair
Eta the BIOS might need changing to adjust for the new ram.
[Edited on 3-6-12 by MakeEverything]

The motherboard "should" be fine as it is setup for 512 Mb.
Sticks are a matching pair, and both 16 chips.
BIOS is set to the latest one.
Cheers Ray

quote:
Also are they identical sticks? brand and more importantly the make up of chis Ie no of indivdual chips on the stick. Alot of older pcs require matched pairs.
quote:

See above, yes to both!

[Edited on 3-6-12 by Chippy]

Chippy

posted on 3/6/12 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just noticed that I get a, (very brief), error message which reads, (more or less).
Failure to read//write.....100000000........00F00EE............Expecting 00F00EF
That is roughly, after several attempts, what it says. Don't know if that helps.
Regards Ray

scudderfish

posted on 3/6/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Could be a dogy socket on the motherboard. Have a look at www.memtest.org
MakeEverything

posted on 3/6/12 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Could be a dogy socket on the motherboard. Have a look at www.memtest.org

Or a odgy ram card. I bought A pair from giraffe or something, and one of hem was no good,

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

D Beddows

posted on 3/6/12 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Old laptops can be REALLY picky about RAM - I've got a prehistoric Compaq Armada I use as a netbook and I've tried 3 times to buy some extra RAM for it and 3 times it hasn't worked. The RAM was from reputable companies and the spec was spot on but the laptop just doesn't want to know
snakebelly

posted on 3/6/12 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Also check the momory in the os, unlikley but i have seen bios misreporting memory only to boot and find the os sees it all, rare but worth a look.
As already said likely to be a memory mismatch, if both work alone but not together buy a matched pair.
I always use crucial and if its a windows os you cann use the crucial memory scanner to get axactly what the board needs;

http://www.crucial.com/uk

HTH

Chippy

posted on 3/6/12 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
As said within the post, the sticks are a matched pair, both work independantly, so are fine in that they both work. They are both 16 chip, which is what is recomended. The BIOS is the correct most up to date one. The bit that I don't get is the fault code, (see above), that come up at each sign on, any clues as to what that means? Thanks for the replies so far.
Crucial does not help, as say's no recomendations. I have tried Memtest, and that just supports what I have done so far. Regards Ray

MikeRJ

posted on 3/6/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chippy The bit that I don't get is the fault code, (see above), that come up at each sign on, any clues as to what that means?

The BIOS tests the operation of the memory during the POST (Power On Self Test) by writing certain patterns to the memory and ensuring it reads back the expected values. The message you received says that the BIOS read a value from a particular address that was different to the value it wrote.

The address is shown as (hex) 100000000, is that definitely the correct number of zeroes? I ask because the is well outside the address range I would expect for 512MB, but if it had seven zeroes it would seem more logical.

Do you get the error even with one stick fitted? Does the PC work correctly with either stick fitted into either slot (i.e. only one stick fitted in total)? If so do you get 256MB reported in each of the four possible combinations?

Check the contacts on the memory sockets, they can get damaged if the memory isn't fitted correctly.

[Edited on 3/6/12 by MikeRJ]

Chippy

posted on 3/6/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
The BIOS tests the operation of the memory during the POST (Power On Self Test) by writing certain patterns to the memory and ensuring it reads back the expected values. The message you received says that the BIOS read a value from a particular address that was different to the value it wrote.
The address is shown as (hex) 100000000, is that definitely the correct number of zeroes? I ask because the is well outside the address range I would expect for 512MB, but if it had seven zeroes it would seem more logical.
Do you get the error even with one stick fitted? Does the PC work correctly with either stick fitted into either slot (i.e. only one stick fitted in total)? If so do you get 256MB reported in each of the four possible combinations?
Check the contacts on the memory sockets, they can get damaged if the memory isn't fitted correctly.
[Edited on 3/6/12 by MikeRJ]

Hi Mike, not sure with regards the amount of zero's, could well be seven, the error message is not on screen long enough to get a correct count.
Not sure if the error message occurs with just one stick fitted. But regardless of whichever stick is in whichever slot either A or B the computer still shows 256 Mb in all four combinations, so the contacts have got to be good, or at least that is how I see it. Regards Ray

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.