Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: cutting bonnet
ajw

posted on 25/9/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
cutting bonnet

Anybody tell me the best cutting equipement to cut opening for throttle boddies in a new fibreglass bonnet. Want to leave clean edge
big-vee-twin

posted on 25/9/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
A Dremmel would be my preferred tool for that.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

JonT

posted on 25/9/12 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
A recommendation for this sort of stuff would be to buy a Dremel, they're fantastic...

Presuming you don't have one, I'd personally cover the area to be cut first with masking tape, drill a hole in each corner, use a hacksaw blade covered in duck tape and then cover a wooden block with sandpaper (to get a straight edge) and sand back where necessary

Jon

"People were created to be loved, things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in CHAOS is because things are being loved and people are being used"

Hellfire

posted on 25/9/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
We stitch drilled the shape we wanted to remove and then used a pad saw to cut the links between the holes and finished the edges with the dremel. It's a good idea to use masking tape before drilling/cutting/sanding to stop the gelcoat from chipping and also makes the shape easier to mark out with a pencil.

Phil

austin man

posted on 25/9/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
I used a dremmel with a drill bit in it then sanded the edge, you can buy a cutter for the dremmel or Dremmel clones

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

maccmike

posted on 26/9/12 at 01:36 AM Reply With Quote
any type of rotary tool like a dremel
pewe

posted on 26/9/12 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
As above Dremel or similar but try to find some tile cutters (like miniature rotary rasps) - think there are some Bosch ones. Here you go ROTOZIP RK164 ZIP BIT 3.2mm TILE CUTTER 5034914005955 | eBay
Mask out the shape you require and carefully cut the hole - remembering once it's cut you can't put it back - ask me how I know!
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

[Edited on 26/9/12 by pewe]

40inches

posted on 26/9/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I used lots of 2" masking tape to mark out the shape on, hole saw and cordless jig saw with a fine steel blade.
Vents
Vents

fimi7

posted on 27/9/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Agree thick painters tape and a holesaw, if you want to make a perfectly round hole, my big question is how do you figure out where to cut. Measuring that out can be tricky...

--- Ali

40inches

posted on 27/9/12 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fimi7
Agree thick painters tape and a holesaw, if you want to make a perfectly round hole, my big question is how do you figure out where to cut. Measuring that out can be tricky...

Take the radius of the hole you are cutting and reduce the size of the shape you want by that amount, that will give you the hole saw starting points, then join the edges of the holes with the jig saw. Simples?
Description
Description

Ah! Do you mean cutting the hole exactly, so that whatever is poking through the bonnet is central?

[Edited on 27-9-12 by 40inches]

fimi7

posted on 27/9/12 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, the tricky part is getting it central so the trumpets do not look one sided

--- Ali

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.