Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dreamliner , 787 grounded.
karlak

posted on 16/1/13 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Dreamliner , 787 grounded.

Oh dear, perhaps a little more testing was required.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21038128

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

r1_pete

posted on 16/1/13 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
It would seem so, there seem to have been a fair few un related problems

Another Link

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richard thomas

posted on 16/1/13 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Just goes to show, if you are in the market for a large passenger aircraft - buy Airbus!!
snakebelly

posted on 16/1/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Companies have gone to the wall with less serious issues, I dread to think what the daily penalty will be for Boeing !
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 16/1/13 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'm old enough to remember the engines dropping off of DC10's.....

Yes, this is not going to help Boeing. To be selfish, however, it can't but help the guys with jobs on this Septic Isle involved with building the Airbus.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/1/13 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Trouble is, a number of the problems seem to involve lithium ion batteries, which get used in various places around the plane. I don't know which type they use, but we've all heard about the ones in laptops and phones bursting into flames, and the type I use on R/C planes (LiPo) have virtually been banned from passenger aircraft. They're all fine when managed properly, but nasty when they decide to overheat... and once they're on fire, they can't be put out by normal means.

Oh - and the Airbus also has lots of these batteries on board...

Note: Statistically, the number of laptops/phones bursting into flames is incredibly low - it's just that they got a lot of publicity. The number of LiPo batteries (used in R/C) is far higher, mostly due to charging abuse, physical damage, or cheap-and-nasty manufacture. Hopefully the aircraft ones are far better in construction and get proper maintenance!

[Edited on 16/1/13 by David Jenkins]

BenB

posted on 16/1/13 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
They should have used LiFe batteries, much more stable. Lipos are great (use them in my r/c plane all the time) but they swell if you over-use them, they get toasty warm (which causes more swelling), they suffer from thermal runaway and they burn like crazy.

Of course they could have used LiFe batteries in which case I fail to see why they're failing. Even if you short out a LiFe battery it doesn't go boom.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/1/13 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
They should have used LiFe batteries, much more stable. Lipos are great (use them in my r/c plane all the time) but they swell if you over-use them, they get toasty warm (which causes more swelling), they suffer from thermal runaway and they burn like crazy.

Of course they could have used LiFe batteries in which case I fail to see why they're failing. Even if you short out a LiFe battery it doesn't go boom.

I use LiFe batteries whenever I can - I am very wary of LiPo ones, but they do give the best power-to-weight...

kendo

posted on 16/1/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
I'm old enough to remember the engines dropping off of DC10's.....

Yes, this is not going to help Boeing. To be selfish, however, it can't but help the guys with jobs on this Septic Isle involved with building the Airbus.

There are quite a few people in the UK are building bits for Boeing Dreamliners too. Amongst them Spirit Aero in Prestwick.

RickRick

posted on 16/1/13 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
i use lipo in rc cars, never seen one go up, i've seen a couple swell but nothing more, same driver, very high power motor, too much current drain for 20c cells. i've also had an accident with one, in a heli, got pushed back into the spur gear, cut into the layers of the cell, discharged it on a long wire, and into salt water, didn't swell or anything. i think there safe enough if there used within the limits they are designed for charged correctly and looked after correctly
David Jenkins

posted on 16/1/13 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
You are correct - a brand-name LiPo shouldn't burn if it's handled properly and charged according to instructions. Unfortunately it's easy to get it wrong, if you're a numpty...

...but all my batteries are in very good working order, before anyone comments!

britishtrident

posted on 16/1/13 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Whats worrying about about the Dreamliner is it is a number of completely different issues which suggests problems in within Boeing.
Airbus have also had major problems with the A380 and the A350 is way behind its' original in service date.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

T66

posted on 18/1/13 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Oh dear.....

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-18/why-the-batteries-in-boeings-787-are-burning

[Edited on 18/1/13 by T66]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.