Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this fuel pipe ?
nick-york

posted on 30/10/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is this fuel pipe ?

Hi ive just uploaded a picture of the label on some pipe i bought about a couple of years ago . Im trying to get the picture on this thread . Anyway i bought this pipe at the same time and place as my brake pipe. I asked for brake pipe and fuel pipe . Brake pipe is fine but when i check what is supposed to be the fuel pipe i notice there is no mention of fuel pipe on the label !!So have i been sold the wrong pipe ? Or is it iva ok ?Im a bit confused about it ! cheers
adithorp

posted on 30/10/13 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
If it's the kunifer picture in your archive then yes, it's OK for fuel and IVA.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

nick-york

posted on 30/10/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
If it's the kunifer picture in your archive then yes, it's OK for fuel and IVA.
Yes thats the one . Do you know why it doesnt say its fuel pipe on the label ?

adithorp

posted on 30/10/13 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Probably because it's sold as brake pipe. You can also use 10mm copper pipe from the plumbing section at B&Q and that won't say fuel pipe on it either.

nick-york

posted on 30/10/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Probably because it's sold as brake pipe. You can also use 10mm copper pipe from the plumbing section at B&Q and that won't say fuel pipe on it either.
Cheers ! I didnt want to start fitting it and end up taking it out again if it was the wrong type.So thought id better check first .

loggyboy

posted on 30/10/13 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Always best to check!
Its the rubber hose the inspectors get funny about if it doesnt have the right markings.

Mistral Motorsport

adithorp

posted on 31/10/13 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
The IVA inspector will want to see markings (or documentation) on any flexible pipe you use for fuel. So thats any rubber or plastic fuel supply, return or tank breather lines, plus the fuel filler pipe. Thats because the fuel may effect/perish it. Be sure what you use is for the latest fuels (there's a post somewhere about it).

That doesn't apply to hard lines and he'll just want to check it's properley secured to the chassis. There's no recommended distance for the anchr points but most use the recommendation for looms, which is no more than 300mm between mounts.

They'll also check the hose clips on your flexi lines. Standard worm drive (Jubilee) clips will fail due to the radius being fixed where the worm drive is; That creates two little pinches points where fuel can leak. You need specific fuel pipe clips... It's a common failure.

Sorry about the flipant reply yesterday... it was a long day.

stevio73

posted on 1/11/13 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Might I ask what the criteria is fo fuel pipe? Is regular silicon hose okay? Ie the blue stuff?

Quick as a flash...... Nothing happens!

ss1turbo

posted on 1/12/13 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevio73
Might I ask what the criteria is fo fuel pipe? Is regular silicon hose okay? Ie the blue stuff?

Good God no!

Get proper fuel hose - IIRC needs to have printed or embossed on it the relevant standard (SAE J30Rxx where xx depends on if you're using injection or carbs).

Long live RWD...

Paul Turner

posted on 2/12/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Its all here

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=153126

But beware, there is loads of cheap rubbish out there form well known suppliers.

I have replaced virtually all my flexible hoses with TFE hose from Think Automotive but the 2 pieces of rubber will get replaced every 3 years, that is as long as its lasts from recent experience.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.