Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oops, booked a tri !
Simon

posted on 21/12/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, booked a tri !

Had a moment of madness and after 31 years of not running, 7 months of no swimming and only 10 - 20 miles of mtb every week and after the wife spotted a flier in a pub, I have, at the age of 47, entered my first triathlon.

It ain't big - 400m swim, 16 mile bike (on mtb ) and 3.5 mile run/walk

And yes, I'm a bit overweight (bmi approx. 33)!

Any and all advice welcome

ATB

Simon

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 21/12/13 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Well done matey, do it!

I've just last week joined an Olympic Weightlifting Club to whip me in to shape and get my (higher than yours) BMI down.

I'm not unfit.........I'm a latent athlete

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

coozer

posted on 21/12/13 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
My new years resolutions (again)..

Keep away from the gym, brussels sprouts and brandy...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mookaloid

posted on 21/12/13 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Nothing wrong with sprouts but I'm with you on the other 2

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

jps

posted on 21/12/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
How long have you got to prepare?

Best advice is, don't go at it like a bull at a gate and injure yourself. work out a training plan, build up the distances slowly, start with ' penguin sessions. ( run walk run walk etc) to get back into running. buy some new running shoes. Do a few ' brick' sessions, i.e. do a swim then straight into a bike ride, or do a bike ride then a short run straight afterwards...

which event is it?

Simon

posted on 21/12/13 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
How long have you got to prepare?

which event is it?

25th May, so around 5 months

Event is this one (cos it's quite local) : http://orctriathlon.weebly.com/

While I haven't swum for 7 months, I'm not too worried about that or the cycling, the running is my big issue so to speak. But, yep, sticking a couple of disciplines together will be the test.

ATB

Simon

HowardB

posted on 21/12/13 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
there are loads of couch to 5km and 10km in 10week type programmes about, all of them have merit and a common theme which is to build up to it slowly.

For me the 10km in 10 weeks worked best, I am still running and lost about 40lbs in the process,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

speedyxjs

posted on 21/12/13 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Nothing wrong with sprouts but I'm with you on the other 2

Nothing wrong with the Brandy either but who is gym?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Blackbird Rush

posted on 21/12/13 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I've done 3 tri's in the last 18 months again started on a bit of a 'always wanted to try it out' so just booked up the first with 5 months to go and worried on out the training when committed!.

All mine have Been a mix of sprint and super sprint, the last one being 750m swim 22k bike and 5k run, added to this it was as part of the ITU world final event in Hyde park on the Olympic course which was great.

Stepping up my game next year with a full Olympic distance in the Virgin London tri event, with a warm up super sprint at Eton Dorney before.

Not having been able to train properly for the last 6 months due to family illness , I'm hopefully back into training in the new year now all is well, usually get a couple of runs and swims in per week , early morning before work, which suits me! I'm not too worried about the biking part but will go out periodically for a ride and for some brick sessions.

It's a great way to keep fit and really gives you a full work, much better than sitting in a gym!

Ash

Worzey

posted on 21/12/13 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
The running bit shouldn't be too hard. It's only 3.5 miles so a few weeks sensible training will get you a long way.

Get yourself some decent trainers, your local running shop will be able to advise what pair you'll need.

Don't over train. Start off with small runs and build the pace and distance slowly to avoid injury. Make sure you train regularly to build the stamina and fitness and run no matter what the weather throws at you (it's called character building)!

If you can, find a local parkrun event. 9am each Saturday in the local park with hundreds of other runners over a timed 5k course. Times range from 16mins to nearly an hour so you won't be the fastest or the slowest . Look at parkrun.org.uk, their a friendly lot .

Good luck with the tri

Caterham R400

StevieB

posted on 22/12/13 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I've always wanted to get into triathlon but never quite got there.

Last year I put heaps of effort in and got myself in good shape. Then in November I caught proper flu (not the bad colds I'd had before than I thought was flu). Took me 6 weeks to feel normal again and the best part of 3 months to fully recover. That was last Christmas and I've not trained since.

So, come January, I start again the aim is the castle Howard sprint, and if I really are to it I'd like to do the full castle triathlon series.

As word of warning (and to echo other comments) - don't over train and make sure you're eating enough. I trimmed my diet to lose weight and trained hard which my doctor said would be a major contributor to why that flu hit me so damn hard.

Simon

posted on 27/12/13 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Okay, the training starts tonight - when it's dark so no-one can see me Going to try and do a mile - I've used dailymile.com to plot a course locally that's within 60yards of the target distance.

For those interested, I'm doing another blog following my training etc which may be of interest to some.

http://trioptimist.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheers

ATB

Simon

StevieB

posted on 27/12/13 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'll read with interest and use it spur me on towards actually getting across the start line at last! Have you read 'can't swim, can't cycle, can't run' - a good read that follows an unfit bloke from first tri right through to completing an iron man.

Where abouts are you located?

Simon

posted on 27/12/13 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
No, not heard of that but always on the lookout for a good read so I'll add to list

Located in the sunny southeast place called Paddock Wood.

Cheers

Simon

woodster

posted on 27/12/13 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
As said above go for it .... Make sure you buy good shoes and look after your feet, get a good training plan, get plenty of sleep to help with recovery and maybe a sports massage and don't forget to stretch out your leg muscles after running and watch the diet
Peteff

posted on 28/12/13 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Make sure there's a defibrillator handy

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

bobinspain

posted on 31/12/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to shift weight quickly, read Gary Taubes, "Why We Get Fat, (and what to do about it)."
Between 1st jan and late may this year, I dropped 3 stones and carried on to drop a further stone and a half to get to 13st. (180cm. 5'11".
I cycled around 20km a day 4/5 days a week.
(I´m 65 yrs young).
Good luck.

Just seen Craig's post below. Taubes advocates everthing in Craigs's submission. His is a low-carb approach (Not Atkins or 'paleo'.
Pre adopting Taubes' "eating regime" (because it's not a restricted eating solution normally associated with diets) I was hypertensive, had high cholesterol and high triglyceride levels and was on medication. I binned the medication once I'd shed four stones. On going for a blood analysis two months ago, the doc' said, "fantastico!" No pills and my triglys and cholesterol levels are now in the mid-normal range and BP is 130/80.
I eat the diet Craig's outlined.

[Edited on 31/12/13 by bobinspain]

craig1410

posted on 31/12/13 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Good on you Simon, go for it!

However, as others have said, take it easy at first and build up the mileage slowly. You only need to be slightly out of breath while exercising to have benefits, provided you do it regularly and for at least 20 minutes each time. Forget about mileage and heart rate and all that stuff, just get out there and try to enjoy it. Goals can come later.

In terms of shifting BMI downwards, my advice is to increase the amount of fat you eat and reduce carbs. There's a bit more to it than that so I strongly suggest you get a copy of the book, "Grain Brain" by neurologist Dr Perlmutter (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/grain-brain/id721413324?mt=11) and start questioning the ridiculous grain based diet that is conventionally recommended. Since I changed my diet to follow this just a few weeks ago, I have cured the Asthma I have suffered since age 12, reduced my weight from 12 st 4 to 11 st 8 (BMI 23.6 to 23.2) and generally feel more alert and less bloated. I'm fortunate not to be overweight so I'm not doing this to lose weight specifically but that is a side effect. The book goes into a lot of detail about why we should eat more healthy fats and why we should avoid things like gluten and trans fats and is definitely worth a read. The great thing about this is that you can eat lots of things that were previously frowned upon like eggs and meat and cheese. I also eat lots of fish, leafy veg and avocado. It feels more like a feast than a "diet" per se.

If you are sceptical that the above is just another atkins type fad diet then consider that the Swedish government have endorsed this diet to reverse obesity: http://www.dietdoctor.com/swedish-expert-committee-low-carb-diet-effective-weight-loss

HTH, and good luck!
Craig.

StevieB

posted on 4/1/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Damn you Simon - it's all your fault!

I had conceded that I would sell by road cycle, which I've been deliberating over doing for nearly 6 months now but it's too pretty and carbon not to own just to look at.

All this talk of triathlons has inspired me. So, over the last couple of days I've broken out the turbo trainer and got some time in. After the best part a year inactive (a couple of mild attempts to be active here and there but all a bit half hearted and short lived) I've kept it to fairly simple to get the legs moving and get used to my SPD pedals again - I've never ridden with them off the turbo trainer so am looking forward to the inevitable crash when I first venture out onto the open roads.

So, I both loathe you and thank you for inspriing me at the same time

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.