Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which MK chassis is this
Marnoldsson

posted on 29/3/14 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Which MK chassis is this

Good evening everyone. Writing from Sweden. I am on the verge making a deal on an old MK indy chassis. I don't know how old or what model it is. The owner says its the MK indy R but without the rocker type front susp. Something I didn't thought existed. Anyone here know? How are the MKs handling wise, some say its a low quality chassi, anyone here has an opinion?
Thank you very much in advance.

Picture:

jacko

posted on 29/3/14 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Not a indy R
the indy has rounded foot wells as that chassis has
It looks like my chassis
What age is it do you know ?
Jacko

[Edited on 29/3/14 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
yellowcab

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
It's not an early Indy though, headlight bars are not on mine

Would be good to look at rear end if you have a photo.

jacko

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
It's not an early Indy though, headlight bars are not on mine

Would be good to look at rear end if you have a photo.

That type of light bars have been fitted for quite a time now i would think about 6 or 7 years its like my mates bars
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
yellowcab

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry I was agreeing with you - my Indy was registered in 2004 (so the kit was before that) and doesn't have them
PAUL FISHER

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
As already said its a Indy chassis (car engined) not a Indy R, just built to race spec by the looks of it.
Marnoldsson

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thank for really quick replies. Here are some more, poor unfortunately, pics. The only one I have.

jacko

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yellowcab
Sorry I was agreeing with you - my Indy was registered in 2004 (so the kit was before that) and doesn't have them

Snap mine is a 2004 year and what a good year it was
Mine was made by Martin him self
Jacko

yellowcab

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure who made mine… but it hasn't got any of the rear end bracing that the above has got.

So it's an Indy, not an R, and not as early as 2004 lol

jacko

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
That is a indy but with some extra box welded in the rear behind the diff and between the foot wells the chassis is quite new with the seat belt mounts like that with the gussets fitted
Jacko

Marnoldsson

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Allright, thats more than I knew just a few moments ago, Thanks.

I read that some of those had bump steer, some had the pick up point for the rear shock misplaced. Is this sorted on the not-older-than-2004-quite-new-models?
I can assure you that I have googled ALOT but whats written on internet covers both end of the scale but nothing in the middle, 50% says its horrible, and 50% says its great. This is about the car as 95% says the company is impossible to deal with.

[Edited on 29/3/14 by Marnoldsson]

jacko

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
By the way there not that bad to build that you need a rope to hand your self like in one of your photos
Marnoldsson

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
haha! I havent noticed that until now! That is the owners photos, maybe I need to hurry helping him get rid of the frame before he hangs himself.
jacko

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marnoldsson

I read that some of those had bump steer, some had the pick up point for the rear shock misplaced. Is this sorted on the not-older-than-2004-quite-new-models?
I can assure you that I have googled ALOT but whats written on internet covers both end of the scale but nothing in the middle, 50% says its horrible, and 50% says its great. This is about the car as 95% says the company is impossible to deal with.

Well i have had mine for 10 years now it went though the sva first time no bump steer or self centering problems

Im in the 50% that think its a great kit / car and would buy another if i was to buy a kit again
As for dealing with MK i have had good dealings with them all the time i have had my car
Jacko

yellowcab

posted on 29/3/14 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
This is my YouTube channel that you may wish to subscribe to, to see how they handle:

www.youtube.com/trackdaynova

sebastiaan

posted on 29/3/14 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, modified Indy chassis. Pedal box also seems different, maybe to make some more room for a tall driver?

The rear bracing will prove to be quite useful, as normally that bit of the chassis is quite wobbly. Although the center vertical isn't needed at all, it just adds weight. If you want to further improve it, triangulate the engine bay by fitting one or two diagonals from the curved footwell rails to the rearmost upper wishbone pickup points at the front. There's an old post by me somewhere that details what I did, and it made a noticable difference to handling and self-centering.

Marnoldsson

posted on 30/3/14 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you everyone for all info!
I will actually use the chassis for phase II of my s2000 powered Lotus Elan. The car will run a s2000 engine and have a lotus Elan body to it.
Last time the car was driveable, some 6 months ago it weighed 800 kg fully fuelled without driver. Guess the chassis will need some reinforcing.

@Sebastian--> I googled for the reinforcement you wrote about without success, will make further tries tomorrow.

Does anyone has any objections about this type of added weight from a wishbones or other type of view? Hopefully not.
Will keep posting here for updates. Uf you want to look at my (swedish) build thread this far, heres a link.

http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1134578#1134578

And heres a, pointless really, youtube clip
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AjZdkEFFv74

Thanks again!

[Edited on 30/3/14 by Marnoldsson]

sebastiaan

posted on 30/3/14 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go, I was a bit lazy yesterday.... ;-)

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/32/viewthread.php?tid=148892

RSr

posted on 30/3/14 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
http://rejsa.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69794&sid=0d11f1c815347d8415e075d583a8b73d
snoopy

posted on 9/4/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

i wouid say its a 2005/5 the rear braces are non factory as to bump steer if your a perfectionist you may need to shim up where the rack mounts to the chassis to get it perfectly level . as to misplaced shocker mount the rear top mount is in the idea spot for that models suspension setup and works well this was as we all know revised in the latest model cheers charlie

Not Anumber

posted on 9/4/14 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Its a late (ish) Indy chassis with a cage and extra bracing. Its certainly as good as any other 7 / Locost chassis and better than some.

MK have made a big thing of their racing pedegree in recent years which seems to have allowed them to charge more money for their chassis.

If it's about the same money as having a Haynes chassis made go for it, otherwise get someone to knock up a Haynes chassis for you as it's the nearest thing to an Indy, bothe designed by Martin K.

Dick Axtell

posted on 9/4/14 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
....some had the pick up point for the rear shock misplaced.

As I discovered very recently. With the top damper mount tucked right up underneath the "shoulder plates", on to which the roll-over bar is welded, having to replace rear springs is a protracted and tedious process.

Had to undo seat mounts, dismount seat belts, remove rear wings and a small section of bodywork at top wheel centre. This enabled me to undo the damper top mount. Bottom one dead easy. All this just to change springs. And I may have to do it again!!

Should mention that my MK chassis is one of the earlier, live axle type. If I had realised what a rear spring change involved, I would've repositioned the top mounts, to angle the damper slightly inboard. Lower mounts would also have to have been modded.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

Marnoldsson

posted on 9/4/14 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have bought the chassis with all new wishbones with bushes and donorbits (except driveshafts) for 1200 ish pound. As regarded of what ive got, this seems with swedish measures to be fair. The chassis did have some strange mods, pedalbox etc which doesnt look too good but that is not a problem since im going to mod it there anyway. I am not a fan (hostile to be honest) of those bent tubes anyway.
One bit I need is the adapter mushrooms for fitting the transit drag link, some say it should be eccenter bored for caster adjustment, some say it does not affect caster anyways. I know rally design got them for £20 a pair.
Opinions?

Thank you so much for all info btw!

[Edited on 9/4/14 by Marnoldsson]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.