Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT Failure - Headlight Pattern
kendo

posted on 23/6/14 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
MOT Failure - Headlight Pattern

I've just put my 7 through its first MOT and it failed on one of the headlights because it did not produce the correct pattern.

Rather bizarre I thought but the tester showed me and I had to agree. One headlight gave the familiar pattern but the other just produced a bright spot. There is no discernable difference in how they look, there is no damage to the glass lens or reflector so I'm at a loss.

Incidentally it passed the SVA with these lights, but if I recall correctly the SVA tester glossed over that part (due to all the other problems most probably!).

My conclusion is that the quality of the glass lens is the problem. I sourced the lights from SVC orginally many moons ago probably a couple of years before I got it on the road (which was 2010) and it has been laid up for 2 years so there is no recourse there.

Anyway I have bought some new lamps to replace the originals but I can't seperate the lamp from the chrome ring. There are 3 wire clips that hold the lamp in place but I can't figure out a way of releasing them.

Does anyone have any tips?

loggyboy

posted on 23/6/14 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Was the bulb seated properly? Can give funny patterns if its too close to one of the reflectors.

EDIt - just realised the query is for new parts to replace these - to which I can offer no help.
Some pics might aid though?

[Edited on 23-6-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

austin man

posted on 23/6/14 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I bought some lamps many moons ago I belive off SVC and the lens needed to be rotated 15 degrees to produce the beam pattern for the uk market. I do think your problem is more likely to be

A bulb seated incorrectly
B. Bulb has been handled incorrectly ie glass has been touched

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

alfas

posted on 10/7/14 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
once i bought cheapish (H4) bulbs, which also gave a strange pattern.

it turned out that the bulb was not correctly manufactured: the glas was not correctly aligned to the seat, it was rotated some degrees

buy cheap, buy twice!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.