Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hammerite brush cleaner and thinners
chris68

posted on 9/8/14 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hammerite brush cleaner and thinners

Hi guys,

Bit of a cheeky one this - am after the above and it appears from various sources it is currently unavailable due to problems with the caps on the bottles apparently . From what I remember a few years ago when I last had some the thinners are either Xylene based or pure Xylene if so there are various sources available on Ebay.

If anyone has some of the Hammerite thinners would you be able to look on the bottle and see what it says?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

andyace

posted on 9/8/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/web/pdf/safetysheets/SDSHM141.pdf
amalyos

posted on 9/8/14 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
You can get the equivalent from Toolstation, and it's cheaper

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

splitrivet

posted on 10/8/14 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Ive always used cellulose thinners for clean up or spraying hammerite. Someone on here said you cant a while back but its always worked for me with no problems.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

chris68

posted on 10/8/14 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the replies guys as ever. I had thought it was Xylene but not having any to hand.....

Thanks for the headsup regarding ToolStation - just looked and there is a branch 3 miles away form me! Guess where i'm going?

Interesting one about the cellulose thinners - like many I thought you had to use a different stuff

Thanks,
Chris

splitrivet

posted on 10/8/14 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Its a no brainer about £15 for 5 litres of celly thinners against a tenner for half a litre of hammerite clag. If your just cleaning brushes celly will do the job 100% its the spraying thats the bone of contention but as I said Ive used it as have have a lot of guys on the Mig welders forum.
But why you'd want to use Hammerite is another question they should call it chips off right.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

r1_pete

posted on 10/8/14 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Its a no brainer about £15 for 5 litres of celly thinners against a tenner for half a litre of hammerite clag. If your just cleaning brushes celly will do the job 100% its the spraying thats the bone of contention but as I said Ive used it as have have a lot of guys on the Mig welders forum.
But why you'd want to use Hammerite is another question they should call it chips off right.
Cheers,
Bob

I use cellulose frequently for spraying hammerite.

The only thing is sticks to and lasts is fresh coarse blasted steel.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.