Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Battery Conditioner (Charger)
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 18/12/14 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
Battery Conditioner (Charger)

I need to get a trickle charger / battery conditioner for my car because it was flat when I went to start it on Monday.
I guess the limited use at this time of year isn't helping keep the battery alive so it need a bit of help.

Where is the best one / cheapest one available ?
What do I need ?

I will wire in a plug under the dash so I don't have to open the bonnet and mess about with crocodile clips.

Jon Ison

posted on 18/12/14 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
I use a cheapo Aldi one, works fine, I have a 12V socket with a flip cover (lighter) on the dash plug it in there as its wired to be permanently on, also useful for charging cameras phones etc.....
mark chandler

posted on 18/12/14 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap Aldi here as well, works well, the little black motorcycle one.
I also have the Aldi conditioner that was £17 for larger batteries, more like the optimate charger but it does not seem as good so lives in its box now.

steve m

posted on 18/12/14 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I use a solar panel, to top mine up, and even with a grey sky it produces a charge

1.8 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel Trickle Car Battery Charger FREE DELIVERY

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

tul214

posted on 18/12/14 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
NTDWM but this is on offer on Amazon

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

hkp57

posted on 18/12/14 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
With all my years now with both cars and bikes I have always returned to the Optimate, I have tried lost of cheaper ones over the years buts the original is still the best

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

Scuzzle

posted on 18/12/14 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was forever having flat battery issues after leaving the car for months on end but I solved it by using one of the solar trickle chargers plus I added a battery cut off switch to the battery earth lead and now when I lay up the car I just kill the power to the battery earth so the trickle charger is charging but there's no drain on the battery at all. I have to reset the clock and radio every time I want to use it but it's not a big problem as that's not all that often.
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 18/12/14 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle
I was forever having flat battery issues after leaving the car for months on end but I solved it by using one of the solar trickle chargers plus I added a battery cut off switch to the battery earth lead and now when I lay up the car I just kill the power to the battery earth so the trickle charger is charging but there's no drain on the battery at all. I have to reset the clock and radio every time I want to use it but it's not a big problem as that's not all that often.

Just thought about the solar idea, but I keep the car in the garage (beneath a matching cover) and the garage doesn't have any windows. It only has a slight daylight coming in around the doors. It's really dark in there.
If there was someway of keeping the solar part of the charger outside, and running a long lead, that would work.

What model / where can I get one ?

Matt21

posted on 18/12/14 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
I use a oxford oximiser 900

seems to do a great job!
Comes with a wall mounting thing too so it just sits by the engine bay and I plug it in when I pop it in the garage and the power cable is run neatly along the wall out the way

Cant remember where I got it from but it was on offer somewhere for around £20!!

Scuzzle

posted on 19/12/14 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
quote:
Originally posted by Scuzzle

Just thought about the solar idea, but I keep the car in the garage (beneath a matching cover) and the garage doesn't have any windows. It only has a slight daylight coming in around the doors. It's really dark in there.
If there was someway of keeping the solar part of the charger outside, and running a long lead, that would work.

What model / where can I get one ?

I just use a Ring one, comes with a fairly long lead anyway with the option of crocodile clips to the battery or cig lighter plug in, the only thing I don't like about it is there's no LED light to let you know it's actually working. No reason why you could not cut the wire and section in your own to make it longer.

This kind of thing

Ring 12v Solar Panel Battery Chargers For Car Boat Caravan Motorhome Leisure

[Edited on 19/12/14 by Scuzzle]

prawnabie

posted on 19/12/14 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Lidl were doing ctek copy a while back for £13.99 - worth checking to see if they still have any..

[Edited on 19/12/14 by prawnabie]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.