impeller only.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: blacktop zetec reversed water pump market reserch
ivorbigun

posted on 29/12/14 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
blacktop zetec reversed water pump market reserch

Market research

Hi all just to give me an idea of numbers I've decided to do a little research so please help if you can.

If you would be interested in a reversed ( I.E. clockwise running direction ) blacktop zetec water pump complete or an impeller please use the poll above this post.
the impeller will be about £20 and the water pump around £60, this is not a definite price!

I will be posting this on every forum that I can so please only reply once!!!

many thanks and a happy new year to everyone.

Ivan

stevebubs

posted on 29/12/14 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased such an impeller from the states - simply removed the old impeller from the pump and slid the new one on...then got a new pulley made up for the front...
redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 29/12/14 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Stevebubs, was there any problems removing the 'old' impeller and have you had any cooling problems since as there was some mention of the scroll in the pump going the wrong way. I would like to fit one to my race engine and drive it from the dry sump extension pulley which has a water pump pulley built in but it will only fit the early water pump with the 4 bolts. It is a kit supplied by Dunnell...
Paul Turner

posted on 29/12/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Don't waste your time. The Ford water pump was designed for the job and with the aid of an idler pulley (which does not have to cost a fortune) you have a rock solid cooling system.

One off specials are a pain if they die suddenly and then find replacements impossible to get. Standard replacements are available at any factors plus genuine Ford parts rarely go wrong.

Stick with standard.

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 29/12/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Very true Paul. my system works fine as it is running backwards and with jockey. My thoughts were to get rid of the long belt and maybe save a bit of drag. Might consider using a 4 groove belt, as it is only driving the water pump.. Any thoughts.....
Paul Turner

posted on 29/12/14 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redturner
Might consider using a 4 groove belt, as it is only driving the water pump.. Any thoughts.....

The 6pk belt is necessary on a Focus etc because it has to drive the power steering and aircon as well as the alternator and water pump. On a simple set up like a seven a 4pk should be fine.

But why bother. I cannot see what difference the extra drag of a belt a few mm's wider will make to overall performance of the vehicle. The extra drag will be tiny compared to transmission losses, tyre drag, wind drag etc., you would never be able to quantify it.

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 29/12/14 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
This winter the car has been on a diet and I have managed to remove 9kgs from a car that only weighs 420kgs. Maybe I should take a couple of kilos of my arse.....
ivorbigun

posted on 30/12/14 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
Don't waste your time. The Ford water pump was designed for the job and with the aid of an idler pulley (which does not have to cost a fortune) you have a rock solid cooling system.

One off specials are a pain if they die suddenly and then find replacements impossible to get. Standard replacements are available at any factors plus genuine Ford parts rarely go wrong.

Stick with standard.

in that case why don't we all buy a standard ford Mondeo's and play it really safe.
I'm sure Columbus was told not to waste his time.
Aren't most of our cars one off specials in there own way???
I've seen some of the installs with idler pulleys and most are pretty ugly, each to his own.

As for one off specials the minimum order quantity is 250 of each and repeatable within 20 days, I suspect that these will be available for some time, if not from me then from someone else,
I still have to decide weather to go ahead yet subject to market research.

you have to remember that the zetec is fast becoming the new pinto and look how many years they've been around and how many there were!

If these were to fail then a standard one could be fitted as a replacement temporarily, I have found several people that run the standard pump backwards with no problems on untuned engines.
if the pump were to fail then anyone with a bit of savy would be able to remove the impeller and fit it to the new pump.
It's very rare for the impeller to fail it's usually the bearing or the seal!!

there's always more than one way to skin a cat

thanks for your interest
happy new year
Ivan

stevebubs

posted on 30/12/14 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redturner
Hi Stevebubs, was there any problems removing the 'old' impeller and have you had any cooling problems since as there was some mention of the scroll in the pump going the wrong way. I would like to fit one to my race engine and drive it from the dry sump extension pulley which has a water pump pulley built in but it will only fit the early water pump with the 4 bolts. It is a kit supplied by Dunnell...

No issues at all - had the old one milled off...search through my archive on here for the details....if it fails, however, I will be fitting a std pump and idler to replace it...

ETA: Got it from Quicksilver Race Engines in the US...

[Edited on 30/12/14 by stevebubs]

[Edited on 30/12/14 by stevebubs]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.