Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carpentry advice please!
jps

posted on 1/2/15 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Carpentry advice please!

I thought the collective may have some experience, or know a good site to look for hints and tips for a couple of projects...

I need to kit out my new garage with shelving, workbench, storage, etc. I'm thinking of using 2x4 for the framework as much as possible because I can get it for nothing, but apart from that the only objective is 'locost'... I'm especially looking for pointers on the best way to do all the joints...

I also need to build a wall to wall / floor to ceiling bookcase inside, with some cupboards incorporated. Something like this:
http://www.decohubs.com/thumbs/floor-to-ceiling-bookcases.jpg

I've built some similar shelving before from Conti board, but suspect there may be a better material and I don't know how to do cupboards...

rusty nuts

posted on 1/2/15 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Google carpentry hints and tips?
steve m

posted on 1/2/15 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
If I was to do my garage again, or move and start again, mine would be decked out with kitchen cabinets
as much as possible,

unless bought on ebay, probably not cheap though

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

jps

posted on 1/2/15 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Google carpentry hints and tips?

Funnily enough I've already tried that. And found it surprisingly unhelpful, hence asking here (doubtless plenty of other LCB'ers have fitted out their garages?)

JoelP

posted on 1/2/15 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just screw the timbers together with big screws, no need for fancy joins. 18mm ply works well for shelves as it's strong and you can sand the edges. Contiboard will have sharp splinters.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mark chandler

posted on 1/2/15 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
^^^
Forget contiboard, ply is your friend, once screwed to the wall it will not shift, I would let the horizontals into the uprights by 1/2" and screw and glue.

Rosco86

posted on 1/2/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ive made a nice workbench out of 63mm x 38mm studding, glued loads of it together to make the top, you could do the same for your book shelf if you can get it for free, i will get you a picture tomorrow if your interested
talkingcars

posted on 1/2/15 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/v/t1.0-9/533648_689094621107808_1739475290_n.jpg?oh=b99544e13e9ef7682028d56694d9ef18&oe=55229036< br />

This is what I did for shed with free floor boards and 2x4.

[Edited on 1/2/15 by talkingcars]

[Edited on 1/2/15 by talkingcars]

bi22le

posted on 1/2/15 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
When i move i am going to use an old kitchen suite. I was gutted a few weeks back because a sharp looking load of high gloss coloured kitchen units went on ebay including a dishwasher (read greasy bits cleaner) and sink ( always good for a garage) for just over 100.
Absolute bargin.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

samjc

posted on 2/2/15 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Got cheap metal brackets holding up scaffolding boards for shelfs, a bench made of 2x4 which i later added cheap airing cuboard door cut in half to make doors. Also used left over kitchen worktop for my othe counter/workbench in the prosses of extending and reroofing the garage but will be adding loads of waste high shelfing units using 2x2 and left over loft boards.
FASTdan

posted on 2/2/15 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
As said simply use 4" screws to do the joints, no need for anything more complicated - but pre-drill the first member to ensure the joint pulls tight. Myself and my dad (a joiner by trade) have done many work benches/racks etc in our various garages and workshops over the years. 18mm ply for the shelves will be solid as a rock.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Fred W B

posted on 2/2/15 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Pictures of some of my shelves.

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

dhutch

posted on 2/2/15 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Just screw the timbers together with big screws, no need for fancy joins.

I must say this is my method. Dad made a cracking wood bench for himself, 3*3 up rights and 2*3 cross members, lap joined together by an inch, tight fitting joints (you could carry the frames around without the bolts) and then bolted up with coach bolts. Its a work of art, but while if I had a table router I might set up and make them, in all reality life is too short and you can do a lot very fast with good quality large woodscrews.

I would then also glue each join with Polythene woodglue*, at least the ones the make the frames. Secure together, 5mm ply for the back, 10/12 for the shelves of the bench depending on loading and framing used.

Contiboard and other chipboards are fairly crap, but for low-load wipe clean shelving you can do a lot worse then melamine faced chipboard.

*Various brands available, gator glue, gorilla glue two well marketed version. Single pot, fairly fast curing. Shelf life once opened is a few months but dont by more than you need to 'have it in' and expect it to last years.

Everbuild Gator Glue Wood Polyurethane Adhesive - 250ml

Daniel

[Edited on 2/2/2015 by dhutch]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.