Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec 2 l with R1 carbs - setup
Rena

posted on 23/3/15 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec 2 l with R1 carbs - setup

Hi,

I have bought a set of R1 carbs from DanSt. I have problems with the setup. When the eninge goes up to 2500-3000 rpm i starts banging and won´t rev up.

The main jets are 1,8 and the needles are as the following picture.
Fuel pressure about 1 psi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrZ42uyj_Y8

Anybody who can tell me their setup? Needleheight, how many turns with the pilotscrews, etc etc.

Thanks!

[img][/img]

Alfa145

posted on 23/3/15 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
First thing, Fuel pressure should be about 2.5psi
FASTdan

posted on 23/3/15 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

1psi might be a bit low, although unloaded I wouldn't expect this to be an issue. Banging and lack of revs sounds like it is running out of fuel, or an ignition issue - what ignition set up are you using? Again needle heights should not affect unloaded revving so at this stage I would not spend too much time playing with this.

On the other hand, 1.8 is quite a large main jet, but again I do not think this is your issue.

It would also be worth removing the float bowls and checking that all four float valves are free to move in their housing/seat. If the carbs have been stood for some time without fuel these can stick either open (carbs would flood on idle) or shut (which might explain a lack of fuel). We do our best to prevent this but it is an unfortunate affliction of unused carbs.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Rena

posted on 23/3/15 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FASTdan
Hi,

1psi might be a bit low, although unloaded I wouldn't expect this to be an issue. Banging and lack of revs sounds like it is running out of fuel, or an ignition issue - what ignition set up are you using? Again needle heights should not affect unloaded revving so at this stage I would not spend too much time playing with this.

On the other hand, 1.8 is quite a large main jet, but again I do not think this is your issue.

It would also be worth removing the float bowls and checking that all four float valves are free to move in their housing/seat. If the carbs have been stood for some time without fuel these can stick either open (carbs would flood on idle) or shut (which might explain a lack of fuel). We do our best to prevent this but it is an unfortunate affliction of unused carbs.

Ok - I will try to rise the fuelpressure.

I bought the jets from you Dan, so I thought they would be fine.

I will check the float bowls.

The ignition is a 3D Clubman from Dunnell.

19sac65

posted on 23/3/15 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same when setting my cbr carbs up
Spoke to bogg bros who advised me to open the jet up to 1.9 and try it as theyve known zetecs to run on 2+
Ide started at 1.7 and bought some micro drills to take them out bit by bit

snapper

posted on 23/3/15 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
This diagram may help you to understand the relationship between jet, needle, clip etc.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/snapperpaul/C2874EA2-CE95-4CF2-A262-FF7C7A034AF8-532-0000009CAB3228F2.jpg

[Edited on 23/3/15 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Rena

posted on 23/3/15 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
This diagram may help you to understand the relationship between jet, needle, clip etc.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/snapperpaul/C2874EA2-CE95-4CF2-A262-FF7C7A034AF8-532-0000009CAB3228F2.jpg

Great picture! Thanks!

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 23/3/15 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
My standard 2 litre Black Top runs R1 carbs on a DanSt manifold, Fitted with Weber dgv 180 mains and air correction @ .075, making 165 on the rollers. Fuel pressure is set at 2.5 psi. 64 ft, = 2.1 secs.....p.c,just re read your post and you have air at 1.7, sounds like it is running far too weak, mine is .075. We filled the holes with 2-part filler and started at .5 mm the finished at .75

[Edited on 23/3/15 by redturner]

[Edited on 23/3/15 by redturner]

will121

posted on 23/3/15 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I would say start with basics are carbs ballanced, what fuel system are you using, pump/regulator/ignition? if getting fuel level/bowls full doesn't sound like pressure to much a problem as only on light load, and then adjust air screws for a good tickover and old school, check plugs. Or ideal just a narrow band sensor a start
if all above ok I'm going for option more rich than lean

Rena

posted on 31/3/15 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have now checked the cams. They are not in sync. Could that be the possible reason => Not correct timing => missing sparks?

BaileyPerformance

posted on 31/3/15 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you? Can we offer out services?

www.facebook.com/baileyperformance

www.baileyperformance.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
will121

posted on 31/3/15 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Did you have it running before fitting the carbs? And are the cams standard Or not as could be timed different
Rena

posted on 1/4/15 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
Where abouts are you? Can we offer out services?

www.facebook.com/baileyperformance

www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Sweden

Rena

posted on 1/4/15 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by will121
Did you have it running before fitting the carbs? And are the cams standard Or not as could be timed different

Yes - it was running with both Weber and R1 with the same result. Can't rev over 2500 rpm.

Standard cams.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.