Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Apologies - another zetec clutch question.
emwmarine

posted on 8/6/15 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Apologies - another zetec clutch question.

I'm working on the engine installation of my zetec 2.0 now, making the engine mounts at the moment.

Next I have to go back to the engine/gearbox and actually buy the clutch for it.

I have searched on here but haven't managed to work out the latest parts / part numbers that will work. Especially since QH went bust.

I have a 2.0 litre Zetec that i've put the lighter 1.8 flywheel on. Boy is it lighter than the monstrosity that was on the 2.0.

So what clutch plate, clutch cover and thrust bearing do I get and, importantly, where is the best place to buy them from?

Also what is the best starter motor to use.

Any help gratefully received.

Brian

Building a Dax Rush.

tims31

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
I assume you are using a Type 9 GBox?

On mine I fitted the Mondeo 1.8 clutch (#QKT1615AF) which has the same number of splines but is 220mm rather than 240mm for the 2.0ltr

The release bearing I used was the QH one CT133 but if you ask at your local motor factors they should be able to give you an alternative to the QH one.

Dont forget the Spigot bearing FINIS-1554973. That is available from burton power

As for the starter I bought this one but its out of stock at the moment at this place..[ebay]2a37f8343d[/ebay]
Its an Lucas LRS707

[Edited on 8/6/15 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

ianm67

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Hello Brian,
Just been through this process this very weekend........ I have used an LRS 707 starter motor and I fitted a standard MK1 Mondeo 1.6 / 1.8 16V clutch kit to the 1.8 Zetec flywheel. Hopefully motor will be going in this weekend......
Cheers,
IanM

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

emwmarine

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
I assume you are using a Type 9 GBox?

On mine I fitted the Mondeo 1.8 clutch (#QKT1615AF) which has the same number of splines but is 220mm rather than 240mm for the 2.0ltr

The release bearing I used was the QH one CT133 but if you ask at your local motor factors they should be able to give you an alternative to the QH one.

Dont forget the Spigot bearing FINIS-1554973. That is available from burton power

Great stuff. And you don't need to drill the flywheel or change the clutch actuator pivot thingy? Brilliant if it is just fit and forgetish.

Building a Dax Rush.

emwmarine

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67
Hello Brian,
Just been through this process this very weekend........ I have used an LRS 707 starter motor and I fitted a standard MK1 Mondeo 1.6 / 1.8 16V clutch kit to the 1.8 Zetec flywheel. Hopefully motor will be going in this weekend......
Cheers,
IanM

Thanks Ian,

Your engine mounting photos were really helpful as well. Think I will go for the GBS plenum if it fits over my chassis bracing member.

Building a Dax Rush.

tims31

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Nope it should be fine if you've used the 1.8 flywheel. The next job is to find a cable that suites your install

ianm67

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67
Hello Brian,
Cheers,
IanM

Thanks Ian,

Your engine mounting photos were really helpful as well. Think I will go for the GBS plenum if it fits over my chassis bracing member.

When I get the motor in I will be trying to fit the GBS plenum. It appears to be incompatible with my RetroFord alternator mounting kit however so I'll have to be changing that for the GBS version....... I'll post some pictures and let you know how I get on.....

tims31

posted on 8/6/15 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine

I have fitted the GBS plenum, have a look at my blog which has some details that may help.

vvvvvvvvv-----blog address below-----vvvvvvv

Also just looked at my blog and the bearing alternative is LUX alternative (500018410)

[Edited on 8/6/15 by tims31]

austin man

posted on 8/6/15 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
If using the standard 1.8 clutch you need to get the release bearing from a capri I believe the correct number has been posted. You can use the Sierra one however you will not get the full life fro the clutch as the release bearing from the sierra is shorter.

People have fitted the sierra plate to the zetec flywheel this does need drilling and tapping though, I believe the sierra release item is suitable in this application,

The sump needs to be modified in depth for ground clearance and also st the side where the starter fits as the sump holds the starter at an angle usual practice is to cut out a section and than have a piece welded inside the sump to create a depression. Also the starter mote should come from the 1.8 or 2litre DOHC cars if you have a standard pinto starter you can use a 14mm spacer between the bell housing and the starter

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

ianm67

posted on 8/6/15 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
As pictures paint a thousand words:

CT133 thrust bearing (on the right) in comparison to the standard Pinto unit:

The LRS707 starter motor in situ. It is VERY tight to the sump flange (ohh er....) of the Zetec blacktop motor:

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.