Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Hand brake cable
paulbeyer

posted on 11/10/02 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hand brake cable

What hand brake cable do I need to fit to my Indy using the standard rear drum setup?
mad-butcher

posted on 12/10/02 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
I am at the same point and am led to believe standard sierra but have look in the photo archive at cairb i contacted colin to see if he had a photo of the cable route as it is an absolute b######d
regards tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 13/10/02 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure i've heard of people using fiesta handbrake cable on the indy,i'm going too shorten the sierra one clamping the wire together in the tunnel area.

paulbeyer

posted on 9/11/02 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Once you have cut and shortened the handbrake cable what is the best way to re join it?
bob

posted on 9/11/02 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Paul

I'm joining mine with clamps as used on trailers,I will be trying to source these clamps next week so i'll let you know.

bsilly

posted on 9/11/02 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
bob you can get them little clamps out of focus diy... they are a bit fiddly cos theve got small nuts or if you wanna laugh you could do it the robinhood way

mainly digger drivin me

bob

posted on 10/11/02 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
b

i got the ones from focus DIY but they are very different,the trailer ones are 2 pieces of steel with U shape ground out back to back and clamped together.

geoff shep

posted on 10/11/02 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
When I made a Robin Hood, I shortened a std sierra cable by cutting one end off and reforming the nipple rather than cutting it in the middle.
bsilly

posted on 10/11/02 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
yeah thats what im doing. reforming nipples... am gunna squash it real good and mig it a bit just in case

mainly digger drivin me

geoff shep

posted on 10/11/02 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
nipples

I drilled a hole down the centre of the unthreaded bit of a bolt then threaded it onto the cut end of the cable and then clouted it really hard with a sledge hammer!

Can't remember if I tried to tie a knot - probably a bit stiff for that - but its still working 7 years later. I didn't have a welder but best advice then was to chase the exposed cable end back to make a blob.

NB: Cut the cable with a welder or solder the cable where you're going to cut it and use decent snips or the strands will fray and never go back together. This will allow you to unthread and rethread the cable from the outer.

[Edited on 10/11/02 by geoff shep]

theconrodkid

posted on 10/11/02 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
i was given(stole) a special tool for cutting bowden cable,looks just like the ones you use for cutting small(10mmish)
branches on trees n bushes,work just fine.

bob

posted on 10/11/02 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Cant reform the nipple ends on mine as i've got discs at rear,its a sort of hook/eyelet piece so i'll have to clamp it in tunnel.

geoff shep

posted on 10/11/02 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Nipple, stiff, exposed end! - all we need to say now is moist and .... uh oh.

PS: Is that allowed?

[Edited on 10/11/02 by geoff shep]

Mark Allanson

posted on 11/11/02 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Get friendly with an AA patrolman, they have alternative nipples (am I allowed to say that!!!) for almost every cable you can think of.
The nipples have grub screw conversions so they can fix a busted cable on the roadside. I think they are on bonus if they get a member mobile (am I allowed to say that!!!)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.