Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: digging out a basement
smart51

posted on 23/10/15 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
digging out a basement

We looked at a new house today which is built on a hill. At the front, there is a built in garage at ground level, with steps up to the door at the side. The ground at the side and the back is at "1st floor" level.

The garage only extends 2/3 of the way back in the house, which made me think. How hard would it be to have the back dug out? And as the garage is not the full width, the side as well? It's easy enough for builders to put in RSJs and cut doorways into the walls. Is it feasible to dig out a store room and a tool room in the space around the garage?

slingshot2000

posted on 23/10/15 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Should be easy, as long as you can sign very large cheques !
Ben_Copeland

posted on 24/10/15 at 04:49 AM Reply With Quote
Big consideration would be foundations and floor structure.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

David Jenkins

posted on 24/10/15 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
Next consideration will be damp-proofing. There should be some there already (hopefully) that you would have to break into, then you've have to link it up with the new proofing. Not trivial.

jossey

posted on 24/10/15 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
The new house we have just got has that and the back wall is 4ft thick to hold the wall and house up. If it only goes that far back I suspect it was not the owners thinking let's have a smaller garage but more let's not have the house collapse

Get the plans and technical drawings and the calulations the back wall will have a lot of lateral pressure from the outside

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 24/10/15 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
The house was built around 1970, so will be of fairly modern construction. There is a thick mortar line between the top of the garage and the ground floor, which I suspect is the DPC. There's no sign of damp in the garage front to back or top to bottom, though it may be that all the walls are against voids (and next doors garage).

So I guess the worst case is that the new spaces might need to be tanked, at a cost of several thousand.

Here's an odd alternative. Would it be cheaper to dig new footings about half a metre in from the existing and build a new, separate wall and floor with a separate DPC?

smart51

posted on 24/10/15 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
The new house we have just got has that and the back wall is 4ft thick to hold the wall and house up. If it only goes that far back I suspect it was not the owners thinking let's have a smaller garage but more let's not have the house collapse

Get the plans and technical drawings and the calulations the back wall will have a lot of lateral pressure from the outside

The garage on the house we looked at is under the front room and stair well. There is the whole of the back room to open up, less any super thick wall of course. I wouldn't want to alter the structure of the house at all, save for putting doorways in.

kenton

posted on 24/10/15 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
I,m in the process of doing this, about to go away but will post up pics on my return.
Dug out under house going back into hill. went as far as the base of the original foundations. new strip foundation with a new skin wall within the old one.
Must go now..

kenton

posted on 2/11/15 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
During excavation.
[/URL

[URL=http://s1180.photobucket.com/user/southernkitcarclub/media/Kentons/IMG_0258%20Small.jpg.html]

As of today

[Edited on 2/11/15 by kenton]

smart51

posted on 2/11/15 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cool! I take it the original depth was where the block work changes.
kenton

posted on 2/11/15 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, about halfway up you can see the damp course.
steve m

posted on 3/11/15 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Is this the new SKCC clubhouse ?

looks great, and wish I had a void under my house like that !!

steve m

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

tegwin

posted on 3/11/15 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
There was a documentary not so long ago about people doing just this in London... Causing chaos for everyone else around them due to the heavy machinery required.

In some cases they were going 2 storeys down... an interesting feat when most of them were mid terraces! Some pretty nasty horror stories too.. I guess its easier in London as its all gravel/sand.. If you live on solid granite it might be harder!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.