Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Duratec
melly-g

posted on 8/3/16 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Duratec

I know Ive asked this before.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=198339

But does anyone think if I put a 2 litre duratec in my old Cmax to replace the 1.8 i would have any real problems with ECU and fuelling?

I believe the ECU could learn after a while?? I presume from lambda sensors ETC.

The 1.8 is using a bit too much oil for my liking and the 2l is supposedly not as prone to this issue!

[Edited on 8/3/16 by melly-g]

nick205

posted on 8/3/16 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Haven't read the other thread, but for my money I'd sell the C-Max and buy something else. Engine swaps in tin tops are never as straight forward as they sound.

peter030371

posted on 8/3/16 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt very much that the ECU would learn a complete new map and that's if by chance all the sensors, injectors etc are exactly the same.
chillis

posted on 8/3/16 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
The ecu is most likely based on torque modelling so even if you can shoe horn in the 2.5 duratec and everything else matched it wont have any more performance than the 1.8. If it has electronic throttle then that's a cert.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

melly-g

posted on 9/3/16 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I wasn't trying to get more performance, I had heard that the 2l didn't suffer with oil consumption like the 1.8 does.

But looking again last night it happens to both of them so I'll check out the valve stem seals first and go from there.

Cheers for the replies.

Paul Turner

posted on 9/3/16 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
If its running OK just keep adding oil until it dies.

Or if you are desperate to keep it on the road for many years fit another 1.8 which is a good known engine.

nick205

posted on 9/3/16 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
It can be a pain, but there are tools available to allow you to replace valve stem seals without removing the cylinder head - could save replacing the head gasket and quite a bit of time.

mcerd1

posted on 9/3/16 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm told its just as likely to be caused by a dead / blocked / stuck PCV valve or stuck rings...

Obviously the PCV valve and its associated manifold bits are the easiest thing to check / change - so that's what I'm about to do on my one....

If that doesn't solve it then a leakdown test is probably the next thing to check the rings (I would do it first, but I don't have a tester at the moment)

[Edited on 9/3/2016 by mcerd1]

-

melly-g

posted on 9/3/16 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I've got the tool for doing valve stem seals with the head on, just worried about timing with no keyways! I've got the locking pins/bars required but still a bit worried never done a modern engine with timing chain.
Is there an easy way to check the PCV valve without taking it off, as the inlet manifold has to be removed first. Can I check for pressure somewhere like the dipstick or filler?

[Edited on 9/3/16 by melly-g]

mcerd1

posted on 10/3/16 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
From what I hear its probably best to take it off just to check for cracks in the plastic or leaking gaskets etc...
(I'm hoping that this is my problem as I sometimes get other air leak like symptoms and the oil seems to drop so far then stop)

I can't think of any way to check otherwise, it it was stuck shut then you'd likely get some pressure in the crank case, but that would make it hard for the oil to get out that way too (although the pressure might force oil out of other places...)

Oil in the TB is a potential sign of a dead PCV valve, but that still means stripping it down a bit...

I should say that I'm in no way the duratec expert, I'm learning as I go. (I'm much happier playing with my pinto )

[Edited on 10/3/2016 by mcerd1]

-

melly-g

posted on 10/3/16 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
(I'm much happier playing with my pinto )

Tell me about it!! simple old school tech Love it!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.