Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New MK Indy owner
Mash

posted on 19/5/16 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
New MK Indy owner

Hi folks

After a few disappointments, finally found a decent car just outside my budget and picked it up this morning.

Pinto engine, type 9 box, loads of bits and pieces. Looking forward to getting insurance and getting it on the road

Will post some pictures when I work out how

zx12r dug

posted on 19/5/16 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi pal welcome
LBMEFM

posted on 20/5/16 at 04:45 AM Reply With Quote
Well done, just in time for the summer, if we get one of course, have fun and take it easy.
nick205

posted on 20/5/16 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard - plenty of good people and help available on here.

Take care and have fun

Mash

posted on 24/5/16 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome guys

Finally worked out that my photos were too large to up load, so here is one of the car:-

Description
Description

It was apparent that it had one or two rough edges, but I took the dash apart to look at the wiring today and found the biggest mess of spaghetti I've ever seen! This could take some time. Cut out switch was in amongst it all, and the 12v live was just sitting there unprotected amongst some of the dodgiest connections I've ever seen.

Will get there eventually...

Description
Description

[Edited on 24/5/16 by Mash]

Toprivetguns

posted on 24/5/16 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome aboard ! Bet you can't wait to get her up and running

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

CosKev3

posted on 24/5/16 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you've found something better!

Pretty sure whatever needs tidying on your MK won't be a patch on that crock of poo thing you were going to buy!!!

Adamirish

posted on 24/5/16 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash

It was apparent that it had one or two rough edges, but I took the dash apart to look at the wiring today and found the biggest mess of spaghetti I've ever seen! This could take some time. Cut out switch was in amongst it all, and the 12v live was just sitting there unprotected amongst some of the dodgiest connections I've ever seen.

[Edited on 24/5/16 by Mash]

Welcome to the club!

Trust me on this, get the wiring sorted! I had the same issue as yourself, I rogue live wire I didn't know about. Threw the kill switch on one day and saw smoke, lots of it! Cut the kill switch sharpish but the damage was done. A live wire was dangling around in there and somehow found its way to the top of the fuse box.

After I changed my undies, I cut out the burned wiring, replaced it PROPERLY(!) and all is well now. Also went through everything behind the dash while I was at it.

I dread to think what would have happened if I had of been driving the car at the time....

Your first proper drive in the car you will love. These things are just fantastic. Enjoy!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Mash

posted on 25/5/16 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again guys.

Still working on it.....

Spaghetti
Spaghetti

SJ

posted on 25/5/16 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure mine looks much better. I used most of the Sierra loom so lots of spare wire. On the plus side the electrics have always worked perectly
rm0rgan

posted on 26/5/16 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks again guys.

Still working on it.....

Spaghetti
Spaghetti

Out of site, out of mind :-)

Sigs are uncool.

Bluemoon

posted on 29/5/16 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Just take your time with it, but do make sure the electrics are safe, last thing you want is an electrical fire... If in doubt get some local help.. Its a good excuse to find out what you have. I have used the sierra loom but striped out all the unwanted stuff and shorted it as required, now have a huge box of "spare" wire larger than the original loom..

Given the choice I would rather have iffy electrics and good mechanics, but I find the electrics simple to understand.

You could always re-wire over the winter if need be after tidying up enough to make sure it's safe..

Dan

Mash

posted on 29/5/16 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yes thanks Dan.

I'm currently sorting out some critical issues. Made the cutout safe, wired up indicators to a toggle switch and a separate hazard switch (Sierra stalk was shot), and I'll probably do a full sort out later in the year as you suggest.

Mechanically it doesn't seem too bad, fingers crossed Although it does appear to have a wear problem with the left front tyre, so I'll need to check all the front end.

Mash

posted on 11/7/16 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Off driving for 6 weeks while I recover from a hip replacement, so I've started my modifications by ripping out the electrics and replacing them.

Wasn't happy with my indicator/hazard set up, so I've re-wired that using two flashers and it appears to work

Description
Description

Going to set to on wiring up the head lights and the wipers so that I can ditch the stalks altogether, then it will just be a starter switch setup to replace ignition key/steering lock.

Also, painted my screen surround satin black ( was dark blue before)

Description
Description

Just waiting for the alloy sheet to arrive so I can make some new supports

Wanted a Momo Steering wheel to replace my Mountney, but they're about £200 so painted the Mountney spokes satin black instead
Description
Description

Made a carbon fibre disc to cover the hole that should have a horn push, and it doesn't look too bad

Description
Description

Got some new (secondhand) seats coming in a couple of weeks too when I can drive over and pick them up .....

Toprivetguns

posted on 11/7/16 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Juplier - what a beer !

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Mash

posted on 11/7/16 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns
Juplier - what a beer !

Yes indeed My cousin lives in Belgium, and she brings me a crat every now and then

Mash

posted on 19/7/16 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I decided I didn't like the steel windscreen supports as they look a bit rubbish, and they're not both bent the same, plus I'm going satin black screen and supports, so, decided to make some alloy ones:-

[img] Alloy windscreen support
Alloy windscreen support
[/img]

Bought some 4 mm alloy plate from ebay, traced the existing ones shape onto it, and cut them out with a jigsaw, then filed the edges down and drilled holes to match the existing. Going to rub them down and etch primer them and then spray them. I say "them", but I have still to finish the second one off, and it's too hot out in the workshop at the moment

Have removed the sierra stalks plus the top part of the outer column and replaced with a much neater tube arrangement. It seems to work fine without the top bearing, but not sure if I should risk it ?

Mash

posted on 26/7/16 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
So, I searched for info on the top steering column bearing, and the consensus seemed to be that you need somethinng there, so I bought bearing that was supposed to fit in the end of the convoluted tube, but it didn't

My solution was to cut off all of the extraneous bits from the alloy top section that holds the bearing. i.e. stalk brackets, steering lock/ignition barrel. and various lugs. Then I replaced it back on the column:

[img] rubbish ground off
rubbish ground off
[/img]

Then I made up a plastic tube that fits around it and butts up to the convoluted part, and put that in place:

[img] Plastic tube cover
Plastic tube cover
[/img]

Doesn't look too bad with dash in place:

[img] plastic cover in place
plastic cover in place
[/img]

Next job is to cut the holes for the speedo and rev counter, plus all of the toggle switches

Mash

posted on 27/7/16 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Today I cut holes for speedo, rev counter and switches, and then did a test fit:

[img] new dash test fit
new dash test fit
[/img]

Missile switch is to turn on ignition. Decided to put it furthest away so that I wouldn't accidentally knock it off. Any thoughts would be welcome

Still have ignition key (2 position second of which will feed missile switch), indicator switch, hazard switch and warning lights to cut out for.

Not completely sure where they're all going to go, although indicator switch will be top between speedo and rev counter, and lights will be above relevant toggles.

Mash

posted on 10/8/16 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
This is just a small sample of the various bits of tape, cable ties, screw connectors, scotch locks, and general rubbish I have removed from the wiring. It's starting to look a whole lot better now and less likely to self combust Should be just about done in the next few days

[img] Removed rubbish
Removed rubbish
[/img]

Just need to finish it off, and wire up the Rev counter (my addition) and the omex rev limiter (fitted, but for some reason not connected at coil end), and then I can start putting it back together, and fitting the new scuttle and scuttle bulkhead/tray I got from a very nice bloke on here - cheers Indy Bird Old ones were full of redundant holes, and had been knocked about a bit. In fact, old scuttle had bulkhead as part of it, and a separate tray bodged together from alloy plate.

Adamirish

posted on 10/8/16 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
RE your steering column top bearing. When I was doing my quick release and had it all apart, both top bearings were shot and were both difficult and expensive to track down, I scraped the whole ford arrangement and bought one of these in the correct diameter. http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p22810/SBPFL205+Oval+2+Bolt+Pressed+Steel+Bearing+Housing+with+25mm+insert/product_info.html

Luckily enough, the mounting holes were near enough perfect to the existing mounting holes in the chassis. I had to file off about 1mm of the mounting on the car to make it perfect. Now there is absolutely no play at all in the column and an added bonus is if the bearing ever needs to be changed again, it's dirt cheap and easy to find.

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

Mash

posted on 15/8/16 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Adam, might look at some of those if mine go up the Swanny
Mash

posted on 21/8/16 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Managed to get a set of Westfield race seats cheap from a nice bloke on the Westfield forum:-

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Stripped them down......

Seat stripped
Seat stripped

.....and they're definitely Westfield if nothing else

Seat Westfield badge
Seat Westfield badge

Cut an old army roll mat (only a few quid of the bay) in half length ways and glued that to them

Roll mat fitted
Roll mat fitted

Have some stretchy black headlining material I got for my van from the same place, so will be covering them in that

Also got a good deal on an unused Facet red top from a nice chap from here (thanks Jenko)

[img] Facet Red Top
Facet Red Top
[/img]

So now I can remove the mechanical pump and replace it with this one

Hopefully the sun will come out again so I can actually get the car on the road again soon

Mash

posted on 25/8/16 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Think I'm finally happy with the dash layout. Removed th missile switch for ignition and put a bike ignition switch in which energises the savage start button on the second position.

Just need to drill it out to fit the scuttle then clean it up and fit the switch labels

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Speedo cable is a bit "heath robinson" so it will be interesting to see if and how well it works when i finally road test it

rm0rgan

posted on 26/8/16 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Think I'm finally happy with the dash layout. Removed th missile switch for ignition and put a bike ignition switch in which energises the savage start button on the second position.

Just need to drill it out to fit the scuttle then clean it up and fit the switch labels

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Speedo cable is a bit "heath robinson" so it will be interesting to see if and how well it works when i finally road test it

That looks such a difference - good work!

You know you can buy waterproof covers for the toggle switches too - would look good on the black carbon. Dash
Dash

Sigs are uncool.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.