Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Exhaust repacking
sonic

posted on 11/6/16 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Exhaust repacking

Description
Description

I have what looks to be a standard exhaust as supplied by MK for the pinto engine car, it has got a little noisy which is annoying when it next to your right ear whilst driving.

Has anybody repacked on of these and what with?, also as you may be able to see from the picture end cap is pot riveted, I can drill them out and assume use self tappers to refit. it has a slight blow around the end cap which will need sorting.

I would be interested to hear from somebody who has already done this with this type of exhaust.

Thanks

Toprivetguns

posted on 11/6/16 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
I used acoustafil exhaust packing, make sure you don't use too much. The online calculator can be misleading.

I then used hylomar exhaust assembly paste on the end cap.

The pop rivets are annoying, so I'm having M5 hank bushes tack welded to the inside of the cap. Then I can simply unbolt whenever I need to.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

Mikef

posted on 12/6/16 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
As Above, The Acustofil is a bit mis leading as it swells up when it gets hot, gets better after a good blast. Would defn go for some tack welded nuts on the inside instead of using self tappers.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.