Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear shift Extension (install)
hazardpro

posted on 30/9/16 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Gear shift Extension (install)

Well I thought I'd create a new post just in case anyone else wants to fit this, as there are no instructions and its not a 'straight in fit'.

If anyone did it different or has alarm bells ringing re the way i've done it please let me know!

So - I felt the gear lever was just that little bit out of reach for my liking, even though it was a bent gear lever.... it was also very short (not my cup of tea).

So found this: Gear lever extension for type 9 gearbox
(available at other stores etc. etc.)

So it comes with no instructions and I could find nothing online.

Step 1.
First thing is you simply cant install it without taking a cross bar in the Indy frame.... Annoyingly if it was made just slightly differently you could... but I could not get the bast4rd in, so the cross bar came out. I opted to use a hacksaw rather than grind it out... was a simply 10min job. I then filed the edges off. Its not something ill ever see once the top plate is on, so Im happy to leave it like that. I have read on older posts that MK say it is OK to remove the cross bar.... however Im going to weld in another cross section slightly further up just to be safe..

Step 2.
I actually found it a lot easier to install with the gear level in place as you can use the lever to easily line up the gear shift selection shaft. Once I had the plate in place the first thing that rang alarm bells was just how close the gear shift selection shaft was to the prop shaft (approx 6mm!) - for me thats way too close....

I had read on here about someone who had installed a gear lever extension.... the plate had sagged and clipped the prop shaft.... snapped his gear box casing in half!!!

Read about that here!

Luckily (looking at the pics of his one, the one I have purchased is a lot more beefy... so that shouldn't happen... but I still wasn't happy with how close it was to the shaft.

So to get around that I packed the plate up with some washers (2 on the underside on each of the front bolts and 3 on the one closes to the rear of the car. That raised is and levelled it out by about a further 5mm +.

I also needed to pack out some washers on the top, otherwise the supplied bots are too long to screw all the way into the gearbox housing. They do supply plenty of washers... so maybe thats what you are supposed to do anyway :/ (again no instructions).

Now thats done I can slide my index finger between the prop shaft and the gear shift selection shaft. Again this still seems pretty close to me but thats the max I can separate it.....

Im still waiting for a new "heavy duty"
gearstick saddle (without this your gear stick will feel wan*y as hell) - but the position of the lever is perfect... So much better than before. My hole position is the car is more like a 'Touring Car' position (same as my sim setup) which for me is perfect.

Note however if you are intending on using a short/stubby gear lever it may not be right for you, as its likely the handbrake will get in the way.

Im running a 250mm quickshift gear lever

I hope this helps someone else with the install. Likewise if anyone thinks Ive done it 'wrong' please do let em know

Doug

[Edited on 30/9/16 by hazardpro]

[Edited on 2/10/16 by hazardpro]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.