Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham Windscreen
Mash

posted on 3/10/16 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham Windscreen

Just in case anyone is looking to get a screen, the Caterham ones (normal, not wide body) fit pretty well. There is a little overlap, but with some careful bending of the stanchions you can get a reasonable result.

I got mine because I wasn't happy with the fit of the screen I had as the overhang was too much and that left a gap between the top of the triangular part of the bracket, and the scuttle/bottom corner of screen.

Only problem with the Cat ones is that they are difficult to get, the factory charge about 500 quid for them and that's just the screen in it's frame, no stanchions ! Glass on its own is about 100 quid, and it says on the web site, "MOT fail racing use only", so I suspect it isn't even laminated!

I managed to get a secondhand one from the Cat Facebook marketplace, and it had stanchions for 110, but the screen was well cracked, so I have just taken the old screen to the local glass cutters, Tower Glass in Bournemouth, and they wanted 63.80 inc the dreaded, for a laminated one. Not marked laminated, so not sure how that will go when MOT time comes round.........

Thinking about setting up the old scuttle as a track one with an aero screen, so could re-fit that just for the MOT I suppose.

mackei23b

posted on 3/10/16 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham race screens are laminated, just not marked up.....

A lot of the racers use yk plastics for their screens, got one on my Caterham, made from the same stuff as police riot sheilds...

mcerd1

posted on 3/10/16 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
...so I have just taken the old screen to the local glass cutters, Tower Glass in Bournemouth, and they wanted 63.80 inc the dreaded, for a laminated one. Not marked laminated

yeah, most places charge a little extra for the bit of the sheet with the mark on it...

also I think the caterham windscreens they sell now are heated - so the price isn't as bad as you think (at least not all of them anyway...)

[Edited on 3/10/2016 by mcerd1]

-

big-vee-twin

posted on 3/10/16 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
I paid 85+vat for mine but it was kite marked, the guy cut it by hand and made 4 attempts at it, before getting it cut.

[img] Screen2
Screen2
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

mackei23b

posted on 4/10/16 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by Mash
...so I have just taken the old screen to the local glass cutters, Tower Glass in Bournemouth, and they wanted 63.80 inc the dreaded, for a laminated one. Not marked laminated

yeah, most places charge a little extra for the bit of the sheet with the mark on it...

also I think the caterham windscreens they sell now are heated - so the price isn't as bad as you think (at least not all of them anyway...)

[Edited on 3/10/2016 by mcerd1]

Yes, the standard Caterham windscreens are heated, the race ones are not.

Mash

posted on 4/10/16 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Yes the race ones are listed as "plain" on their web site, which I take to mean not heated, which still makes them a bit pricey compared to what I've paid, but that wasn't my point folks, I was just pointing out a cheaper route for anyone that needed one

Regarding the heated ones, they don't list a heated screen on the site without the frame, although they may sell them separate if you call I suppose......

didn't even think about asking for a price for the logo from my place

Mash

posted on 6/10/16 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Well, had some good news on the windscreen

One of my mates on another forum is an MOT tester, so I asked him if not having the logo was a problem, and he said:-

"we only check the screen for damage, and as long as its not a temporary screen (ie emergency plastic film) and that there are no stickers or other obstruction within the wipers swept area then there are no problems"

So it looks like the £63.80 has not been wasted

Will still be keeping the old scuttle and putting an aero on it though, for track use and "just in case"

SJ

posted on 6/10/16 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
My screen is from a glass cutters without any markings and has never given me any problems at MOT time. I've been through at least 5 MOTs at two different places with it.

Stu

David Jenkins

posted on 6/10/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
When I bought my screen from a local supplier (a neighbour's brother ran the business!) I asked about this - he etched their company mark in a corner for me. I think this is something that most auto glass suppliers can do.

It isn't good enough for IVA as they require a mark that's 'built-in', but more than adequate for everything else.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.