Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Guy Martin + Orange MTBs (Youtube)
nick205

posted on 7/11/16 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Guy Martin + Orange MTBs (Youtube)

Morning all,

I'm not one to post youtube links, but as some of you will know I'm big into cycling. As it happens I'm also quite a fan of Guy Martin on TV (I find him engaging, enthusiastic and easy to watch). As a result of this last night I found a youtube video of Guy Martin at the Orange bicycle factory in the UK.

I like very much the made in England approach of Orange bicycles and to be told about it by Guy was (IMHO) good...

Not for all I'm sure, but if you like Guy and bicycles then worth a watch. I also found Guy's first go at TIG welding interesting as was his virgin attempt (and knowledge improvement) at powder coating. Personally I understand the powder coating process, but Guy didn't and seeing him learn about it was really fascinating.

[Edited on 7/11/16 by nick205]

[Edited on 7/11/16 by nick205]

SJ

posted on 7/11/16 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I like Guy but think he comes across as a bit of a plank in that video. You'd think he would have come across powder coating before now.
nick205

posted on 7/11/16 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
True - I was surprised about his lack of awareness off powder coating.

Shooter63

posted on 7/11/16 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think it was for TV purposes after all he fixes trucks for a living and races bikes so I'm pretty sure he's come across it more than once or twice

Shooter

nick205

posted on 8/11/16 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
I think it was for TV purposes after all he fixes trucks for a living and races bikes so I'm pretty sure he's come across it more than once or twice

Shooter

My thoughts, workshops and bike racing people are generally exposed to this type of thing. For example my Dad runs a garden machinery business and is a John Deere dealer - many of their parts are powder coated rather than painted so he's pretty familiar with the process. As has been said before on here trying to touch up damaged powder coat is difficult too.

SJ

posted on 8/11/16 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:

Shooter

My thoughts, workshops and bike racing people are generally exposed to this type of thing. For example my Dad runs a garden machinery business and is a John Deere dealer - many of their parts are powder coated rather than painted so he's pretty familiar with the process. As has been said before on here trying to touch up damaged powder coat is difficult too.

Shame they couldn't have found a way of explaining it without making him look like he didn't understand.

nick205

posted on 9/11/16 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

quote:

Shooter

Shame they couldn't have found a way of explaining it without making him look like he didn't understand.

I suspect there was an angle of "production" there aimed at explaining it to the general public who may not be familiar with it. As I said above I'd be surprised if Guy himself is totally unfamiliar with powder coating - it is a fairly well known technique. I'd have thought many "lifed" race bike components are powder coated.

[Edited on 9/11/16 by nick205]

FASTdan

posted on 9/11/16 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Great video, thanks for posting that! I'm always intrigued by Orange as I love their frame designs and the fact they are made locally.

I think Guy Martin usually pitches just about right and as has been said the powder coat bit was more than likely for the camera's. Its a shame they didn't touch on the heat treating process though.

I hope Guy continues on this line of video/tv program, I really do find them inspiring.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.