Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Impact Wrench - Battery Powered
Plunky

posted on 7/4/17 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Impact Wrench - Battery Powered

I've been searching for a half decent impact wrench/driver for a while now.
Can anyone recommend something that will do most things and is reasonably priced?
Thanks,
Liam

Slimy38

posted on 7/4/17 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
I know you've specified battery power, but I got myself one of the Clarke mains powered ones. It's quite powerful and much cheaper than battery ones.
rash12

posted on 7/4/17 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
not cheap but very good this is mine 3/8 drive does all i want it to do and more

rusty nuts

posted on 7/4/17 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rash12
not cheap but very good this is mine 3/8 drive does all i want it to do and more

Mines the same , even the colour . A seriously good bit of kit , it will even undo wheel bolts in most cases

Plunky

posted on 7/4/17 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
quote:
Originally posted by rash12

Mines the same , even the colour . A seriously good bit of kit , it will even undo wheel bolts in most cases

I'm sure this is a good bit of kit, bit too expensive for me, as it wouldn't be worth the investment for the amount I would use it.

peter030371

posted on 7/4/17 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have this one with the bigger battery pack and it will deal with any wheel nut I have tried so far http://www.direct-powertools.co.uk/PBSCProduct.asp?ItmID=17772163&AccID=103701&PGFLngID=1& amp;gclid=CjwKEAjw8ZzHBRCUwrrV59XinXUSJADSTE5k0BFPwX1lTCJYSlsomRgwyqB-Tt24CkkcWrsqKJ4epBoCGsrw_wcB

Sorry for the mess above, tablet interface is crap!

spiderman

posted on 7/4/17 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
If your spending "Snap On" money look at the Milwaukee range.

I have used one of these and they are spectacular.
Milwaukee M18CHIWF12-502X 18v FUEL 1/2" Impact Wrench - 2x 5Ah Batteries

1500 Nm torque. Smaller cheaper ones available but I have no experience of them.

[Edited on 7/4/17 by spiderman]

Spider

overdriver

posted on 8/4/17 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Has anyone considered (or tried) the Clarke 12V battery powered offering? Even if it has only moderate performance it's worth having around for that sort of money.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cir13c-1-2in-impact-wrench-kit-12v/

Michael.

John P

posted on 8/4/17 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Lidl one which looks almost identical to the Clarke one above.

Nothing like a Snap On but was good for some very tight bolts like those holding the cover on my diff, which I couldn't move by hand even with a length of tube over the sliding bar of a socket set. (In fact I managed to bend the bar trying it this way).

John.

RoadkillUK

posted on 8/4/17 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've just spotted this on HotUKDeals. Current price is £26.05

It's not battery, but it is cheap, I've ordered one and there's a long waiting time, but I'll report back in a few weeks.

Silverline Electric Impact gun 240V

[Edited on 8/4/17 by RoadkillUK]

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scotty g

posted on 8/4/17 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I use the Ryobi ONE+ range and love all the tools. Impact driver is good but the 90 degree drill has been a godsend.
Slimy38

posted on 8/4/17 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by overdriver
Has anyone considered (or tried) the Clarke 12V battery powered offering? Even if it has only moderate performance it's worth having around for that sort of money.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cir13c-1-2in-impact-wrench-kit-12v/

Michael.

Don't bother, it won't even remove a wheel nut. 125 lbft is the tightening torque of the average wheel nut, it would need an extra 20 or so to come back off again, and you're already above the rated capacity of this device.

ian996

posted on 8/4/17 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
I have the dewalt one, it's ok, but nothing compared to the snap-on my friend has. Though I've heard the Ingersol-Rand are pretty potent.
phelpsa

posted on 9/4/17 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
I've got this one:

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cir220-24v-cordless-impact-wrench-2/

Had it 3 years, not found a wheel nut it won't undo!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John P

posted on 9/4/17 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Originally Posted by Slimy 38

Don't bother, it won't even remove a wheel nut. 125 lbft is the tightening torque of the average wheel nut, it would need an extra 20 or so to come back off again, and you're already above the rated capacity of this device.

Is that correct? I thought a typical wheel nut would be nearer 125 Nm or roughly 92 lbft

John

Slimy38

posted on 9/4/17 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John P
Originally Posted by Slimy 38

Is that correct? I thought a typical wheel nut would be nearer 125 Nm or roughly 92 lbft

John

I've seen anywhere from 100 to 130 lbft for road cars. My wife's peugeot has quite thin bolts and is at the lower end, my old SEAT had chunky bolts and were towards the top. Although as I type perhaps it is bolts that are higher, my MX5 donor wheel nuts were in the 90's.

John P

posted on 9/4/17 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Came across this.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/hu/hu/continental/automobile/themes/technical/literatures/torque-settings/torque-settings-en.pdf

Seems the torque figures vary from as little as 85 Nm to as much as 180 Nm. That being said I have never found a problem using the very cheap Lidl unit I bought although it's a bit inconvenient having to connect it to the car battery to use it.

John.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.