Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another Zetec Thermostat housing question...
rm0rgan

posted on 21/4/17 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Another Zetec Thermostat housing question...

As others have done/suggested I'm taking off my water-rail kit and reverting back to a standard Zetec cooling arrangement....the car came with the water-rail kit on it so I don't have the old housing etc.

I've got a new thermostat housing but there are no holes premade to fit my temperature sender. I'm guessing this is so people can fit different senders etc

So, two questions...

i) What's the best way to create a hole for the water temp sender? Is it simply drill a hole and then tap in a new thread?

ii) Also, does it matter whether the water temp sender is in the upper or lower section of the housing? There are two 'spaces' for senders and my brain thinks the lower one but the higher one would be easier to access.

Thanks very much for any help :-)

[Edited on 21/4/17 by rm0rgan]

Sigs are uncool.

coozer

posted on 21/4/17 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yes,,there, underneath. That's where ford put them in the early days. Top one is for the Ford ecu but as the years have gone on ford have moved the sensors and blanked the holes.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 21/4/17 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Or, if your not using the heater outlet on the back just fasten the sensor in with a short piece odd rubber hose, like I did...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rm0rgan

posted on 21/4/17 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Or, if your not using the heater outlet on the back just fasten the sensor in with a short piece odd rubber hose, like I did...

That's a good bit of thinking...might take a look! :-)

Sigs are uncool.

nelmo

posted on 21/4/17 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
I put the sensor in the top, based on the fact it was easier to get to and I thought there was less chance of a leak.

Details in my blog here...

[Edited on 21/4/17 by nelmo]

Build Blog

tims31

posted on 22/4/17 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rm0rgan
As others have done/suggested I'm taking off my water-rail kit and reverting back to a standard Zetec cooling arrangement....the car came with the water-rail kit on it so I don't have the old housing etc.

I've got a new thermostat housing but there are no holes premade to fit my temperature sender. I'm guessing this is so people can fit different senders etc

So, two questions...

i) What's the best way to create a hole for the water temp sender? Is it simply drill a hole and then tap in a new thread?

ii) Also, does it matter whether the water temp sender is in the upper or lower section of the housing? There are two 'spaces' for senders and my brain thinks the lower one but the higher one would be easier to access.

Can I ask where you got the housing from and how much please. I have a leak on mine and need a new one but frauds want £125 for one. May have to try a scrappy for one but could also have the same problem

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

chris

posted on 22/4/17 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
got mine off ebay Thermostat with Housing Ford Focus Mk1 Maverick 1.8i /2.0i Zetec E Petrol Engine

[Edited on 22/4/17 by chris]

tims31

posted on 22/4/17 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris
got mine off ebay Thermostat with Housing Ford Focus Mk1 Maverick 1.8i /2.0i Zetec E Petrol Engine

[Edited on 22/4/17 by chris]

Thats more like it, Thanks

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

rm0rgan

posted on 22/4/17 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31
quote:
Originally posted by rm0rgan

So, two questions...

Can I ask where you got the housing from and how much please. I have a leak on mine and need a new one but frauds want £125 for one. May have to try a scrappy for one but could also have the same problem

Yup - got mine here off fleabay £16 delivered....

THERMOSTAT WITH HOUSING AND GASKETS FOR FORD FOCUS MK1 [1998-2005]

Don't forget to order new bolts if you need them - they came from here for £3.99

Ford Thermostat Housing to engine block Bolts 1.8i, 2.0i Zetec Focus MK1 Mondeo

The prices Ford and other places wanted were nuts...Eurocar wasnt too bad if I recall, up around the £25 mark and normally in stock so you'd get it on the day if you really needed.

Sigs are uncool.

rm0rgan

posted on 22/4/17 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nelmo
I put the sensor in the top, based on the fact it was easier to get to and I thought there was less chance of a leak.

Details in my blog here...

[Edited on 21/4/17 by nelmo]

Cheers - I see from your blog that you stuck an ECU sensor in there which is correct for you. The water temp sender is normally in the lower bit I believe as this then reads the temperature during warm up as water is coming in via the bypass circuit - I suspect it will make little to zero difference in reality and like you would give me better access... blog looks good!

Sigs are uncool.

nelmo

posted on 22/4/17 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah, the ECU sender needs to read an accurate temp so needs to be before the thermostat itself. I have another temp sensor after the thermostat but that will only read anything useful once the engine is up to temp and the thermostat opens - no good for an ECU but fine for the dash temp gauge.

Glad you like the blog - I'm one of those saddo's who actually enjoys doing the blog as much as the build

Build Blog

stevebubs

posted on 22/4/17 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I've put sensors in both - dash sensor in one, and the ECU sensor in the other... used Think auto to get the necessary adapter for the upper one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.