Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Removed g'box oil seal - scratched housing
jps

posted on 1/5/18 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Removed g'box oil seal - scratched housing

I removed the rear oil seal on my Type 3 gearbox this morning. That was a pig of a job - I couldn't help but lever off the output shaft (which had quite a bit of movement in it) and the old seal absolutely disintegrated into a mess of twisted metal and fragments of rubber before it came out. At one point a spring came flying out so I was pleased afterwards to get online and find out that 'garter springs' exist...

Anyway - I nicked the housing a bit. Not the actual face where the seal will sit - but the tapered section leading into it. I.e the bit that is like \ before it goes | for the actual seal to face onto.

Apart from smoothing it back with emery paper - do I need to do anything else? And how the hell are you supposed to get seals out without damage???!!

cliftyhanger

posted on 1/5/18 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Without see it, difficult to say if it needs the damage sorting. But a rub with fine emery paper to remove high spots as a minimum. Then possibly some epoxy (JB weld?) if deep, and/or a smear of hymolar or similar if not deep.
As to removing seals (and core plugs etc) these things are really good: (example only, mine is a draper, had it for years)
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht267-seal-puller-tool/?da=1&TC=GS-040210267&gclid=CjwKCAjwoKDXBRAAEiwA4xnqvzcroDAlWI5W4FWMzO03lDbRxXn32dFeRm ZxlNIwwMqNvz038Ro-pxoChwoQAvD_BwE

jps

posted on 1/5/18 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
As to removing seals (and core plugs etc) these things are really good: (example only, mine is a draper, had it for years)
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cht267-seal-puller-tool/?da=1&TC=GS-040210267&gclid=CjwKCAjwoKDXBRAAEiwA4xnqvzcroDAlWI5W4FWMzO03lDbRxXn32dFeRm ZxlNIwwMqNvz038Ro-pxoChwoQAvD_BwE

Exactly the tool I was using! It mostly just ripped through the front face of the seal - then I tapped the front of the seal inwards a bit - to fold in into the hole - then gave it a final good pull with the tool and it popped out...

I'll try the hymolar - I would say the scratch is not deep (well under 1mm).

Hard to get a good photo of it

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Bigboystoys

posted on 1/5/18 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Just polish that out so it's not sharp, as you said the tapered surface does nothing for the sealing just don't want it damaging the new seal as you put it in.
nick205

posted on 1/5/18 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboystoys
Just polish that out so it's not sharp, as you said the tapered surface does nothing for the sealing just don't want it damaging the new seal as you put it in.

Ditto - make sure the lead in cone hasn't got any raised sharp edges that would damage a new seal going in.

bart

posted on 2/5/18 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
Use a half round file not emery to knock high spots of. Then put emery on file face just to finish.

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

jacko

posted on 3/5/18 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
And if not to late tape the hole to stop shavings getting in the box
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.