jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!
Building: brought Jester.building a Jester own a Striker

posted on 20/1/19 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
xflow to zetec in a jester

Has anybody done this on here.Or no some one that has done this engine swap From xflow to Zetec the car that I am looking at buying has no engine in now or gearbox was taken out by the present owner it was a xflow before. the jester will be for trackday fun only no mega tuneing just straight out of the car less fuel injection just twin 40/45 carbs that way I hope to do away with a lot of wireing loom just basic loom like xflow
Any Info Please

big_wasa

posted on 21/1/19 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
I had a quick look when I briefly owned one. There isn't a lot of room under there. It would require metal work to the chassis and probably the body work as well.
jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 21/1/19 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info When I picked up from Sylva auto kit I asked Jeremy if a cvh would fit as I had a race turned engine at the time he said it would need work injoy the car with the xflow which was ok back then as there was loada about then now there going for silly money where as the zetec are all o Dr the place for a few hundred pounds
big_wasa

posted on 21/1/19 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
From memory the chassis rail was very tight on the x flow. The zetec being twin over head cam is much taller.

That said with time and skills anything is possible.

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 21/1/19 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
I did go to what was the Jester centre at one time to pick up the curved fiberglass screen. The demo that they had there was the T Bar with the screen being made of metal tubeing running down to the floor they said they where working on cvh fitment as well.They did say there would have to be a lot of chopping about to get it to fit. So it looks like as you said the zetec runs high so it's going to take a lot of money & work to get it to fit right I will have to keep looking for a xflow as I no that fits

How long did you keep yours for.
It seems loads where sold for people to build or built for people but you dont see any about

obfripper

posted on 22/1/19 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
A sport ka 1.6 rocam should fit in without too much issue, it's not much taller than a crossflow, the engine mounts might need some modifications to fit and the exhaust is at the rear of the engine.
The ka's can rust as fast as an 80's lancia, so you could probably find a whole car as an engine/gearbox donor and transplant everything required, or use just the engine/box (+spark control of choice) and have a pair of twin 40's sticking out the front.
It's 100bhp on the standard injection, you might see 110-120bhp on twin carbs and a better exhaust system, tuning parts are not so common but available from south africa and brazil.

Dave

big_wasa

posted on 23/1/19 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I only had it six months, I just didnt have any where to keep it. I got it running with one of my Esc units, I broke the window screen ( whoops ) I lost interest when I couldn’t see a way off getting a Zetec in there so I nicked the Cobra Roadster seats and headlights. And sold it back on for around what I paid for it.

I wonder if it ever lived ?

If you just want it running pick up an old ford Ka. The endura e engine was bassed on a xflow as was the Mexican 1.3 ro cam. I thought the 1.6 sport ka was a Zetec se ? Maybe another option ?

[Edited on 23/1/19 by big_wasa]

obfripper

posted on 23/1/19 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
The 2003 on 1.3/1.6 ka engine is a brazillian/south african rocam unit based around xflow bottom end internals (the south african version was machined using the same tooling) and a sohc roller follower head, somewhere between a cvh and a pinto in design and more compact than the zetec se.

I would think a esc unit would do the spark fine for carbs, one from a 1.4 cvh would have fairly appropriate spark timing given the similar combustion chamber.

Dave

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 27/1/19 at 01:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I only had it six months, I just didnt have any where to keep it. I got it running with one of my Esc units, I broke the window screen ( whoops ) I lost interest when I couldn’t see a way off getting a Zetec in there so I nicked the Cobra Roadster seats and headlights. And sold it back on for around what I paid for it.

I wonder if it ever lived ?

If you just want it running pick up an old ford Ka. The endura e engine was bassed on a xflow as was the Mexican 1.3 ro cam. I thought the 1.6 sport ka was a Zetec se ? Maybe another option ?

[Edited on 23/1/19 by big_wasa]

That's a shame you didnt keep it. Thats only the second blue one I have seen The Sylva Auto kits Demo ( the first one ) got a new body tub in to a blue

I see an Endura e engine for sale And fought to myself that looks like a xflow engine well there you go nice to see ford using as much of the old stock with a bit of rebanding.I did see a couple of Mk2 Fiesta engine when I looked in to it there was talk of engine mounting being diffrent so left them alone.
I see your steering wheel I dont now what it was about it a few years ago everybody went benetton colours mad I have got the gear knob in the same colours on my long time build Lol...

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 27/1/19 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
The 2003 on 1.3/1.6 ka engine is a brazillian/south african rocam unit based around xflow bottom end internals (the south african version was machined using the same tooling) and a sohc roller follower head, somewhere between a cvh and a pinto in design and more compact than the zetec se.

I would think a esc unit would do the spark fine for carbs, one from a 1.4 cvh would have fairly appropriate spark timing given the similar combustion chamber.

Dave

Great thanks for the info Guys will have a look about and see if I can see if I can good one.

Would anybody no if the newer engine is a 4 or 5 speed gearbox

jester
Contributor

Posts 169
Registered 21/5/17

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 27/1/19 at 01:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
A sport ka 1.6 rocam should fit in without too much issue, it's not much taller than a crossflow, the engine mounts might need some modifications to fit and the exhaust is at the rear of the engine.
The ka's can rust as fast as an 80's lancia, so you could probably find a whole car as an engine/gearbox donor and transplant everything required, or use just the engine/box (+spark control of choice) and have a pair of twin 40's sticking out the front.
It's 100bhp on the standard injection, you might see 110-120bhp on twin carbs and a better exhaust system, tuning parts are not so common but available from south africa and brazil.

Dave

Ah

the engine mounts might need some modifications to fit and the exhaust is at the rear of the engine. and have a pair of twin 40's sticking out the front

This one might not be any good as the bonnet has a very steep slope on it. So there will be no room for the carbs at the front

big_wasa

posted on 27/1/19 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
There was an orange jester on eBay last week. The wife nearly had a fit when I showed here the add, she didn’t even remember the blue one I’ve had so many “toys”.

I am sure the ka with endura e engine had a five speed box.

I thought the steering wheel was somthing to do with Harlequin colours being a Jester ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.