Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Talon TMXR Build
tom225

posted on 31/10/19 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Talon TMXR Build

So thought I had best get a build thread up on here for the new project!

An unfinished project I picked up from facebook at abit of a bargain price.

Talon Motorsport chassis with full 1.8 mk2 MX5 running gear.

Will be getting stand alone ECU and a Turbo and then being made road legal

Although engine needs remounting as current mounts are poor and the roll cage.... well yeah thats getting cut up for the scrap pile.

However it did come with a proper Talon chassis, protech shocks and all the bodywork and it is in a rolling state.



First plan of action is to get the car stripped down to do a full assessment of what I actually have in my hands, see what can be used, what needs to be fixed and what really needs to just go in the bin!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gary gsx

posted on 4/11/19 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Tom

I am building a TMXR chassis so will be following your build progress. I will be sticking a charger on mine but that's after its on the road.

Whats your location?

Gary

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom225

posted on 4/11/19 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gary gsx
Hi Tom

I am building a TMXR chassis so will be following your build progress. I will be sticking a charger on mine but that's after its on the road.

Whats your location?

Gary


Hey Gary,

Im literally just acros the water from you on the Isle of Wight!!

Funnily enough we also have a Supercharged MX5 Locost in the works down the unit, although that is a Locost race chassis.

Are you building the TMXR chassis from flat pack kit?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gary gsx

posted on 4/11/19 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes mate i also purchased wish bones and the diff mount its rolling now but on hold while i do some decorating keep the boss happy.

Do you know what body work yours has fitted?

Gary

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom225

posted on 4/11/19 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gary gsx
Yes mate i also purchased wish bones and the diff mount its rolling now but on hold while i do some decorating keep the boss happy.

Do you know what body work yours has fitted?

Gary


Believe its Equinox bodywork but not 100% sure.

If im honest, its rather rough and poorly finished.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
gary gsx

posted on 4/11/19 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
If its rough i dout it would be from equinox i purchased there panels and they are spot on

Gary

View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom225

posted on 4/11/19 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gary gsx
If its rough i dout it would be from equinox i purchased there panels and they are spot on

Gary


Fair enough.

Honestly didnt get much info from the seller.

Basically it came up mega cheap, i knew it was a factory talon chassis/wishbones/diff, and a mk2 mx5 1.8 running gear.

so snapped it up, anything extra was a bonus.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
PorkChop

posted on 4/11/19 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
That's Saturn bodywork, or rather it's bodywork from the moulds that Saturn used to own. The moulds have been owned by quite a few different people over the years since Mark Bean made them and I'm not sure where they've ended up now. My Saturn bodywork was fine in terms of quality.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom225

posted on 4/11/19 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
That's Saturn bodywork, or rather it's bodywork from the moulds that Saturn used to own. The moulds have been owned by quite a few different people over the years since Mark Bean made them and I'm not sure where they've ended up now. My Saturn bodywork was fine in terms of quality.


Thanks for the info PorkChop.

Yeah If i had payed decent money for these I wouldnt be happy.

not trimmed at all, and a few dry spots in the layup aswell. it will serve the purpose though after some clean up.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom225

posted on 26/12/19 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
So been doing some playing with the car.

Some good news, some not so good,

Found out the exhaust can is a genuine Westfield carbon fibre item worth 500

However the car is now stripped down to a pretty bare chassis.

Got a good few bits of previous owners work to fix...

For some reason the engine has been moved from the factory Talon position and the new gearbox and engine mounts are horrific.

The roll cage was just drilled and bolted through the top chassis rails no reinforcing plates.

The Steering column is in the wrong position and wonky.

The exhaust mount needs a crush tube adding.

Pedal box is useable but I have a bias bar box here so that's going to get swapped out.

Then it's turbo kit and wiring!!

Description
Description


Description
Description


Description
Description

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
miskit

posted on 27/12/19 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
I am on the south of the island and have a supercharger that I am not going to use. I bought it because the body fits the MX5 engine layout like a glove saving a lot of fabrication- pic http://forum.retro-rides.org/post/2477664/thread .

My sandrail has plenty power though so not needed.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
tom225

posted on 28/12/19 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by miskit
I am on the south of the island and have a supercharger that I am not going to use. I bought it because the body fits the MX5 engine layout like a glove saving a lot of fabrication- pic http://forum.retro-rides.org/post/2477664/thread .

My sandrail has plenty power though so not needed.


Fellow islander!

In fact I've seen the sandrail around in the past.

Thanks for the offer of the supercharger. However already got all the kit for a turbo conversion and it's something we have done on 3 other cars already so a well known path for us.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.