Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Master cylinder piston travel
Slimy38

posted on 24/8/20 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Master cylinder piston travel

How far does the piston on a master cylinder need to travel? I can understand it being a lot smaller than pedal travel, but how far is it?

I also expect it will be different depending on whether it's for brakes or a clutch?

steve m

posted on 24/8/20 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
My floor mounted setup, the brakes travel was about 15mm,
Clutch to the floor was around 25mm

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/8/20 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Stick it in a vice and push a screwdriver in the end till it bottoms out. There's no one size, they come in all sort of sizes. If you get the part number off the side and stick it in google you may be very lucky and get a spec but I've never seen that and would much prefer to measure it myself.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 24/8/20 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
My floor mounted setup, the brakes travel was about 15mm,
Clutch to the floor was around 25mm

steve

Perfect, that's the sort of travel I have at the moment, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Stick it in a vice and push a screwdriver in the end till it bottoms out. There's no one size, they come in all sort of sizes. If you get the part number off the side and stick it in google you may be very lucky and get a spec but I've never seen that and would much prefer to measure it myself.

My first thought was to see how far it can physically travel but it ended up going quite far, a good couple of inches from circlip to base. That would equate to maybe 8 inches or so of actual pedal travel!! But then it occurred to me that the pressure of the circuit would prevent it going to full travel (under normal circumstances).

The clutch is a bit different as there would be very little resistance and so it could travel further. And that ties in with the 15mm and 25mm travel that Steve describes.

It sounds like I'm in roughly the right place though, I can do slight tweaking once everything is in the car. Thanks both.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.