Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Re-Power
MrMaddog

posted on 7/12/20 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Re-Power

I have the chance of a 1.6 MK with 1.6 Pinto.
Just wondering if its worth re-powering with a 2.0 L or something similar?
Its running a standard Sierra Diff I believe.
Is this a fairly straightforward job and what sort of cost is Involved ?
Want a Car for road and Track.

Mark

big_wasa

posted on 7/12/20 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was a 1.8 pinto with factory inlet and exhaust. So 75 ponies at a guess.
It was great fun on track and road. On the road it was hard to get into trouble. On the track I got lapped by just about everything but still loved the experience.

It's now 16v 2.0 turbo with around 250 ponies and a lot of torque.
I haven't driven it much yet but Its to much for me its a proper handful.
If I keep it I recon 160~180 N/A is the sweat spot unless you really can drive.

2.0 Pinto's aren't as cheap or easy to get as they used to be but at least it should bolt out / in.
I would skip the zetec's but a 1.8 is still a viable option.
1.8 mx5 running grear is cheap and plentiful at the moment.

[Edited on 7/12/20 by big_wasa]

nick205

posted on 7/12/20 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
On the practical side increasing from 1.6 to 2.0 Pinto keeps your exhaust pipe on the same side of the vehicle. When I built a 2.0 Pinto MK Indy it involved cutting a tailored hole in the side of the bonnet for the exhaust to pass through. I'd imagine you can retain the same exhaust system between the 1.6 and 2.0 Pinto as well.

big_wasa makes a fair comment that 2.0 Pintos aren't as cheap and plentiful as they used to be anymore.

The next engine step I'd consider would be a 2.0 Ford Duratec. This again keeps the exhaist system on the same side as the Pinto. No idea if the exhaust systems are interchangeable though. You'd have to consider the fuelling system as well. Duratec I guess would lean toward injection, which would probably mean additional fuel plumbing, time and cost.

Overall I'd either buy the 1.6 Pinto'd car (if it's a well built car) and get used to driving it. Remember these cars are significantly lighter than everday tintops so even with smaller capacity engines they're still going to feel pretty rapid. You're also much closer to the ground and more open to the elements, which makes a huge differene to how fast things feel.

nick205

posted on 7/12/20 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
MK Engineering (as it was called back then) supplied exhaust system.

[img][/img]

[Edited on 9/12/20 by nick205]

Bridge Auto Spares

posted on 9/12/20 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
On the practical side increasing from 1.6 to 2.0 Pinto keeps your exhaust pipe on the same side of the vehicle. When I built a 2.0 Pinto MK Indy it involved cutting a tailored hole in the side of the bonnet for the exhaust to pass through. I'd imagine you can retain the same exhaust system between the 1.6 and 2.0 Pinto as well.

big_wasa makes a fair comment that 2.0 Pintos aren't as cheap and plentiful as they used to be anymore.

The next engine step I'd consider would be a 2.0 Ford Duratec. This again keeps the exhaist system on the same side as the Pinto. No idea if the exhaust systems are interchangeable though. You'd have to consider the fuelling system as well. Duratec I guess would lean toward injection, which would probably mean additional fuel plumbing, time and cost.

Overall I'd either buy the 1.6 Pinto'd car (if it's a well built car) and get used to driving it. Remember these cars are significantly lighter than everday tintops so even with smaller capacity engines they're still going to feel pretty rapid. You're also much closer to the ground and more open to the elements, which makes a huge differene to how fast things feel.

Hi all

I still have a few 2.0 pinto engines available as well as a few loose cylinder heads

Bridge Auto Spares

posted on 9/12/20 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
[img][/img]

I still got a few pinto engines and a few cylinder heads

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/12/20 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say buy it and learn to drive the car properly and then if you really need more power you'll know it.

Nothing wrong with a 1.6 pinto in such a small car anyway for road use and over powered cars are no fun at all.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MrMaddog

posted on 10/12/20 at 05:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice chaps!
Bridge Auto Spares

posted on 10/12/20 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there

The pinto engines i have is 205 blocks

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.