Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sidepanel/rearpanel joint
ReMan

posted on 8/10/05 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Sidepanel/rearpanel joint

Looking for inspiration as to how to deal with the point where these two meet, specially as when i've cut away the bit around the roll bar, im not going to have much left to butt-join.
Any gems? Rescued attachment 162_6282SML.jpg
Rescued attachment 162_6282SML.jpg

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Triton

posted on 8/10/05 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Nice ali cover plate perhaps.....Think Hellfire bloke did something neat with this?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 8/10/05 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
it looks a lot better, imho, to leave the rear panel low, so that the top of the curve lines up with the top of the square side panel.

i cut mine so that the back panel came up to the square plate for the roll bar.
when fastening it on, as the back panel is about 2mm thick, and the side panels just over 4mm, i skia'd the side panels on, then the rear panel, just to a rough depth. then using a snap off knife, cut the siakflex at the top, wedge to the right shape, and fill back up.

the picture is early on, just taped in postion, it didn't end up loking like that!
hth
tom Rescued attachment square curve.jpg
Rescued attachment square curve.jpg

Triton

posted on 8/10/05 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Square pegs and round holes going on there....two different shapes meeting like that will always be hard to hide.....what does the end result look like?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 8/10/05 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
it looks a lot better, imho, to leave the rear panel low, so that the top of the curve lines up with the top of the square side panel.

i cut mine so that the back panel came up to the square plate for the roll bar.
when fastening it on, as the back panel is about 2mm thick, and the side panels just over 4mm, i skia'd the side panels on, then the rear panel, just to a rough depth. then using a snap off knife, cut the siakflex at the top, wedge to the right shape, and fill back up.

the picture is early on, just taped in postion, it didn't end up loking like that!
hth
tom

I remember discussin this with you at Newark.
I am considering a cover, but the butt join goes all the way to the rear wing...
Yes square peg round hole = crap

[Edited on 8/10/05 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Messenjah

posted on 8/10/05 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
if you do as indykid sugested and leave it low so that the top of the curve lines up with the top of the flat bit surely you could blend it in and make it a nice smooth shape with some filler or something i suppose though if you want the gelocoat to be the color of the car and arent going to be painting it it wont look good ...

basically ignore me lol

indykid

posted on 8/10/05 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
can't seem to find a picture of the join in final form.

tbh, it's never drawn my eye since the car's been finished, and it blends in well, unless of course you're specifically looking for it. i think with the mat being a sort of beigey colour, and the gel yellow, it stands out a lot less than with other colours.

as long as the butt join down to the back arch is tight and level, it'll look a damn sight better than other's i've seen. just take your time, and remember, if you get enough clamps on it, glass fibre'll sit wherever you want it to

i'm definitely not a fan of the 'cover plate' idea though
tom

BKLOCO

posted on 8/10/05 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
So......is this an example of the "famous" MK quality?
Hmmmmmmm

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

indykid

posted on 8/10/05 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
better famous than infamous

tiger

tom

Hellfire

posted on 8/10/05 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
It really depends on how 'finished' you want your Indy to look. Round panel to square panel just don't go together even if you try to blend them in. Attention to detail is what makes each Indy individual. For us it wasn't a case of 'if you don't specifically look for it you won't notice it'. If you leave them butted together, you WILL notice it.

Come up with a novel way to cover it and it becomes a distinctive feature of the car.

shortie

posted on 8/10/05 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is round rear panel to square side and to be honest no-one has noticed and certainly no-one has commented on it.

Something I remembered about mine, wait until you fit the rear arch BEFORE you fix those bits of the side\rear panels in place, this way you can pull them out a bit if there is a gap between the side\rear panel and the rear arch!!

Ring me mate if you want a better explanation.

Rich.

mac1ZR

posted on 8/10/05 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ours looked ok but we made these: Rescued attachment rear.JPG
Rescued attachment rear.JPG

mad-butcher

posted on 10/10/05 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
i just put 3 layers of f/glass over the join when cured removed it and sanded it down Rescued attachment Pa100037.jpg
Rescued attachment Pa100037.jpg

ReMan

posted on 11/10/05 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. Keep an eye out for me perving body panel joints at Donnington on Saturday
I think I will try to do a cover , possibly in a colour matched ABS.
Cheers

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.